Books To Recommend ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ardross
  • Start date Start date
:lol: Brian, you can get it translated into Sanscrit if you like, I will still find it dull!!

Originally posted by Griffin@Feb 24 2006, 10:05 AM
Just to lower the tone, have finished reading Jilly Coopers Polo for the 942nd time recently :lol:
I see she's got a new book, Wicked, out in May. I quite like Jilly Cooper, although I'm not as keen on her older books with the girls names such as Emily, Imogen etc. She does seem to be slow at turning them out though, it must be three or four years since her last one.

Wicked

Riders, Rivals, Polo et al were great!!!! :lol: I had read Riders, Rivals & Polo by the age of 13 & loved them all! I'd also gone through thte entire Flowers In The Attic series by te age of 12.......:shy: :lol:

Think I read somewhere that Rupert's kids make an appearance. No more Rannaldini though after the sticky end he came too!!

Anyone who likes fun action books should try Ice Station by Matthew Reilly, or either of the follow ups, Area 7 and Scarecrow.
Also I have just finished the Dark Tower by Steven King, the seventh and final part of his series and it was superb

Sorry for the low-brow options but ive never picked up a book by most of the authors mentioned on here

Don't worry Mike, I'm reading a serial killer jobby by an American author who actually uses the phrase "off of" in her writing!!!! :confused: :angy: It's a good book though, Last Witness by Jilliane Hoffman, but you have to read the preceeding Retribution first.

Originally posted by Triptych+Feb 24 2006, 09:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Triptych @ Feb 24 2006, 09:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Griffin@Feb 24 2006, 10:05 AM
Just to lower the tone, have finished reading Jilly Coopers Polo for the 942nd time recently :lol:
I see she's got a new book, Wicked, out in May. I quite like Jilly Cooper, although I'm not as keen on her older books with the girls names such as Emily, Imogen etc. She does seem to be slow at turning them out though, it must be three or four years since her last one.

Wicked [/b][/quote]
I've already pre-ordered it :lol:

Is it actually possible to pre-order something? Don't you just place an order for an item, and if it's in stock, it's sent, and if it's not, you get it when it is? That's what I've found, from vast experience of catalogue-shopping for decades. I've never tried to order an order before I've placed it. Something new all the time! :confused:

Originally posted by krizon@Feb 26 2006, 11:24 PM
Is it actually possible to pre-order something? Don't you just place an order for an item, and if it's in stock, it's sent, and if it's not, you get it when it is? That's what I've found, from vast experience of catalogue-shopping for decades. I've never tried to order an order before I've placed it. Something new all the time! :confused:
It isn't released until May, but I've paid for it and will wait impatiently for it to be delivered some time during that month.

You can pre-order books before they're published quite easily, Kri, particularly with the help of Amazon. They have most books available to order before they are published.

This reminds me of the tactics some of the utility companies use, when they take advantage of the old-fashioned type of attitude of paying a bill as soon as it hits the doormat.

So they send out their annual bills about 10 weeks before they are due to be paid. The customer pays them immediately and the utility company says thank you very much for the extra interest.

Not at all, Colin - they don't charge you until the book is despatched. Well, Amazon don't and neither do Play. This applies to CDs and DVDs too.

Griffin may have done, but my posts specifically mention Amazon (and latterly Play.com) who do not charge until they despatch the order.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Feb 27 2006, 10:59 AM
Not at all, Colin - they don't charge you until the book is despatched. Well, Amazon don't and neither do Play. This applies to CDs and DVDs too.
It is from Amazon and I'm terrible at checking bank statements so you're right, I probably haven't paid for it yet :shy:

I've read a few of Tess Gerritsen's books lately and she's pretty good if you like crime novels.

I'm also over halfway through I, Claudius and thank you Brian and AC for the recommendation, you're right, it is very, very good.

Back