Brian Hartigan

I only met Brian a couple of times, both at Cheltenham, and he was a true gent.

On here he ruled the roost, and added so much to the enjoyment and involvement. Sadly he decided he wanted no more of all the shenanigans that went on at the time, and he stepped away, and Talking Horses was poorer for it. Many of his closer friends and virtual friends followed by leaving here shortly afterwards too.

He was missed then, and has been ever since, and I'm so sad to learn of his passing. The tributes from so many on here are all anyone needs to know about how well respected and loved Brian was. So to those of you on here who knew him well, and to all of his friends and family who may look in, my sincerest condolences. The measure of the man is that we can only hope to put a fraction of a mark on the world that Brian did.

My last trip to Cheltenham was 2019. I was invited with a friend to the Robcour box. Unbelievably Brian and his crew were in the seats right in front of box. I spent the day leaning oner the rail chatting to him. I always had to say everything twice because he could never understand a word of what I said.

I have shared a link to your wonderful comments on this post with Brian's wife Val and his son James, who not doubt will be very proud.

Thanks DG for letting me know about Lord H's passing . It was good to see Bernardo's post above I remember Lord H once posting in annoyance that they had missed out on their usual Cheltenham Festival reserved seats .

It was not all that long ago that I saw something he had posted on Facebook . I don't think he was a regular user- I sent him a friend request and a year later he accepted !

There are few people one meets in life who one immediately recognises as a "gentleman" and if you met him you knew that was what he was . His love for Arkle was legendary and his knowledge about the horse. His stories of Lord Noelie ( who can forget that gallant fourth in the Hennessy ) and the horse winning when in the hands of Bridget Nicholls on the long lost New Years Eve Cheltenham card ? and the tale of the " missed" Attraction.

I remember also that lovely day at Goodwood , well the weather wasn't lovely and the less said about Oscar Urbina's ride on Soviet Song the better - when he got us all in to the Richmond Enclosure and much fun was had by all.

An admirable , splendid man who knew what life was for- for living and having a bloody good time and looking after others - my deepest condolences to his family and friends and thanks so much Lord H for the forum memories.

Back