Betfair Chase

Had to go out straight after the race yesterday and only just got round to watching a replay. Fantastic performance by horse, jockey and trainer.

Very nice Blog, David. I'm never sure when a Blog is a site, or vice versa, but it's attractive to look at and, thank God, both literate and arktickulite. Most enjoyable summaries.

Thanks. I should delete the link really. Just don't have the time and motivation to do it regularly. Hence why nothing written since March!

That's the second time you've said that! :lol: Would you like to be my agent? ;)

No! The hardest part is selecting the type of book to write; I don't think there'd be any trouble with your knowledge or style.

I think developing the way horses are trained, races are framed & run etc, all as a then-versus-next-versus-now would be very interesting.

although all this 'evergreen', 'old', 'OAP' stuff is a bit grating - compared to some others, he's very few miles on the clock, so his body should be in darn good nick!

I don't often disagree with Krizon but I would question this. Kauto has been jump racing since the spring of his 3yo year, and has run not far short of 100 miles (his completed races total just over 90 miles, so add a few extra miles for the races where he fell/unseated/pulled up late in the race). I wouldn't call that "very few" miles especially when Denman, his contemporary, currently weighs in just short of 75 miles - in fact Kauto has won almost as many races as Denman has run in (22 v 24). To win a Grade One at 11, beating the Gold Cup winner, is a rare enough feat, but you could argue that the equivalent for a 'traditional' NH-bred, who probably wouldn't make its debut until around 5yo (as Denman did, for example), would be to do so at the age of 13. And that's without factoring in Kauto's recovery from a hock fracture, which could have ended a lesser horse's career or could easily have led to arthritis by now.

I would say that Kauto's ability to pull it out of the fire at the top level after nearly 8 years and 100 miles of racing adds to his lustre, and his longevity and soundness should be remarked upon - everything I've seen and read on the subject has done so in a tone of respect and admiration, if not downright wonder.

I'm not going to mud-wrestle with Cruella (appealing as that could be) - put in that statistical way, it's very much more impressive reading than just X amount of races. I'll retract what I said in the face of better evidence, in fact. I just really wanted him recognised for the vital and athletic horse he still is, rather than being described as an old codger!

But fair play to Cru - in fact, it opens up quite an interesting little thought as to which horses literally ran the longest (i.e. in terms of miles) and jumped the most fences in their lifetimes. It'd be fun to see the records of greats like Dessie, ONE MAN, DORAN'S PRIDE and all of the top race winners to see who really did have the resilience Kauto seems to possess.

I was disappointed with 2 comments after KS's princely run:
PN "this was his Gold Cup day"
RW: "we were hoping there was 1 more big run in him"
Here's hoping they don't mean what I hope they don't ... if you see what I mean!

We can wait til March ... I'd guess Mr Smith can, too, as he cares.

I don't see your point. That was his Gold Cup. There may be another, but they had him spot on for that and it meant a lot to them to have a good go at it. And Ruby was hoping there was another big one in him. Whats wrong with admitting the truth? When you have an ageing champion, every race should be seen as a Gold Cup and you hope to win one.

The point is I'd rather hoped he'd run in the GC.
Their comments rather made me think they didn't expect him to.
ok?

Their comments are appropriate for the horse's age. I'm sure they'd love to get to the GC too but that's another 4 months away.

agree with cantoris here. or maybe, just maybe, they secretly do consider going out on a high?

Last edited:
He has been a wonderful horse. I´m not saying that in the past tense or that he´s definitely finished, but he has probably finished in Gold Cups. He has been terrific, such a lovely, tough game horse. It was an extraordinary race and very emotional. We´ll think about the future for a while but he certainly loves racing and being in training - Clive Smith, owner;

this is what Clive said after his run at this years festival.

After what he did on Saturday I just don't see how they can think about retiring him. The horse clearly loves what he is doing and is still capable of putting up performances in the mid 170's. Most people would kill for a horse capable of performances in the 170's.

He doesn't owe anyone anything but they owe him the respect to let him keep doing what he clearly loves to do until he cries enough.

I think Long Run should be retired. He is clearly a shadow of the horse that gave us so much enjoyment over the years, and it is a shame to see him so far off his best.

He should be out in a field getting fat.

:lol: ...why?... do you need the company?

Just watched the race again. The horse I'm taking from that race is Diamond Harry he absolutely tanked thorugh the race travelled as well as anything if not the best horse in the race before he blew up for fitness. I also thought his jumping was slick. Wherever he turns up next he is going to be very very tough to beat

Just watched the race again. The horse I'm taking from that race is Diamond Harry he absolutely tanked thorugh the race travelled as well as anything if not the best horse in the race before he blew up for fitness. I also thought his jumping was slick. Wherever he turns up next he is going to be very very tough to beat

I thought he looked good up to a certain point also. Difficult to say if he blew up or was unable to sustain his effort under pressure due to the suspensory problems he has suffered

I think the plan next for Diamond Harry is the King George. I really don't see him reversing Saturday's run with LR.

Bruce: thanks for that! Adorable. There's no doubt the horse has a VGSOH and the affection between him and his trainer looks mutual. And did he just show the slightest bit of interest when PN said "King George"? I'm sure those ears perked for a moment!

Bruce: thanks for that! Adorable. There's no doubt the horse has a VGSOH and the affection between him and his trainer looks mutual. And did he just show the slightest bit of interest when PN said "King George"? I'm sure those ears perked for a moment!

I've watched it three times now, still don't know what the interview is about!

I could watch horses all day, fascinating and make me weak inside with just pure love for the animals.

I love it when he yawns! when Paul Nicholls says "15 Grade 1's", they can definatly understand what we're saying alright, he was yawning like it's easy work! as long as I can run I'll try my best for the public and owners.

Just look at how playful and more energetic excited he gets when the convosation turns into his future engagements!

Wonderful animals.

Last edited:
Back