Betfair Chase

Not so sure. That's 3 of his last 4 runs that would have you concerned and in the other he was never tested and won without having to get within a stone or more of his best.

I would have though Tidal Bay would go for both 6th Dec Tingle, 26th King George more than enough time for both.

Did Sam Thomas really have to steer him around the home straight like it was Cheltenham's Cross Country course?

LOL! Agreed, he needs a quiet ride
KS got very flustered and once he starts to make mistakes.... But he slipped after the last.
It was imo too easy for him on the first circuit and he lost concentration too.
ED on the other hand was fighting AP all the way round and shaking his head about

A very strange race, and hard to know what to make of it at all.
One thing is for sure, KS will be very sore tomorrow and it make make him hesitant in future, to have made that many blunders

I'm delighted for Bowen and esp for Seamus though, and what a bonny little battler Snoopy is!

Sam Thomas was entirely responsible for putting the horse on the floor - he rode it like a complete twat. What was he thinking of, jumping a fence on buckle end with reins like washing lines? If he had a hold of it he would have re-balanced him. I hope he loses the job with Nicholls, why he has it when the only thing he is good for is wrestling them to the ground is beyond me.

And no, I didn't have a penny on.

I'm no expert on how to ride a horse my first reaction was Ruby Walsh wouldl not feel much better watching that from at home.

I was asked shortly after the race what did I think Ruby was saying. I can only imagine "c*nt" figured largely.

I can't find the picture that was on the Racing Post today. It was off Sam Thomas in mid air detached from the horse. It's the best racing picture I've seen in a while. I'd imagine it will take pride of place of Ruby's on bed side as a motive to recover.

Would have to agree with Shads that Thomas didn't cover himself in glory today.

I was surprised to see him being ridden before the third last to be honest, given he had travelled so well to that point; of course, he may well have gone on to pick off Tamarinbleu with relative ease had he winged the third last, but there's no point engaging in hypotheticals.

Given how ST rode Kauto, the amount of work he had to do, the way he presented him at fences etc. those more cynical than me might suggest it now looks that bit easier for a recovering from illness Denman next March.

Playing Devil's Advocate here:D

Would it be too provocative to ask whether KS was possibly the best of a not-quite-top-class bunch around at the time of his Gold Cup win?

I think that's being unkind to KS.

It's very hard to keep a horse at the top of the heap for any great length of time. Those who have succeeded in recent times, like Best Mate and Istabraq, have been more lightly campaigned. KS on the other hand had one fantastic season in 06-07 in which he won a slam of top chases at a variety of distances and a huge bonus into the bargain. He also had a very good 07-08.

He ran like a horse on the decline yesterday. As did ED .

They should have blown that lot away - look how much closer Ollie Magern got than in previous years .

I will believe Denman is OK when I see him on a racecourse again . The GC now looks wide open and Neptune Collonges could be the one .

I bet Mouse Morris wishes he hadn't kept W of A at home now

I doubt it Ardross. They are talking it step by step with the horse. The last race he won at Thurles was a race in name only. Antoher hack around in Ireland over Christmas is the smart move.

I doubt it Ardross. They are talking it step by step with the horse. The last race he won at Thurles was a race in name only. Antoher hack around in Ireland over Christmas is the smart move.

Will it be a hack though if Neptune Collonges turns up ?

Back