Calico Cat

What a FANTASTIC effort!!

Well I have truly eaten my words right, well done Chris that is some horse you have on your hands - well done Alastair Lidderdale marvelous performance.

2nd £7,525.00 doesn't do that run any justice!

What a roller coaster of a an hour or so that must have been. Congrats with Calico Cat, hope you have lots more fun with him.

Don't blame him either. Awful analysis. There is no way the piece would have been worded in such a way if Calico Cat was trained by Sir M Stoute.
Shoddy. But then it wouldnt be the first time that race analysis has been based on perception of the relevance of connections, sales prices, betting shows and he saids shes saids, rather than actual racetrack performance.

Bunch of knobs. (a lot of the time)

Im so excited about this horse for Chris its just not true - just goes to show if you REALLY want something theres usually a way... :)

Chris, I see on Twitter that you're not best pleased with the race reader in the Racing Post.

Presumably the first section is the offending piece:
Unreliable form potentially, with neither Barbican or Gulf Of Naples running to their mark, and for all that it looks as though he´s been underrated, Calico Cat shouldn´t really have been able to run a horse of CAVALRYMAN´s caliber so close.
Calico Cat only made his debut a couple of weeks ago, appearing to finish a highly flattered third to Memphis Tennessee in the Ormond Stakes, but he ran to a decent level when winning his maiden at Thirsk not long after, and this effort seemedto confirm he´s at least very useful. Being so lightly raced, it´s likely he has further improvement in him.
There is a concession there that CC may have been underrated and I imagine the writer wouldn't access this forum or Chris's blog/website so he was probably reflecting the racing public consensus in that a 66/1 third in a small field in a slow time in very soft ground at a track like Chester isn't on the face of it form to go to war with. Then winning a Class 5 maiden at Thirsk wouldn't normally entitle a horse to a rating in the 90s yet it looks like that is what he may have been on course for, so without insider knowledge about the horse the assertion that he really shouldn't have been able to run Cavalryman so close is a fair one. It would have been unfair if CC was trading at 4/1 - as a rep from one of the major stables with a asimilar background might have been - so if I were Chris I'd take the comment as representative of the betting public consensus that the horse is going to remain underrated and therefore potentially more of a betting proposition until the public catches on.

Chris has already turned down a very big sum so it's not as if a 'negative' comment will have any bearing on whether he sells it. Once it has really done the business, bigger offers will come in anyway.

I find the misspelling of 'calibre' more offensive...

By the way, this was my pre-race assessment:
Cavalryman 114? (116e)
Barbican 108o (111+)
Calico Cat 106? slw
Gulf Of Naples 105p
Western Pearl 103?
Mystery Star 95 (101)

Another dodgy Godolphin top-rated dictates the shape of this race. If Cavalryman turns up in form he wins. While he has never really got close to his third place behind Sea The Stars in the Arc three years ago, he still regularly turns out performances worth figures in excess of 110, which would leave only Barbican’s best form as the danger. Again, probably not a race in which to bet but 4/1 would tempt me.

Last edited:
Back