Books To Recommend ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ardross
  • Start date Start date
A

Ardross

I know we have these periodically but anyone have any books to recommend . I shall be reading " The Sailor in the Wardrobe " by Hugo Hamilton - the second book of tales from his youth in 1960s Ireland with an Irish father and German mother . It has been serialised on the radio this week and sounds up to the qaulity of his first book of memoirs " The Speckled People " - which I think I remember BTB was also impressed by

A Child Called It
The Lost Boy
A Man Named David

A CHILD CALLED 'IT': Dave Pelzer's story is of a child beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played tortuous, unpredictable games that left one of her three sons nearly dead. No longer considered a son, or a boy, but an 'it', Dave had to learn how to play these games in order to survive. His bed was an old army cot in the basement and when he was allowed food it was scraps from the dogs' bowl. Throughout, Dave kept alive the dream of finding a family who would love and care for him. This is an inspirational look at the horrors of child abuse and the steadfast determination of one child to survive despite the odds. THE LOST BOY: The harrowing but ultimately uplifting true story of Dave's journey through the foster-care system in search of a family who will love him. A MAN NAMED DAVE: The gripping conclusion to this inspirational trilogy. With extraordinary generosity of spirit, Dave takes us on a journey into his past. At last he confronts his father and ultimately his mother. Finally, Dave finds the courage to break the chains of the past and learn to love, trust and live for the future.

Its not for the faint-hearted.

I have just finished The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Probably his finest work.

For people who prefer something a little easier, I am now reading Death in the Andes by Mario Vargas Llosa. I am only 120 pages in, but thus far it is a gripping story.

Just to lower the tone, have finished reading Jilly Coopers Polo for the 942nd time recently :lol:

Originally posted by Bar the Bull@Feb 24 2006, 08:27 AM
I have just finished The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Probably his finest work.

I started this but only have part one so ran out of enthusiasm. I must say I really enjoyed One Day in The Life of Ivan Denosovich which was why I decided to embark on another - I may return to it :rolleyes:

I too read all of Jilly Coopers books although Riders annoyed me somewhat as it should have centered around the Eventing set not showjumping - wrong class. However, I am easily suceptible to reading trashy fluff and tend to buy at least 2 books a week from charity shops to quench my reading thirst - I will read anything.

The only weak part of the book is the bit about the young boys; Kolya and Ilyusha I think they were called. Although an interesting enough story, it doesn't sit well with the main storyline.

I have yet to read One Day in the Life, so I'll put it on my list.

I always say this when we have a thread on books:

Do not read American Psycho. Never has a book angered me so much.

I took the Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas to France last year and read all 900 pages in a week - gripping story brilliantly told.

Was it you BTB that had also read the Speckled People ?

Little known fact:

Most Pros ti tutes are named POLO!

Why?

Because they make a mint with their H........

Originally posted by The Pro@Feb 24 2006, 09:18 AM
A Child Called It
The Lost Boy
A Man Named David

Its not for the faint-hearted.
I read those quite a while ago, very harrowing :(

I haven't read a fiction book for a long time due to me spending a rather lot of money buying old gardening books on ebay last autumn :ph34r: not that the books were expensive it was the amount that I bought :lol: but one thing is for sure, you can keep your Monty Dons & all the other "Newbies" they aren't a patch on any of Geoff Hamiltons books, just finished reading Cottage Gardens & A Year in Your Garden & about to start The Ornamental Kitchen Garden, Geoff you are sadly missed :(

Aldaniti, if you want any more gardening books let me know. I got rid of loads of them last year but still have a few left. Not old ones, but a real mixture. I'll send you over the titles if you want so you can see if any of them are interest to you. I would be glad they go to a good home as I think my local charity shops are still trying to shift the last 5 boxes I took down to them.

jinnyj - One Day In etc etc was by Solzhenitsyn so maybe that's why Karamazov didn't grip you. Try Solzhenitsyn's The First Circle or For The Good Of The Cause.

I have got I Claudius/Claudius The God in the pile to read after the recommendations from here, I'm looking forward to it.

I have just finished Labyrinth by Kate Mosse and it was superb - anyone who enjoyed The Da Vinci Code would like it as it is far better than TDVC.

Originally posted by Aldaniti@Feb 24 2006, 11:57 AM
Many Thanks Kathy that would be lovely I'll PM you my email addy
Book titles (or some of them) on their way to you Aldiniti!

Now I've told you before about Catch 22, one of the greatest novels of the 20th century. I'm still trying to get it translated into Brummish for you.

Agree with Euronymous about James Ellroy and would add John Le Carré to the list.

Originally posted by archie@Feb 24 2006, 01:10 PM
jinnyj - One Day In etc etc was by Solzhenitsyn so maybe that's why Karamazov didn't grip you. Try Solzhenitsyn's The First Circle or For The Good Of The Cause.
Bit of a blonde moment there! :shy: Shall look out for those in my local charity shops then!

Back