C4 ratings catastrophe for The Derby

Jealousy is a terrible thing EC. It’ll only eat away at your innards. Although I did some place only betting, it was a particularly efficient week of winners, betting against myself only a couple of times. People sometimes do this to defend downside rather than maximise upside. Let me know when you start making it pay.;)

Does Ryan Moore need to tell people he's a very good jockey? :rolleyes:

Jealousy is a terrible thing EC. It’ll only eat away at your innards. Although I did some place only betting, it was a particularly efficient week of winners, betting against myself only a couple of times. People sometimes do this to defend downside rather than maximise upside. Let me know when you start making it pay.;)

How do you know he doesn't make it pay?

Last edited:
As long as it's only once a year at most :D. To put it bluntly he bores the arse off me.

If he bores the arse off you as a passionate racing fan then he'll have the weekly passing interest viewers reaching for the razor blades.

He offers some good insight on RUK but his smug racing inteligencia "I'm cleverer than the rest of you" arrogance would be the nail in the coffin for C4.

As for sectionals, I like Simon a lot but I think he'd be the first to admit he wouldn't be for Channel 4. I think Cunningham and Segal (when on) do the "geek" segment quite well given it's mainstream TV.

i were only kiddin Steve...:blink:

what exactly am i jealous of here?...i find that a bit of a bizarre comment...is it because you are a better tipster than I?.. or what is it i'm missing here?

i'll just say..i always like reading your posts..always have...and wish you would post more often...but please have the ability to laugh at yourself rather than taking it too personally...it was banter...not a dig.

i know all about defending downside...i've actually been at this game a while now;)

Last edited:
If he bores the arse off you as a passionate racing fan then he'll have the weekly passing interest viewers reaching for the razor blades.

He offers some good insight on RUK but his smug racing inteligencia "I'm cleverer than the rest of you" arrogance would be the nail in the coffin for C4.

As for sectionals, I like Simon a lot but I think he'd be the first to admit he wouldn't be for Channel 4. I think Cunningham and Segal (when on) do the "geek" segment quite well given it's mainstream TV.

i think this is the problem isn't it?...if you put someone in who polarises opinion..willo or chapman you will get people not liking it...if you put dullards in..you get other group of people not liking it...so in the end they try to get middle ground people that no one is really bothered about.

if any one of the present team packed in..it wouldn't seem a loss to me..whereas if they had willo or chapman there and got rid of them i'd think it a loss...Frankel would be pleased...you just can't please everyone...which ends up with the middle ground always being where people are picked from to present a show.

Last edited:
i were only kiddin Steve...:blink:

what exactly am i jealous of here?...i find that a bit of a bizarre comment...is it because you are a better tipster than I?.. or what is it i'm missing here?

i'll just say..i always like reading your posts..always have...and wish you would post more often...but please have the ability to laugh at yourself rather than taking it too personally...it was banter...not a dig.

i know all about defending downside...i've actually been at this game a while now;)

I was in joking mode too. It gets too nasty otherwise. Snide is nonetheless snide. You can dish it out when it suits, but tetchy when taking it. Your advice at laughing at yourself is good... take it.

I was in joking mode too. It gets too nasty otherwise. Snide is nonetheless snide. You can dish it out when it suits, but tetchy when taking it. Your advice at laughing at yourself is good... take it.

i had years of taking comments it on here...laugh at myself...are you really joking?..have you actually read the forum over the years?

if you can't take a crack or two then its you who has a problem Steve..its you who can't take it chap.

there will be no more banter from me towards you..will that suit you?

Last edited:
if any one of the present team packed in..it wouldn't seem a loss to me..whereas if they had willo or chapman there and got rid of them i'd think it a loss...Frankel would be pleased...you just can't please everyone...which ends up with the middle ground always being where people are picked from to present a show.

Not comparing Chapman with Willo surely EC?
Chapman is superb. Willo on the other hand, as Gamla says is a bit too smug. I liked the way Ruby Walsh put him in his box slightly in that interview.

no no..not comparing them in any way Frankel...just saying i'd miss em.

I have a few suggestions for them anyway;)

Rory Delargy - one of the best if not the best form men around..very good reader of a race pre race. ...he must surely get a chance at some point

Matt Chapman - marmite character..but to those who like boring arses...we got them now and no bugger watches

I'd let Lord Snooty stay...throw in Willo...replace Jim Mcgrath with Rory

keep Frankie...get rid of Mick Fitz...don't need two jockeys...Mick comes across as a very genuine guy...but he's no good at this

Shuffling the presenters is like shuffling the decks on the titanic

Won't make any difference. As said before, flat racing is in decline. Go in an office now and find anyone who knows who won the derby.

It's been it's own worst enemy at times. It's seen as tacky and bent. Godolphns doping was a disaster for the sport. Absolute disgrace and lunacy

also Amazed me when the barney Curley coup was eulogised here and in some the media. Hard to think of anything more likely to make a decreasing audience turn its back

I pop in bookies when out and about to catch big races (nothing more) . Top Jump racing still draws in a small crowd interested in what's going on. Top Flat racing? Barely anyone

Last edited:
we might as well close the game down then

talking of the titanic..i'm glad i wasn't on it with you..i'd have chucked mesen off before the iceburg

yer cheery sod;)

we might as well close the game down then

talking of the titanic..i'm glad i wasn't on it with you..i'd have chucked mesen off before the iceburg

yer cheery sod;)

I reckon you were the one steering it

Well maybe I'm overdoing it a bit. Maybe it's just found its level in audience. Won't go up and won't go down

Last edited:
Back