Books To Recommend ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ardross
  • Start date Start date
A Life In Secrets by Sarah Helm - the biography of Vera Atkins, PA to Maurice Buckmaster of SOE during WWII. She went with the British authorities to the Nuremburg trials and spent a lot of her time there trying to trace the agents who went missing, particularly the women.

A very interesting woman who was reluctant to yield any information about herself to the author. The background of her biography gives some fascinating information about the French Underground movement and the British agents involved in it. It was quite shocking to read how much more sophisticated the German organisations were compared to the British. Our agents were quite amateurish by comparison.

Ms Atkins spent years travelling abroad after the war, spending her time and money on interviewing people who may have seen "her girls" and tracking down documentary evidence of their demises. Harrowing reading, in some cases.

Very interesting book for those who are interested in the period, moving and sometimes a bit distressing.

I started reading this on the train today and am already hooked.

Redhead, very interesting family history there! I've read reviews of the play 'War Horse' and the huge puppets used look amazing. I haven't read the book or seen the play, but now you remind me of it, I will find the book. After blubbing through most of Jilly Cooper's homage to the lost animals, I've been a bit reluctant to smear more pages with salty tears, but I'll have a go!

Thinking about dogs - this is something not at all related, but I found rather funny. A friend of mine, who mangles words quite frequently, told me today that she'd asked a racehorse owner she knows whether he put all his winnings into an account in the Canine Islands!

A friend of mine, who mangles words quite frequently, told me today that she'd asked a racehorse owner she knows whether he put all his winnings into an account in the Canine Islands!

Maybe she was thinking of the Isle of Dogs? Lots of banks there :p

Thank you very much for that link, mrussell. There's a lot of reading there, and I'll save it to Favourites so that I can read about all of those brave girls at leisure. It says that Noor's family belonged to the gentle, meditative Sufi sect (not 'Sufti' as misspelled), which is the sect of Islam from which the whirling dervishes come, and which is headed up by the Aga Khan (as it says, 'khan' meaning in this case, a ruler).

Nella last's war & Nella Last's peace

Enjoyed reading both books

For those that are not familiar the book was made into a tv drama
called Housewife 49 starring Victoria Wood

David Nicholls' One Day is superb; read it in just over twenty four hours even with work getting in the way and concluding with a 3am-6.30am stint. A colleague recommended it to me on several occasions and I can see why he was so insistent I read it!

Robert Vaughn - A Fortunate Life; not the greatest of books but a very interesting read and some fascinating stories of some of the stars he has worked with over the years, particularly McQueen and his ego.

:lol::lol:

Not sure are you on the pisstake?

His comments about Brown hilarious.

His comments about Bush are worrying.

Last edited:
How did you manage that?!

Looks interesting as these things go.

Btw, picked up a copy in French today and he had a whole separate intro praising everything about the French etc ... Ugh.

What are your thoughts on him?

What are your thoughts on him?

Awesome politician. I think he was a great prime minister and will be remembered more fondly in future when the current turds of the media are long gone. I would point out that I didn't care either way about the war in Iraq so that doesn't affect my judgement.

I agree. I am and was quite a fan of blair. He led well, gained respect of peers around the world and domestically and led the party to three impressive wins.

The book to read (which I am at the moment) is andrew rawnsleys end of the party. Its ahrd to put down and gives a superb and fair account of the build up to the wars. And shows brown to be bonkers too

Very well resourced too, with plenty of fascinating attributed quotes

"Awesome"? Yes, I suppose that's right - many are in awe of his stunning ability to turn even tragic situations to his advantage (Diana's death being one of his most outstanding gigs), to overlook the best advice from people who actually knew what they were doing, and to come out of the Iraq debacle and turning Britain into the world's most overseen and over-regulated country turning tricks for a quarter million a pop. I'm sure his book is selling well because it'll be written in the same poptastic manner he adopted throughout his time on deck. Awesome indeed. Also self-serving, arrogant, and stubbornly self-willed in the face of informed and accurate advice, too.

I I think you may find that countries such as ,north korea and your favourite saudi arabia are somewhat more overregulated than the uk 'rizon

I've never understood the problem some have with others making money. There's nothing illegal about his speaking engagements, so what's the problem?

Last edited:
Just finished reading Mark Halperin's Race of a Lifetime about the 2008 American election. The type of book that you really can't put down; really details the gritty behind the scenes stuff (some of the stuff on Palin is really interesting in particular). Almost more about the campaign operations than the candidates themselves.

I found it a brilliant read - but then I am an unashamed American political junkie!

Read it last year trackside. Fabulous read. John edwards came out as a monster and even obama seemed a bit too cool and calculating. Clinton pieces were remarkable but the genuine respect between hilary and obama was eye catching. Palin is ridiculous of course but perhaps that was expected.

Much the same as you. Their politics are fascinating

There were good ipointers in the book as to why hilary has now blossomed so impressively. She's a seriously talented lady

A great read

On another note. Just finished william trevors latest novel he is a genuinely great writer sparse and moving

You won't regret. Also suprised at how much mccain and obama hated each other. Suprising as they both come across as sharp hunourous decent guys

Just finished reading Civil War- The Wars of the Three Kingdoms 1638-1660 by Trevor Royle. Very well written telling of the troubled times in the thre realms, a great deal of information ( much new to me) presented in a compelling style. One of those books that I didn't want to put down but a 823 pages a mighty tome. Unlike some works covering periods of conflict it seemed pretty even handed to me and certainly does not preach. It does pretty well in giving a sense of the feeling of ordinary people impacted by the actions of numerous armies, friend and foe, charging up and down through these islands.
Clearly a period the events of which have had repercussions through to the present day some good some bad. It seems that many of the lessons that should have been learned from then haven't and similar mstakes are being made today. Moral certainty can be as corruptive and dangerous as self interest whilst religious intolerance especially if it is based on irrelevancies such as images and symbols is simply lucidrous.
I was taught very little about the period whilst at school and gained a simplistic impression of dashing Cavaliers ( that Prince Rupert was definitely a hero)and their brave supporters fighting against hard hearted militaristic killjoy Puritans( a perjorative word). This book has added greatly to the understanding of the period that I have garnered over the years yet I fear that it would take far longer than I am prepared to allocate to gain a comprehensive knowledge. I was asked by one of my sons as to which of the several sides I would have been prepared to fight for. Not an easy question but my answer was that I would probably been one of the 'agitators' weeded out in the first cleansing of the New Model Army. A good read and provocative!

Earlier in this thread there was some discussion as to the merits of various English monarchs. Henry V is my man. Fair, decent,honourable, a strong leader by example and very astute. A great pity that his immediate succesors lacked most ,if not all his qualities. I am a coward of the first order but would have certainly followed this fellow to France. Have recently read most of "Agincourt" by Juliet Barker and read the whole of "Conquest" by the same author, a follow-up which covers the remaining period of the English Kingdom of France. The first book particularly I found enthralling, more gripping than many epic fictional works, though Barker provides a great deal of fact and detail as she has written on a topic that she clearly finds fascinating. Of course the battles are there but she also covers the byzantine political machinations and the impressive preparation and planning.
By the way Henry knew all about surge tactics, introducing regional control by the defeated and 'shock and awe'. Blair and the Yanks should have genned up. Few nowdays will be aware of how much of France was actually ruled by the English, I certainly wasn't. It seems we were only a short step away from becoming "legitimate" rulers and of ruling in a far more benevolent way than we acted towards the other countries of our islands. It is possible to visualise England being to France as Hanover is to England. Despite my ramblings it is worth reading "Agincourt" and if you like it the follow-up.

Back