Bet Victor Gold Cup Cheltenham Sat Nov 17th

Question for Kolondra backers. Would it surprise you that it only traded at a low of 7.2 in running at Galway?

I'm not familiar with in-running markets but Sub Lt would, I imagine, have been odds-on at the point at which K fell.

Fair comment. The market has really tightened up on it. Mad that Pricewise still moves the market despite a pathetic strike rate.

Fair comment. The market has really tightened up on it. Mad that Pricewise still moves the market despite a pathetic strike rate.

I reckon it's the bookies suckering punters into believing a gamble is developing. They get the word at 5pm (as the paper goes to press) on what he's putting up. They cut it and punters want to get on before it shortens any further, thus causing, if not a snowball effect exactly, a further contraction for a while.

The really annoying thing is when the likes of us coincide with PW's selection. We end up not getting the better odds more via bookie manipulation rather than genuine market strength.

Still, we're all on Kalondra at 11/1 and better, aren't we :lol:

Last edited:
I reckon it's the bookies suckering punters into believing a gamble is developing. They get the word at 5pm (as the paper goes to press) on what he's putting up. They cut it and punters want to get on before it shortens any further, thus causing, if not a snowball effect exactly, a further contraction for a while.

The really annoying thing is when the likes of us coincide with PW's selection. We end up not getting the better odds more via bookie manipulation rather than genuine market strength.

11/1? We're all on at 100/8 :lol:

Did Benatar not shorten dramatically yesterday? Last I looked was 13/2...More suspect practices from the rotten bookmaking industry???

Did Benatar not shorten dramatically yesterday? Last I looked was 13/2...More suspect practices from the rotten bookmaking industry???

Maybe not 'dramatically' but it did go blue across the board. I mentioned it on here just after DG posted his warning about its health.

I'm not convinced it's down to suspect practices, though. Few people distrust bookies more than I do but usually when there's a doubt the odds, especially at Betfair, tend to lengthen. The practice of shortening up prices tends to take place where, say, something gets loose or appears lame at the start and is being checked by the vet. I don't think R4 would have been in play at the time DG's message came through yesterday and it wouldn't affect ante-post bets.

Kolondra didn't tighten up on the machine until around 8pm when the ipad version goes live.

Maybe not 'dramatically' but it did go blue across the board. I mentioned it on here just after DG posted his warning about its health.

I'm not convinced it's down to suspect practices, though. Few people distrust bookies more than I do but usually when there's a doubt the odds, especially at Betfair, tend to lengthen. The practice of shortening up prices tends to take place where, say, something gets loose or appears lame at the start and is being checked by the vet. I don't think R4 would have been in play at the time DG's message came through yesterday and it wouldn't affect ante-post bets.

There will have been a lot of bets affected by the rule 4. It's more annoying than anything cynical.

Decs were midday on Thursday. All bets after that are subject to a rule 4.

Are you sure about that, Slim?

I'm pretty sure I was told (when I made a similar enquiry a couple of years ago) that it's ante-post rules until something like 4pm the day before, even with 48h decs.

The 1:50 was a great race to watch. My fancy Royal Vacation has run a huge race, which probably would have been enough to win 9/10 renewals. Coneygree back in third, with a back-to-form winner in the shape of Rock The Kasbah.

Last edited:
The 1:50 was a great race to watch. My fancy Royal Vacation has run a huge race, which probably would have been enough to win 9/10 renewals of the same race. Coneygree back in third, with a back-to-form winner in the shape of Rock The Kasbah.

Stuck in work so can't watch the racing. very surprised to see Cogry not even place.

Last edited:
Cracking performance from Baron Alco. Frodon is an unbelievably tough horse, run an absolute stormer.

Hope all the horses are safe and sound, very messy race.

Great race, very worthy winner. Well done Baron Alco's backers. He wasn't really on my radar and the price would have put me off anyway.

I was already swearing at the ride Kalondra was getting when Fehily got it wrong once too often. He hardly met a fence right but there was no need for him to be so far back. I know he's a hold-up horse but that was ridiculous.

Frodon might well have pulled it off with a better round of jumping. He just fiddled a few too many for my liking.

Backers of Mister Whitaker are also entitled to spit a bit of blood at the ride he got.

Race fell apart with the fallers. The winner being out in front was worth about 10 lengths. Unsatisfactory race.

Oh dear old Kings Socks. What would have happened if he had stood up at that fence. Fair play to the horse. He was trying.

Done my bollocks in on last 2 races. Gutted I couldn't watch it. Seems Kalondra was never in the race anyway from what I'm reading. I'll watch it tonight.

Back