Calico Cat

Saw this on RP Bloodstock today:

THE Tattersalls July Sale, which starts its three-day run on July 11, has been a given massive boost with four quality lots added as wild cards.

RELATED LINKS

They include a trio of runners belonging to Middleham Park Racing led by Penitent, the recent winner of the Group 2 Bet365 Mile at Sandown. The operation has also catalogued the Oratorio filly Esentepe, who was a ready winner of the Group 3 Nell Gwyn Stakes at Newmarket in April, and Lilys Angel, a daughter of Dark Angel who won last year's Listed Empress Stakes. The quartet of wild card entries is completed by Calico Cat, who was third on his first start in the Group 3 Ormonde stakes at Chester's May meeting for Alastair Lidderdale. He went on to break his maiden before running second to Group 1 winner Cavalryman in the Listed Grand Cup at York.

He will have a reserve but we will decide nearer the day what it should be. We have had plenty of people interested and offers as well, hopefully he should make something between 200 and 250, he is a nice horse who looks great and should make a cracking hurdler / cup horse for someone.

He is owned 60% by myself and 40% by outside members, 30% of these want to sell, and I am not in a position to buy them out, given his value so it makes sense to send him to the sales.

He is owned 60% by myself and 40% by outside members, 30% of these want to sell, and I am not in a position to buy them out, given his value so it makes sense to send him to the sales.

Do you and AN Other not have the majority vote here assuming the other owners hold a 10% stake?

You do, but if people want to drop out and the terms were 12 months (we got him 12 months ago) then they are entitled to drop out, but if we were to buy him back in, we would still need to sell them out so to speak.

Pretty sure one of those 100+ races retirement Class 6 handicaps has gone to the horse who it's named after once or twice but couldn't name one off-hand.

Martin

I was thinking that. Has a horse ever won a race named after him?

This has been driving me mad for the last 2 hours. I'm sure I remember a Jumper winning a race named after him about 5 years ago but I can't remember the name of the horses. I thought he had 'Arctic' in his name, and have just trawled through 400+ horses but couldn't find him. :mad:

Didn't Russian Winter win the Russian Winter H'cap at Ayr?

I'm wondering if Pergoda won a race named after him at Musselburgh or maybe Le Garcon D'Or?

Lester Piggot won the race named after him at Chepstow on Nicholas in1990 or1991. By Myles na gCapallin's theory of the exchange of atoms between 2 bodies in close contact Lester would qualify as being >50% horse. ref "The Third Policeman" by MnC. Hilarious. I am sure Stan Mellor trained winners of The Stan Mellor chase etc.

It used to bug me no end that Touch Above (who ironically had a couple of wins in the Rapid Lad Handicap) and Rapid Lad had races named after them at Beverley yet Eire Leath Sceal didn't.

Unsurprisingly (to me anyway) Calico Cat didn't make anywhere near the 200k hoped for at the sales and went for 40k (to a Sweden trainer by the looks of things?)which is still a decent profit on the original investment,however it was only 37k more than the great Teacher who must be one of Highclere's biggest flops and was sold for a measly 3k which some would argue is 3k too much.

Unsurprisingly (to me anyway) Calico Cat didn't make anywhere near the 200k hoped for at the sales and went for 40k (to a Sweden trainer by the looks of things?)which is still a decent profit on the original investment,however it was only 37k more than the great Teacher who must be one of Highclere's biggest flops and was sold for a measly 3k which some would argue is 3k too much.

40k?..bloody hell i'd feel sick after being offered 200k :blink:

Jeez,just looked at the dams other progeny that have raced.
Whatever possessed them to spend 100k on the horse in the first place?

Back