Breeding and Bloodstock Sales

Amo Racing have got their wallet out in a big way today at Book 1 Newmarket Sales. They’ve just paid 4.4m for a Frankel filly out of Aljazzi. That’s in addition to a Frankel sister to Alpinista at 2.2m and. Frankel colt out of Atone for 1.1m.

Apparently they went way beyond their valuation for the Aljazzi filly.
James Delahooke used say that was the quickest way to the poorhouse; good agents knew good value from bad value.
Best of luck to them in any case.

Yeah I watched the video and I have to say I really wasn’t blown away by her. She’s on the small side and not the most striking of walkers. Looks like she will be a two year old but lacks scope. And that sort of money for a filly? Madness! A case of Amo vs the Japanese and neither would capitulate. A bit of testosterone waving I feel.

I’m not sure if Godolphin or Coolmore got involved in her and if they did, what stage they pulled out. I notice Sheikh Mo is there....looking v scruffy! Hasn’t been seen for a few years either there or on a UK racecourse?

Beckett to train the top priced filly (he’s already had one fall out with Amo in 2021 but has horses back this year)

Sir Mark to train the Alpiniśta sister.....wonder how long before he gives them their marching orders as he’s not one to suffer fools gladly and this man seems to be the ultimate fool!

In case anyone is interested, this is what I like to see in a yearling (actually led up by a friend of mine)...lot 236.

If you look at the way he walks, he just strokes the ground with little effort. As walk is a four time pace, like gallop, it would suggest he should be a fluid mover in his fast paces too. Hopefully he has an engine to match.
Been bought by Godolphin for 1.5m, his sister Idea Generation, has recently won the Flower Bowl Stakes at Saratoga thereby upgrading his pedigree.

I watched both live. The WB is too heavy topped for my liking (good luck to whoever trains it!) and the Mares only runner is useless so far (3 runs, one moderate placing).
The Luxembourg was nicer but I preferred the half sister to Ylang Ylang and I was sorely tempted by lot 392 a filly by Palace Pier. She was unsold at 100k so if anyone wants to buy me a birthday present (it’s in 20 days) she’d do nicely! :cheerleader:

Really enjoying being able to watch it live but v distracting from work! :ROFLMAO:

The WB was submitted by the Burns family.
Forty years ago their filly Balidaress won the Cheveley Park Stakes a year after her half sister Desirable.
(Check An Capall Strikes Again thread for the back story).
Anyways Sheikh Mo bought both fillies and their dam Balidaress , giving $1.6 million for the latter in foal to Alydar ( ALidaress resulted) and multiple millions for Park Appeal privately.
Mr Burns bought stud farms for his children with the proceeds.
By the way Park Appeal is paternal great grand dam of Wootton Bassett.

I remember Balidaress and Desirable well..B Hills trained?
The latter yes, the Corbetts loved a grey filly if memory recalls.
By Lord Gayle she was bought for 12000 or so, Park Appeal (Ahonoora)cost 62,000 a year later I believe.
Balidaress the only mare to breed consecutive Cheveley Park winners though Pretty Polly may have bred two also.
Sunday's Prix de l'Abbaye winner has Balidaress through her dam via Russian Rhythm and her dam sire Sea The Stars .
An only foal, her dam Innocence was a costly loss for her owner CJH.

Back