Bit of help needed

links781

Journeyman
I've never been to Cheltenham but have just received an email from one of the betting sites and I vaguely remember entering a competition with them a couple months ago.I have won 2 members badges for Champion Chase day next wednesday.If I go i'll be taking my dad who is getting on a bit,just wanted to know really would it be like a cattle mart! Sorry for coming across as a bit dim but never been on Festival week.

Well done! If it's in Members and your dad loves racing I'd say go for it. There is nowhere on course to hide during the Festival, but at least in Members you can get a bit of space around you in front of the stands and stay out of the real press.

It'll be something you'll both remember and when all is said and done, with no disrespect to any of us, you're a long time dead.

To be honest it doesn't say what enclosure.It just says you have won 2 members badges for next wednesday,its from sportingbet (think they sponsoring the Queen Mother).looks like we will go,was wondering if there is a dress code in operation there.Suppose I will get more details when the pack arrives. Thanks for the quick response anyhow.

If it says members badges then you're in the Members Enclosure which will suit you best. Clothes wise - smart/casual I'd guess with comfortable shoes! Its not as squashed as it used to be when it was just the 3 days but do get there early so you can get something to eat/drink.

This link may be of some help:
http://www.cheltenham.co.uk/racing/the_racecourse/course_faqs.html

Have a great time, Links and savour every moment!

I've never been to Cheltenham but have just received an email from one of the betting sites and I vaguely remember entering a competition with them a couple months ago.I have won 2 members badges for Champion Chase day next wednesday.If I go i'll be taking my dad who is getting on a bit,just wanted to know really would it be like a cattle mart! Sorry for coming across as a bit dim but never been on Festival week.

Well done on winning. Am going for my first time as well, enjoy:cool:

bit of twist in the tale,I rung my dad earlier to tell him we going to Chelters on Wednesday to which I got the response "I've said i'll be going down the local with mal (his mate) to watch it now sorry,I prefer the tv anyway!" ha,ungrateful swine.So i'm taking my mate instead now,probably better off all round!

Well done, Links - it's about time someone on here won something! One thing's for sure, this lot couldn't punt ten yards on the Thames! Have a good time with your pal.

bit of twist in the tale,I rung my dad earlier to tell him we going to Chelters on Wednesday to which I got the response "I've said i'll be going down the local with mal (his mate) to watch it now sorry,I prefer the tv anyway!" ha,ungrateful swine.So i'm taking my mate instead now,probably better off all round!

What a sod!... I was getting a bit tearful here about your day out together.

Thanks for your sentiments Steve!
For those who have been previously I was just wondering how easy it is to get on there being it's so busy?I'll have my phone with me if it gets desperate but theres nothing like parting with the cash is there!

It's not actually that bad now Tues-Thurs & the only day to worry about getting crushed is Gold Cup day

No problems getting a bet on in the Tatts or on the rails (especially at the lower end), though the Centaur will get very busy if pouring with rain

Well done again on winning

Well, seeing the form on free tickets, I'll wish you a steaming good outcome, Links - boy, if you win that big, we'll all expect free tickets from you next year! So, not just a 'well done', but an extra big, jumbo-sized 'good luck', too!

Well done, Links. Enjoy your day.

Racing starts at 1.30 this year (used to be 2.15) so ideally you would be looking to be there at about 11.30 / 12.00 to find your way around, get a drink/eat and sort out your bets.

How long before eye-watering desperation sets in should Links plan to visit the loo? Last year, there were moans galore about lengthy queues, and we don't want one of our finest getting booted out for being a public disgrace, do we?

How long before eye-watering desperation sets in should Links plan to visit the loo? Last year, there were moans galore about lengthy queues, and we don't want one of our finest getting booted out for being a public disgrace, do we?

Ha,I can normally withstand about 6 pints before breaking the seal Kri but after that its normally after every one!!:whistle:

and thanks to everyone for their congratulations.

Last edited:
SIX PINTS??? That's half a brewery, lad! I suppose that's what comes of me living in flats for 'the retired' (aka Jurassic Park) - I see mostly ancients who have to start tottering off pretty early after every cup of tea, let alone pints, in order not to miss the seat!

Back