Brendan Powell

Just a quick mention that Brendan's yard is going through a really good couple of weeks with 5 winners already this month. Long may this continue.

He has one runner at Huntingdon this afternoon that could result in winner number six and then Brendan is due to be out in force with his runners tomorrow at Fontwell (one of his favourite tracks), depending on what the weather and the ground does.

Bay Hawk is coming on in leaps and bounds and did a great piece of work last week. Kylie Manser has ridden him a few times and she loves him. I would love Kylie to ride him as she really is one of our underated female jockeys in my opinion and she is a really great character too. Bay Hawk could be on the track (probably allweather) in a couple of weeks. We all know the dangers of leg injuries and how many horses never really recover so I am under absolutely no illusions as to what his future in racing may (or may not) hold.

Brendan's runner at Huntingdon won yesterday, short price though. The purple patch continues with Big Al winning in great style under a superb ride by Sam Jones at Fontwell. :clap: Four more runners at Fontwell to go so fingers crossed for yet another win for the yard!

Kylie Manser featured in an ATR look at the Racing School with James Millman, Kevin Ghunowa and a few others Kathy - not sure if you've seen it or not :)

No, I didn't see it, Martin. She is a lovely girl and a very competent jockey and really deserves to do well.

I was at the yard today calling him Simon, Diminuendo. :D I think he is going to call The Racing Post and point out their error. He is a really talented young jockey and great to see all his hard work paying off.

I told him he has to pay me a tenner if I am to say more nice things about him on Brendan's website.

Bay Hawk is back racing tomorrow in the 12:20 at Lingfield. Kylie Manser gets to ride him as I promised her weeks ago. I am certainly not expecting miracles even though the yard is flying at the moment. I just hope that they both come back sound.

He ran as well as could be expected having had a year off.

Broke out of the stalls last, slow into stride, raced in snatches, got blocked in and could have easily gone around again as he was running on again at the end.

Assuming his legs are OK, and early signs are promising, we will look for another race in a couple of weeks, possibly a bit further and perhaps stick Richard Quinn up.

I thought it was encouraging enough given the trip was way too short and the pace way too slow for him to have a realistic chance. He was always going to be caught for a turn of foot but he was staying on as you'd have hoped and seem to be pretty comfortable. Hopefully all will be well in the morning and you've got him back for a good while.

The good news is Bay Hawk has trotted out 100% sound this morning and Brendan is already looking for his next race. With all the sad news in racing this week, for me at least this has been some encouraging news and I applaud the efforts of Brendan, his vet and his staff for getting Bay Hawk back to the racecourse.

All I need to do now is work out how I am going to cope when Brendan finds a suitable novice hurdle for The Hawk. :rolleyes:

Brendan has just had another winner down at Fontwell today. The owner is a lovely, elderly gentleman called Alan Mills who I have met a few times. When Alan sadly lost his wife a few years back he phoned Brendan (who he knew from having had horses with him before) and asked if he had a suitable horse to fill his days. Along came Count Kristo. When I first met Alan at Fontwell he said as he hadn't had a win with Count Kristo he didn't have one photo of him :what: I soon put that right! :) I am absolutely thrilled that today was Count Kristo's day and I hope Alan was there to see him win by 18 lengths! I am sure Alan will now have a few winning photos to adorn his mantlepiece! Well done Count Kristo, well done Brendan and well done Alan! :clap:

I only took a couple of photos as it was quite cold and I actually forgot to take my camera out until just before the jockeys were due to mount.

Bay Hawk and Kylie Manser adjusting her irons..or the girth?

BAYHAWKATLINGFIELD17THNOVEMBER20-1.jpg

Kylie Manser
BAYHAWKATLINGFIELD17THNOVEMBER20070.jpg

Great news Kathy! Onward and upward now...

Btw I'd love a photo or two of Count Kristo if you could be bothered to email them to me. He was one of my favourites at Clive Cox's and I always spent lots of time giving him some fussy - he didn't talk to everyone so I was honoured! Really thrilled to hear he has a nice owner. I do love a 'black' horse. No word on the RP site that he was claimed - do hope not

I have put a couple up of Count Kristo on Brendan's site, HS. Feel free to use these. If you can't capture them, let me know and I will e-mail them to you.

I think Brendan was considering withdrawing both horses this morning as he had no idea what the ground would be like as it was flooded in Lambourn, tipping it down in Chichester and then all seemed ok when he arrived at Fontwell. :what: I am so glad that Count Kristo ran as the owner will be on cloud nine right now - not only that he won but he did it so well. Sam Jones was unseated by Mr. President yesterday at the first fence so this win would be a real confidence boost for him too.

By the way CK won by 16 lengths not 18 lengths as mentioned previously. :shy:

Heh heh! What's a length between freinds??

Thanks, will look on the website then - didn't want to go nicking your pics off there secret-like :P

Count Kristo was beaten a short head yesterday HS at Plumpton in case you missed that one.

Does anyone know where I can get the number of winners (flat and NH) for Brendan Powell for years 2000 and 2001. I can get all the other results from The Racing Post but they only seem to go back as far as 2002.

Any help gratefully received. :)

He's just been interviewed on ATR, if no one puts them figures up Kathy I will try and root them out later today.

Back