Bread

harry

At the Start
Bit random I know but the daily mail :ninja: today said virtually all "fresh" bread in all the big supermonsters has actually been frozen for a year and wondered if anyone of you have a bread machine for making your own? All reviews I have read seem really positive.

Yes but don't use it alot, far too tempting to eat the lot. Put mine on a timer, starts overnight fresh bread by breakfast.

I use mine at least once if not twice a week - it is so easy its ridiculous. Mine is a Goodmans and its fine - make sure you follow the recipe carefully in the right order and you can't really go wrong. Well worth getting one. (I've even won the machine made bread class at our local show!). I use the Turbo setting and the bread is ready in just over 2 hours. I've also made Naan bread, cakes, jam etc.

Last edited:
Once you've got the hang of it (and that won't take any time at all), most of the machines have an overnight setting, which is great for busy young parents!! Set it around 10/11pm and bread will be ready early morning. Reason I like my Panasonic is that it has a small container for seeds/nuts/dried frui that you fill in advance and then additions are tipped in after proving but before baking automatically, so you get really good flavoured breads as well. Sure other makes have feature as well but worth while mentioning it!

As Jinnyj says, important factor is to put items in machine in correct order for that make, as per their recipe book.

Then you might find you really like breadmaking and will want to start making 'proper' breads such as sour doughs etc. using wild yeasts! Not at all difficult to do - making the start is 'free' but you do need to be methodical. Once you've made the starter, you keep it going indefinitely. Sour dough breads keep well but take a long time to prove.

England is a good place for many things but the vast majority of the population do not understand bread, the concept of fresh bread, what good bread should taste like and place no value on it. :(

Supermarket bread is awful. Even Waitrose dont get it right. Would make an exception for M&S but fresh bread from bakers cant be beaten. Lucky where i am where theres indpendent bakers still (and Greggs bread is fine too). But what cant be beaten is Gails bread. they supply through waitrose now and have own branches across posher bits of London.. Its expensive but superb...

Supermarket bread is awful. Even Waitrose dont get it right. Would make an exception for M&S but fresh bread from bakers cant be beaten. Lucky where i am where theres indpendent bakers still (and Greggs bread is fine too). But what cant be beaten is Gails bread. they supply through waitrose now and have own branches across posher bits of London.. Its expensive but superb...

Bought a Waitrose fresh bloomer on Sat on a rare visit. Tasted three days old straight away, but did make great toast this morning

Most stores own bread is soggy rubbish, step forward Asda for outstandingly bad award; one exception is Sainsbury's, at least the store near me: their's is really terrific and lasts ages

Can you freeze bread machine made bread and if you don't how long does it last once cooked before it goes off?

Yes, you can freeze just about any bread pretty successfully.

Granger - same ingredients as making bread without one, pretty much!

Strong bread flour (white, wholewheat or combo of both), fast acting dried yeast (usually says on packet suitable for bread making machines), a little sugar, salt and water, sometimes you can add olive oil and usually they list dried milk powder as well.

Then you can add pretty much anything else you like as flavourings - seeds, cheese, olives, sun dried tomatoes, raisins - just as you like!

Although they list dried milk powder on most machine recipes, I leave it out as the bread can end up a bit cakey in texture.

Go on Harry - go out and buy one - I know you're just itching to get started!

No couldn't wait just got one from curries £69.99 Panasonic 256
will update if lush or a disaster:blink:

I don't like bread made from bread makers - it just doesn't taste right nor have the right texture, IMO. Haven't had some in a while mind, as I don't like it. A bread maker is one fo those things you'll use a few times then get bored of - unless you've all day to waste and nothing else to do.

I like Sainsbury's bread and the local Co-op sells a nice wholemeal loaf which lasts well and tastes very good.

Sorry, I've been out all day! The bread making machines have probably improved in fairness, I've just always found that they produce bread with a different texture and flavour to 'proper' fresh bread and although I'll eat it if there's nothing else, I'd rather 'proper' fresh bread anyday.

I would agree that the crumb will be denser but it will make great toast! It's like most things - more you practice and look at different recipes, better it will get. Sure, they'll be a few disasters along the way as well. However, unlike virtually every supermarket loaf you buy, these loaves won't have enhancers and preservatives in, so you will know what you're eating.

I was very fortunate a few years back to do a four day course at the former Village Bakery in Cumbria and learned a huge amount about artisan bakeries and bread making in general. When I do have time, I can make pretty much any sort of bread quite successfully, as the key is getting the dough to the right consistency - really elastic. Can't be arsed to do all the kneading by hand - the KitchenAid can do that while I do something else - but bread is one of the basics of life and I'd miss it like crazy if I couldn't have it!

I alternate between bread maker and using the Kenwood. either way,, it's 750g flour to 450ml warm water and a sachet of fast action yeast.

I have a combi microwave which has a convection oven with a 40 degree setting, so I prove the bread in there and cook it in one easy operation. I've even invested in a 'Pullman' loaf tin, which makes loaves shaped like the standard Sandwich tin loaves from the supermarket.

the kids tried to rebel to start with, but even they will eat it now.

Back