Bet Victor Gold Cup Cheltenham Sat Nov 17th

Done my bollocks in on last 2 races. Gutted I couldn't watch it. Seems Kalondra was never in the race anyway from what I'm reading. I'll watch it tonight.

It was 5 out. Was trading below BSP. Rave fell apart up front and the winner was all out to be beat one off the bridle a long way out. The potential first 4 home were all on the deck.

The clue is "revised mark" :lol:

Fuckme but I've backed a total of ten horses today. Of the eight to have run so far, Frodon and Sweet Home Chicago are the only ones to get round and Heskin cost SHC a place with an inept tactical ride.

The clue is "revised mark" :lol:

Fuckme but I've backed a total of ten horses today. Of the eight to have run so far, Frodon and Sweet Home Chicago are the only ones to get round and Heskin cost SHC a place with an inept tactical ride.

Toughest day I've had in a long time.

Heskin is getting some abuse today, it can't all be without merit.

Last edited:
Of the eight to have run so far, Frodon and Sweet Home Chicago are the only ones to get round

The other two were Speedo Boy and Mellow Ben (4th 33/1 by the look of it and bookies seemingly paying the fourth place) so I've managed to recoup just about all of my outlay.

I'll settle for that now!

Not sure if he was being cool or cowardly on The Worlds End.

It was like it was a different horse from the one that jumped them stupid at Chepstow. At the bottom of the hill I was thinking this is some tool to win after jumping like a snooker table. I'd have taken 1/5 at that point. A very tame effort up the hill.

Just seen the replay. 6 finishers! So basically we get to do this all again in December?

Yes!

When I said 'great race' I meant it.

We had a Festival pace, fallers, unseats, mistakes, heroics.

And all came back safe and sound.

Entertainment of the first order even if it lost me a packet :)

Yes!

When I said 'great race' I meant it.

We had a Festival pace, fallers, unseats, mistakes, heroics.

And all came back safe and sound.

Entertainment of the first order even if it lost me a packet :)

I have to be mischievous and ask you what you think of the race as a handicapping savant?

I'll need to get back to you once I've crunched the numbers.

Just in terms of it being a satisfactory race? Can you draw any worthwhile conclusions on those that hit the deck bar MWTT? 6 finishers must be annoying.

Last edited:
I see what you mean in terms of few finishers but Frodon ran well (could have been more fluent at a few fences) and since the pace was strong from the off, I'm inclined to take a positive view of the form. All I can do is rate the finishers as the others departed too soon.

Whether the non-finishers would have been involved is moot for the time being. If, for example, I conclude that Frodon has run his race then I can conclude that Baron Alco has improved. If the figure I come with for BA is less than my projected figure for Kalondra, I can take comfort from still having backed the right horse.

Last edited:
Meant to say...

I got a call yesterday afternoon not long after the big race from my brother (who isn't as cynical as me) asking whether I thought the Benatar - Baron Alco thing was one big put-away by the Moores.

On reflection, he's probably right. I suspect Benatar was a decoy all along.

If Kings Socks had stood up he wouldn't have been out of the first three. He just made that one mistake, which is all it takes to end your chance. It looked to me like a combination between wanting to chuck Tom Scu off and trying to dive through the fence as the pace was increasing. A novicey mistake to make. I wonder if they will give be him a surprise entry over the smaller obstacles in a handicap hurdle in the near future. That would be worth watching!

Last edited:
Rather Be would of pi$$ed this had McGrath negotiated a clear passage...end of

I was seriously unimpressed with McGrath today on Claimintakinforgan and Verdana Blue. The former, considering he was reported to have jumped well last time, hardly met a fence right in the first mile and I'm not convinced he was serious about winning on the latter.

I think jockeys should be made to study Sam Waley-Cohen video replays on how to get horses to meet fences on a stride. I don't think there is better out there.

It's a ridiculously deep race and I still think Kalondra is going to be extremely difficult to beat, let alone kick out of the frame. I was in town today and made a rare visit to the bookies to see the first race. I looked at what Kealy had to say while I was waiting. I don't know how often he does this but I noticed he had what looked like a space filler at the end of his item in which he emphasised how strongly he fancies Kalondra. I still think it will shorten up again in the morning and could go off about 5/2.

I think if Pricewise was putting up Frodon word would have been out before now and it would have gone blue.

I can actually see me taking out some sickness insurance on stablemate Roman De Senam despite his defeat last week. I have a very high rating for him and he was very heavily backed last week but I was never entirely happy with the ride he got without it actually looking like a non-trying ride. I wouldn't put it past Nicholls to have used that race as a prep before coming out after a win here (assuming a mishap for Kalondra, of course :p) and saying he just needed t last week, or it was too short, not run to suit, etc etc etc.

I havent been able to log in for a couple of days.
Romain de senam was my main bet in the end and i agree with everything you said about him.pity the first fence got in the way.Baron Alco was my saver.

Rather Be was absolutely cantering when brought down 4 out.

Was definitely going ok but look to his right and Adam Wedge hasn't moved a muscle. 4 out is fully 10 furlongs out at Cheltenham and there was at least 8 of the first 9 yet to be asked a serious question.

Guitar Pete was under pressure but he finds for pressure while King Socks who looked to be going ok finds SFA in his races.

It would have taken some performance for any of the fallers to have beaten the winner who was very impressive IMO

Back