BHA Fixture Cutbacks

stodge

At the Start
I'm surprised no one has commented on this thus far. We have known for some time that the Levy situation was bad and that the amount of money around was declining.

I'm also not surprised that 250 fixtures are set to be chopped and the loss of 72 twilight fixtures at Kempton seems set to put the financial future of the track into question and I just wonder if it might yet follow Great Leighs into oblivion if the cutbacks are as severe as suggested.

What has surprised me and disappointed me has been the general reaction. There seems a temptation for those at the "top" to blame those at the "bottom" and suggest the cuts hit the lowest level with Richard Hughes suggesting the bookies exclusively fund Class 6 races while those at the lower end of the spectrum want the cuts to hit the top races.

The only aspect of unanimity seems to me that somebody else needs to suffer.

Great Leighs need a viable buyer Stodge - something they seem totally incapable of getting at the moment since the last one went west.

Kempton should focus on their jumps fixtures - it's those that attract the large crowds, there aren't too many people who want to attend a Wednesday night meeting at Kempton in January where half the horses are being stopped and there's one man and his dog there anyway.

Interesting stuff in the Post today asking trainers, owners and jockeys about it whilst nobody seems all that bothered about what the people paying for the whole thing think of racing - the punters.

A case in point was when Eddie Freemantle pointed out on RUK that Captain John Nixon who won his fourth race on the bounce last night at Kempton, bringing his total prizemoney haul to 9k!

An absolute joke really but then the point wasn't made that the majority of the horses he's been beating probably never will win races so why continue with these races?

I can assure you that Bookies don't want low class racing. In our office, we like nothing more than a good Saturday, a Windsor evening meeting etc. It's like a graveyard when it's Chepstow, Perth and Brighton.

"I am a fan of the premierisation where the highest league has the best prize-money, the middle league the middle prize-money and the bottom league gets nothing.

If bookmakers want to run racing at all ends of the day every day, then it's up to them to pay for it. When we first started, we raced in point-to-points for a £50 first prize and it's amazing how popular points still are.

I don't think prize-money means everything to everybody. Racing would still be supported from a very low level of prize-money. but as far as the professionals are concerned, when we've got staff to pay and everything else, at least we should be given the option to race for decent money at weekends. If we are aiming to get a decent horse and look after it well, we should be able to aim for some decent prize money.

James is in France and it's unbelievable the amount of money they are racing for. Even at the provincial tracks the prize-money is way above what ours would be. He rode a double in the provinces the other weekend and both races were worth Eur6,500 to the winner and even the fifth horse got Eur1,000.

It's a crying shame we can't finance our sport the way they can. There doesn't seem to be any answer" - Keith Reveley

Reveley's thoughts on the subject - to put it in perspective I'm due to attend Sandown tomorrow, premier track, good listed race and prize money of around £65,000. I'm sure an equivalent meeting in France would be in excess of the £100,000 mark.

I can assure you that Bookies don't want low class racing. In our office, we like nothing more than a good Saturday, a Windsor evening meeting etc. It's like a graveyard when it's Chepstow, Perth and Brighton.
Same here - the only bookmakers who want low-grade racing are those who need it to fill their shops for 12 hours a day.

I do think there is a demand for the evening and twilight racing.

I'd be cutting more of the crap afternoon Summer and Winter meetings. The meeting at Yarmouth today for example, it's crap like this that needs cutting.

Well it might result in the mass of 6 and 7 runner races in UK increasing to 10 and 12. While Ireland has higher prizemoney it also has bigger fields. There are few enough races in Ireland that attract less than 10 runners, except the graded races. We had a spate after Crimbo when the ground was rotten but normally not the case.

Different Opinions...

Even among the few responses, we can see the diversity of opinion and the diversity of solution.

Bookmakers, Owners, Trainers, Racecourses - all seem to think someone else needs to suffer. This is the really big problem.

I argued with Jon on here a few weeks ago - who hasn't ? I opined that in effect you could split the fixture list into three categories:

1) The "good" meetings - what you could call the Premier fixtures. They get good crowds and are popular as betting opportunities with good prize money and plenty of runners. The fixtures that everybody likes.

2) The "Racecourse" meetings - meetings that are good for the courses (evenings, Sundays, BHs). The crowds come in, eat, drink and are merry. Yet the racing is poor, the prise money often poor and no one off-course bets on them.

3) The "Bookie" meetings - the meetings there for the betting shops. Often poorly attended and with moderate fare - they provide an option for the shops and a break from the virtual pap.

I would add to that:

4) The "Bread and Butter" meetings - the meetings that keep the racing industry ticking over. Meetings for trainers, jockeys, owners to scrape a living. These are usually midweek afternoons where attendance is moderate. They are often the shoulder meetings to "good" meetings eg: Thirsk and Ripon during Royal Ascot. Whether they generate much in terms of off-course turnover is debatable.

I think we should move to a more structured and smaller schedule eg: in the summer two afternoon and two evening fixtures Monday-Friday with three afternoon and two evening fixtures on Saturdays, three meetings on Sundays and four meetings on Bank Holidays.

In the spring and autumn, the emphasis is on turf fixtures with two or three meetings per day Monday to Friday and three to four on Saturdays and two on Sundays. There would be occasional AW fixtures.

In winter (Dec 1 - Mar 1), two meetings per day Monday to Friday (one NH, one AW) with three meetings Saturday (two NH and one AW) and three meetings Sunday (two NH and one AW).

No one will like it but I think it's more supportbale.

A case in point was when Eddie Freemantle pointed out on RUK that Captain John Nixon who won his fourth race on the bounce last night at Kempton, bringing his total prizemoney haul to 9k!

If Captain John Nixon had shown his true ability in maidens, he'd have been qualified to run in handicaps that are worth 9k to the winner! You can't get a horse handicapped off 46 and then moan about lack of prize money when climbing 2 stone in the weights.

Perhaps Kempton should switch some of their dire AW summer meetings back to the turf. The fact is despite the protestations of some that racegoers much prefer to watch turf racing rather than AW unless it is a Saturday night in the Black Country !

The Levy surely ought to include some share of the bookies profits on other forms of betting such as FOBTs as it is racing that largely lures punters into the shops and the exchanges when they take their commission should also take a levy from winning layers - if you are acting as a bookmaker you should be taxed like one.

It has been discussed, Stodge, since I put the issue up as a topic when it was first announced. I can't find it in the three pages comprising general racing topics, so I assume it's been culled. Can't think of anything more to add than was discussed at the time, though.

Comparisons with France aren't quite on a level playing field, since they have the Parimutuel for betting and no on-course bookmakers. You might as well compare the UK to selling races at any American track, where the prize money's likely to be 4x that here, with the show winning more than our first. You could probably then go on to compare us with Dubai, Japan, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Greyville... as far as prize money's concerned, we're about rock bottom. Trainers' main subject of complaint at the moment is the prize money, and the way that owners are not renewing ownership once their horse/s have retired. Jamie Poulton mentioned one owner who recently said to him, no, I won't be coming back. I've spent over £21,000 on the nag, who's won three races which have paid a total of less than £7,000 in prize money. What's the point? I can't run him to death trying to get more of a return for my outlay, that wouldn't be ethical. But it's absurd for racing to keep thinking it's acceptable that British owners just have to suffer the situation without end.

I discussed the issue with Brendan Duke and he involved Simon Holt - they couldn't agree on what would be the best way to put an end to the situation, though. I suggested a week's boycott of race meetings by the ROA, but Simon felt you'd always get the renegade, in the way you did with Christine Dunnett when trainers wanted to revolt against the low monies a few years back. Brendan thought just not having any racing at all for one day would show the bookies what having no racing for a week or a month would mean to their coffers. But why does it have to be down to having to take such drastic action?

Now for some guff from the ROA's 2009/10 Annual Report (you might want to grab a cuppa and a bikkie first):

What has happened so far is that a Horsemen's Group paper culminated in recommending the introduction of a tiered fixtures list, including an upper tier made up of the the premier product to which minimum prize money levels would be attached. It recommended altering the funding mechanism to incentivise racecourses to put more of their own money into prizes, and proposed the amount of funding for the Fixture Incentive Scheme to be greatly reduced. (The FIS is a Levy subsidy that encourages racecourses to put on fixtures in so-called unattractive slots to ensure there are sufficient fixtures at a time when the betting industry wants them.) So don't let's keep blaming racecourses for the 'poor' meetings you complain about. Racing's actually trying to tap that on the head, it would seem.

Outside the scope of the paper, but an important change in the way things will be done in the future is the Levy Board's resolve to alter the terms of the so-called Capital Fund, which makes loans available to racecourses. The changes mean racecourses will no longer be able to borrow money without paying interest, and will now be set a much sterner test to qualify for a loan. (Which might see some become housing estates, do you not think?)

The Levy Board executive has made significant progess in bringing changes to their funding structure, but it's not functioning in the way that allows British racing to maintain its current levels, let alone enhance them. The executive can't hold much sway over the current depressing decline in yield, this being more of a reflection of bookmakers' ingenuity in avoiding paying the full 10% of their gross profits to racing on their racing bets by, among other things, moving part of their operations overseas.

What the Levy's recognised is that increasing amounts of money flowing to racecourses in media rights income have to be reflected in changes in their funding mechanism. Partly because of this alternative income and because of the paucity of money generally, the Levy is going to demand more transparency of business accounts as the Board becomes more circumspect about the levels of funding it makes available to individual courses, and racecourse groups.

It's something of an irony for owners and the rest of the industry that at a time when a greater percentage of the overall Levy pot is being spent on prize money, the yield is dropping with the net result the prize money is decreasing.

It was against this difficult background that racing set about reinventing itself through Racing for Change, whose Project Director Rod Street recently wrote in TB Owner & Breeder mag, "There is no quick fix or miracle cure. Instead, we need to do hundreds of small things better for the benefit of both our current customers and the new ones that are so vital for the long-term health of our sport." No subject has commanded more attention in the industry than the need to enhance the narrative of major events, while there is increasing concern over how racing will fund a major end-of-season Champions' Day, especially as the industry's core funding is dropping alarmingly. But to quote Street again, "If Britain is to remain at the pinnacle of global Flat racing it needs an event that is the envy of other racing nations and not just a sideshow for Arc weekend and the Breeders' Cup."

-----------------------------------------------

Some stats just in: horses in training, monthly averages 2000-2009.

2000: Flat: 7,223 Jump: 4,322 Dual: 1,186 Total: 12,731
2005: Flat: 8,461 Jump: 4,197 Dual: 1,730 Total: 14,388
2008: Flat: 8,783 Jump: 4,077 Dual: 2,294 Total: 15,154
2009: Flat: 8,917 Jump: 4,677 Dual: 1,075 Total: 14,669

The average in the first four months of 2010 was 2.5% lower than in the first four months of 2009, so we'll see if the overall drop continues as the cutback in breeding bites into the 2 y.o. market.

More stats: the fact that prize money in Britain in 2009 was record £110.5m puts the current year's decline into sharp focus. The 2008-2009 increase of 4.2% was primarily due to the Levy Board contributing an additional £7.1m.

The racecourses' overall contributions were down £2.7m on 2008 while the owner's input was marginally above that of 2008. The 2008 figure had been deflated by the abandonment of York's Ebor meeting but, with last year's fixture taking place as usual, this boosted the overall 2009 figure against that of 2008 by £2.8m.

To date, the Levy Board's budgeted contribution to prize money for 2010 is down by £2.8m on the original budget of £57m. The resulting £54.2m represents 60% of the Levy's forecast annual revenue figure of £87.4m. Currently, both Levy income figures and prize money for 2010 continue to decline.

(Excerpts from the ROA Chief Executive, Michael Harris's, statement on racing finances in its Annual Report.)

If Captain John Nixon had shown his true ability in maidens, he'd have been qualified to run in handicaps that are worth 9k to the winner! You can't get a horse handicapped off 46 and then moan about lack of prize money when climbing 2 stone in the weights.

A fair point but then I don't see anyone doing anything about the questionable way in which he received his handicap mark.

The Levy surely ought to include some share of the bookies profits on other forms of betting such as FOBTs as it is racing that largely lures punters into the shops and the exchanges when they take their commission should also take a levy from winning layers - if you are acting as a bookmaker you should be taxed like one.

Agree entirely on the second point. I couldn't do and stand outside Threshers selling bootled alcohol at a cut price.

Don't agree they should be charged levy on FOBT's though, they pay enough duty on them and racing should be getting people off the FOBT's and betting on racing. The sad thing is though that you know Number 8 on Roulette on a FOBT isn't going to be non trying out the back.

Funny coincidence - I was just looking over some e-mails and I've just got one from the Horsemen's Group, cracking on about prize money and the Levy. Anyone wants to see it, I can e-mail it, but I don't know how to Copy & Paste the wee beggar. Everyone's talking about the darn issue, but there's virtually no resolution at present. And the stats don't support a monster rise in horses in the past 10 years, either, in spite of the good times rolling prior to May 07.

[FONT=Georgia,Times New Roman,Times,serif][FONT=Georgia,Times New Roman,Times,serif]Horsemen's Group clarifies its position on dealing with the funding crisis injury

[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]

News that the BHA is poised to reduce the 2011 fixture list by up to 250 fixtures as a result of declining Levy has prompted the Horsemen's Group to clarify its position on the funding crisis.

"Nobody should doubt the Horsemen's Group is in full support of racing's campaign to maximise levy income," said the group's Chief Executive, Alan Morcombe.

"This includes endorsement of racing's submission for the 50th Levy Board Scheme and supporting changes to the various areas that are currently causing the Levy to decline so disastrously, such as thresholds, bookmakers going offshore and the absence of Levy being charged on overseas racing in British betting shops. We also believe that racing's campaign should include a long, hard look at a return to the Levy being based on turnover. The rapid growth of betting exchanges has made the current gross profits system unworkable for racing.

"That said, it is important to stress the Horsemen's Group will not allow the Levy campaign to deflect it from continuing commercial negotiations with the racecourses. We are determined that racecourses make a fair and adequate contribution to prize-money based on their total income, including their media rights revenues. We intend to pursue these negotiations relentlessly, privately and individually with racecourses. We hope there will be no need for additional action to highlight our case but, if action is ultimately required, we will decide what to do after due consideration.

"The Horsemen's Group represents the most powerful constituent in racing and we intend to make it abundantly clear to all owners, trainers, breeders, jockeys and stable staff what our expectations are in terms of minimum prize-money throughout the various grades of race for each racecourse. It is part of our remit to identify which racecourses are supportive of the Horsemen aims and which of them are not. We are keen to ensure that those racecourses which work with us see the benefits of doing so and the current narrow funding structure makes this differentiation impossible."

[/FONT]

Oh, what a star-u-r, Dessie - many thanks for doing that. Might as well try to advance any discussion bearing in mind what the various establishment bodies are doing (or not).

It has been discussed, Stodge, since I put the issue up as a topic when it was first announced. I can't find it in the three pages comprising general racing topics, so I assume it's been culled.

Krizon, I posted a link to it further up on this page.

Last edited:
The number of meetings should have been reduced by 1000, not 500, to keep in step with the 30% reduction in prize money allocation next year. That would still mean more meetings being scheduled than was the case 25 years ago.

On the question of FOBTs, I'm not clear what possible justification there could be for cross-subsidisation. It's a complete non-starter anyway.

I liked Paul Dixon's suggestion that bookmakers pay levy on turnover rather than profits! :lol::lol::lol:

Good luck Paul, there would literally be no telephone or internet bookmakers left in the UK if this happened.

Yes, I saw that, Grey - thanks. I was typing my endless quotes while you were putting that up - I hadn't seen it beforehand, or would obviously not have said I couldn't find it. Well done for the sleuthing.

Dixon would be better off trying to get Betfair to pay levy on the same terms as the bookmakers than try and levy bookmakers on turnover.

Back