Breeding and Bloodstock Sales

Check out gmb@racingpost.com to register for Martyn Stephen's daily bloodstock diary.
He reckons we could see the first public 1,000 000 NH sale today,( Caldwell Potter) and the horse could be the cheapest lot sold today.
It may give some perspective to An Capall's valuation of Constitution Hill Saturday in his article.

I read his article but didnt see the answer to the horses valuation.. was it in the DRF article or another

Caldwell gone for 740 Euros, gone to the Fat Man.

Owned in partnership by John Hales/Peter Done/Ged Mason and Baconface

I had a wee search for a post I made a week or two ago in which I mentioned, but not by name, one I'd backed ante-post for the festival. It was Caldwell Potter (10s for each of the Supreme & BB NRNB) so was disappointed that it wasn't able to run at the weekend there. The form with Predator's Gold (via, eg Jetara) was franked and I'd have thought the gavel price would have caused a contraction so am a wee bit surprised it hasn't really.

The fact Elliott was desperate to keep it strikes me as quite significant. He must really rate it and let's hope it turns out to be a really good one. They're talking about the Gold Cup down the line. It looks like the BB might be preferred to the Supreme at this stage but the NRNB concession negates any concerns on that front.

The story, in case it hasn't been linked elsewhere:

Caldwell Potter heading to Paul Nicholls after smashing National Hunt auction record at €740,000 | Racing Post

He’s a stunning looking horse with a really deep chest for extra lung room.

saw this stat just now - makes you wonder about the prices yesterday

NH French-bred won 13 of the 15 races offered during #DublinRacingFestival including 7 Grade 1 (Dancing City, Kargese, Il Etait Temps, Galopin des Champs, El Fabiolo and State Man)
1f1eb-1f1f7.svg

Last edited:
Heytesbury is Mark Roden, the man behind Ding if my “dinner’s in the oven so I’ve got twenty minutes” sleuthing is correct.

Could be totally wrong though [emoji37][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read his article but didnt see the answer to the horses valuation.. was it in the DRF article or another

on his DRF article Colm valued CH north of 1 million but well short of 2,000,000.
Conservative in my estimation given Monday's prices for top lots.
Burrough Hill Lad's owner floated a valuation of 250,000 after his Gold Cup win (40 years ago ) he might sell for.
Long Run/ Our Conor were both priced at a million ten plus years ago when purchased.
CH would easily double that imo.

Heytesbury is Mark Roden, the man behind Ding if my “dinner’s in the oven so I’ve got twenty minutes” sleuthing is correct.

Could be totally wrong though [emoji37][emoji16]

Full marks

Today's HRI notes lists M Roden as the new owner of Pied Piper.

Connie (Coningbeg) is on track to visit Dartmouth towards the end of the month.

In the meantime, I've acquired a share in Mountain Lake - Lot 1412 at Tatts in December
https://www.tattersalls.com/sales/december-mare-sale

I'd like to think that we could get a couple of seasons racing out of her but, as a Godolphin chuck-out, the pedigree is decent. With no Sadlers Wells or French breeding in the near generations, there should be plenty of options for her breeding partners.

Winx filly ( only living offspring) has been bought ( back !) for $10,000,000 [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Love that she’s gone to Debbie Kapitis ( Winx’s part owner) but still… 10 million dollars. £5,213,649.32 according to google. That’s not pence is it [emoji15]

She’s nice, her mum was awesome, but even so !!!!

After a slight hiatus with an anovulatory follicle, Connie was covered by Dartmouth towards the end of April. She's scanned in foal with heartbeat at 28 and 40 days so she came home today and is happily out in the field with her best friend. Nothing more we can do until September except keep everything crossed.

I'd missed your previous post on this Archie. All the very best with Mum and foal to be. Where do you keep her?

Also good news with the new purchase. Has she gone into training or have you bought her as a broodmare?

Connie is at my stepdaughter's place along with her unraced thorougbred gelding hack, 2 welsh moorland ponies and a sports horse mare with a yearling daughter both of which she bred.

Mountain Lake has had 3 runs over hurdles with 2 places and a PU when in season. Current OR of 101. She's only 4 so we're hoping for a couple of seasons of fun before she goes for breeding.

Thanks Archie. The foal will be a true home bred then. Very exciting.

Apologies, I should have checked Mountain Lake's race record before asking. I presume Sam Allwood is local to you by the way?

Thanks Archie. The foal will be a true home bred then. Very exciting.

Apologies, I should have checked Mountain Lake's race record before asking. I presume Sam Allwood is local to you by the way?
About an hour's drive which counts as local in North Wales!

Back