At the Start
Cloudy Lane 8.g
Exotic Dancer (FR) 8.g
Gungadu 8.g
Kauto Star (FR) 8.g
Ollie Magern 10.g
Snoopy Loopy (IRE) 10.g
Tamarinbleu (FR) 8.g

Of those only Gungadu and Cloudy Lane really have a realistic shot at the Betfair Million (top 3 here, similar at Cheltenham i think it was and then win the National).

I shall be there; there's a fair chance I will be so inebriated by the time the race starts, I will be convinced that Kauto is beatable. And regret it.

As a reminder, The Betfair Million is now

1. Finishing first, second or third in the Betfair Chase at Haydock in November; and
2. Being placed first or second in ANY race at the Cheltenham Festival in March; and
3. Winning the John Smith's Grand National at Aintree in April

A few of the entries could have interesting enough handicap hurdle options at Cheltenham, whatever about the National. Or do they have to win a chase?

As a reminder, The Betfair Million is now

1. Finishing first, second or third in the Betfair Chase at Haydock in November; and
2. Being placed first or second in ANY race at the Cheltenham Festival in March; and
3. Winning the John Smith's Grand National at Aintree in April

Switching the second and third parts so it was winning any race at the Festival and then finishing in the first four of the National would make it more interesting and getable.

The bonus includes any race at Chelt. It brings in any of the hurdles, perhaps only realistically the Pertemps (Miko de Beauchene reverted from chasing to be second in that last year). I wouldn't just focus on who is going to finish 3rd on Sat though, the handicapper is likely to give Exotic and Kauto a real chance in the National. I reckon the true odds of anyone winning the bonus are between 33/1-40/1.

If Kauto Star or Exotic Dancer were enticed to run, it would actually put Snoopy Loopy or Cloudy Lane in with a decent weight. The problem with the Pertemps is prequalifying.

Not so in Ireland anyway, Martin. Running in the Leopardstown qualifier means you're qualified for the Festival heat as far as I'm aware.

If Kauto wins, he equals The Glorious Beefy (tm)'s haul of 10 open Grade 1 victories. Interesting that both of them will have done so without ever competing in a Grade 1 at novice level.

You'd miss the Beef or Salmon argument that would resurface around this time of year, every year?

If ED is beaten again, it really will continue to be one of the most unfortunate sagas i have known in racing. Hes a cracking good chaser of course and (despite connections some may say) would be truely dominant if he hadnt come across the two best chasers since DO

All obvious of course, but easy to forget

Back