Books To Recommend ?

I can relieve Cromwell of the charge of hypocrisy Redhead - I think the 'bowels of Christ' line was to the General Assembly of Scotland. He was relentless over the regicide.

Neat story that around the time of the regicide, a messenger arrived with documents of some kind relating to the army; Cromwell enquired whether he would like to go down and see the king's execution at Whitehall, to wile away the time as it were. It
may not be true (it sounds too pat to me) but it's probably closer to his actual attitude. The Army blamed Charles I for the civil war (Charles Stuart that 'man of blood') and thought if he lived it would never be settled.

It'a fascinating period of history - first time that arguments for universal male suffrage were made (including women was considered going a bit too far); the first and only time England was a republic; these are incredibly influential ideas that played a big part in the thinking behind the French Revolution.

But fairly low profile still in terms of popular history - the BBC does not want to make 'The Stuarts' for some reason!

On a less high brow note - I have enjoyed the following recently:

Richard Laymon - Friday Night In The Beast House - short story - 4th in the series - has the feel of something which could have been expanded easily enough but is all the better for not having been. Gloriously gory.

My light relief was Paw Tracks in the Moonlight by Denis O'Connor. One for the cat lovers of the forum. Very moving and very loving.

Have your Kleenex ready - I cried twice, at the beginning and at the end.

Have your Kleenex ready -

Reminds me of the Chubby Brown story

"went to see schindlers list. They said you would need a box of Kleenex. Dunno why. There was nothing to **** about"

World War Z.
Soon to be released as a film but I doubt that any film will be as good as the book. Superbly and cleverly written I found it hard to put down and for a book about a world war against zombies it is highly credible. Original in format and basic premise it is both entertaining and stimulating. No hesitation on my part to say read it if you get the chance. Definitely don't let yourself be put off by prejudice against zombie stories. It isn't what you might expect.

The Son by Philipp Meyer.
I can't recall the last time I read what is essentially a western. Very well written, seemingly knowledgeable, "epic" of a family in Texas. Written as though from different family members over the generations it is a dark but credible tale that certainly paints a different picture to that one would gain from watching films over the years. Certainly thought provoking. I initially thought it might be a hard read but became absorbed. A book I did not want to end.

The author also wrote the acclaimed American Rust which I will try and buy tomorrow.

World War Z.
Soon to be released as a film but I doubt that any film will be as good as the book. Superbly and cleverly written I found it hard to put down and for a book about a world war against zombies it is highly credible. Original in format and basic premise it is both entertaining and stimulating. No hesitation on my part to say read it if you get the chance. Definitely don't let yourself be put off by prejudice against zombie stories. It isn't what you might expect.

Even if you've seen the film: the book is nothing like it.

Quite simply a masterpiece: best book Ive ever read or will read

Last edited:
One Day by David Nicholls. Not seen the film, but read the book when it first came out. I'm not one for romance novels and I wouldn't call it a "love story" (as it has been described). Just more as intriguing and found it a good read.

Michael Crichton Jurassic Park I found a good read. A load of research obviously went into it and admit to having re-read it a few times!

Between Silk and Cyanide by Leo Marks. He was the head of Codes for SOE during WWII and fought for years for a more secure code key for agents. The title of the book is the message he sent to the Government to justify a particular factory's increased manufacture of silk as opposed to other materials deemed more suitable for the war effort, and he was competing against several other equally urgent pleas for production space. Winston got the message and sanctioned his plea without any quibbles, so the silk was produced and printed with hundreds of different key codes that the wireless operators could more easily conceal in their clothing, and cut each key off as it was used, giving their message greater security against enemy codebreakers.

It may sound heavy, but it is quite humourous and very interesting as he was the last "stage" in training agents who were about to be sent out. He gives accounts of his meetings with the "Grouse" team who were the spearhead of Operation Gunnerside - the destruction of the heavy water plant in Norway ("The Heroes of Telemark") and also of many of the more famous agents who were sent into France, Holland and Belgium.

From his arrival he was adamant that the Dutch network had been infiltrated and was being operated by the Germans but no one would listen to him. His suspicions were eventually confirmed by the Germans themselves.

For anyone interested in SOE and WWII, this is an interesting background read. Also, for anyone who has either read the book or seen the film Carve Her Name With Pride, about Violette Szabo, Marks had written the lovely, haunting poem that he gave to her as her key code for his fiance who had been killed in an air crash:

The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours

The love that I have
Of the life that I have
Is yours and yours and yours.

A sleep I shall have
A rest I shall have
Yet death will be but a pause
For the peace of my years
In the long green grass
Will be yours and yours and yours.

A really good read.

Last edited:
Between Silk and Cyanide by Leo Marks. He was the head of Codes for SOE during WWII and fought for years for a more secure code key for agents. The title of the book is the message he sent to the Government to justify a particular factory's increased manufacture of silk as opposed to other materials deemed more suitable for the war effort, and he was competing against several other equally urgent pleas for production space. Winston got the message and sanctioned his plea without any quibbles, so the silk was produced and printed with hundreds of different key codes that the wireless operators could more easily conceal in their clothing, and cut each key off as it was used, giving their message greater security against enemy codebreakers.

It may sound heavy, but it is quite humourous and very interesting as he was the last "stage" in training agents who were about to be sent out. He gives accounts of his meetings with the "Grouse" team who were the spearhead of Operation Gunnerside - the destruction of the heavy water plant in Norway ("The Heroes of Telemark") and also of many of the more famous agents who were sent into France, Holland and Belgium.

From his arrival he was adamant that the Dutch network had been infiltrated and was being operated by the Germans but no one would listen to him. His suspicions were eventually confirmed by the Germans themselves.

For anyone interested in SOE and WWII, this is an interesting background read. Also, for anyone who has either read the book or seen the film Carve Her Name With Pride, about Violette Szabo, Marks had written the lovely, haunting poem that he gave to her as her key code for his fiance who had been killed in an air crash:

The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours

The love that I have
Of the life that I have
Is yours and yours and yours.

A sleep I shall have
A rest I shall have
Yet death will be but a pause
For the peace of my years
In the long green grass
Will be yours and yours and yours.

A really good read.

Thanks for this. This sounds as if it would go along with A Life In Secrets by Sarah Helm. A haunting book about some of the women who were agents behind the lines dring WW2 and one woman search to try and find out what happened to them. Strong belief by some that the network had been infiltrated but lack of action fueled by disbelief by some of the British in charge. Desperate end for some of the brave brave women and men, when it shouldn't have been.

On a lighter note, The Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty. Perhaps a women's novel but one many may relate to. Recommended by Ian Rankin on a Radio 2 show, I would never have found it otherwise. Loved it.

Reading Paul Nicholls book. The racing bits are fine and he is an incredibly driven man. Don't care much though about hearing off him and Mick Fitz having their way with two blondes in his jacuzzi.

Reading Paul Nicholls book. The racing bits are fine and he is an incredibly driven man. Don't care much though about hearing off him and Mick Fitz having their way with two blondes in his jacuzzi.

Thanks granger - that's not the mental image I need right before bedtime....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this. This sounds as if it would go along with A Life In Secrets by Sarah Helm. A haunting book about some of the women who were agents behind the lines dring WW2 and one woman search to try and find out what happened to them. Strong belief by some that the network had been infiltrated but lack of action fueled by disbelief by some of the British in charge. Desperate end for some of the brave brave women and men, when it shouldn't have been.

It ties in very nicely with it G-G. Marks mentions Vera Atkins several times and feels that she actually ran the French section through Buckmaster at times. He is not exactly disparaging about Buckmaster though he does highlight some of his rather odder ideas.

Yeuch yeuch yeuch yeuch. Why did he feel the need to include that?

It was a better than usua in this genrel read but Jesus I thought that too. You really didn't want to think of them giving a twos up

Last edited:
Max Hastings. Finest years
Wonderful Churchill bio. I avoid history which is too military based but this strikes the balance well. Exceptionally well written

Making it happen on Fred Goodwin is a must read for anyone interested in finance

Fancy the Roy Jenkins bio by the excellent john Campbell

Rarely read novels but Canada by the great Richard Ford is waiting here

Back