Calling Londoners

bayswater is good location and central line is excellent of course. But most lines are these days bar the northern perhpd

Eh, no - like most lines, bar the reasonably-well and newly renovated circle line, the Central line is not dependable, filthy and unbearable in any temperatures over 20 degrees.

It's bizarre what the English accept in terms of public services. If you want to see a decent metro line, go to Paris and see what they have done with lines 1 and 14 (the rest of the lines will follow in the years to come).

I take it Notting Hill is in two distinct parts? The flash bit (wherever that was) and the utter sh*it-hole up around NHG tube station?

Heading home today, after a very enjoyable trip. Clive, I've nothing but good things to say about the Bayswater area, and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Great spot for a tourist to base themselves, imo.

You are not far wrong, but there is a nice part around Westbourne Park, with some nice pubs etc.

Agree that Bayswater, especially with its proximity to the parks and to most places in London in general is as good a place as any to base yourself.

London is a very good city, the free art galleries its biggest plus, along with its parks, but suffers due to its transport (and look at the ridiculous prices) and the fact that it is dominated by chains, in terms of shops, pubs, cafes, restaurants etc. You only need to go to a European city to see how a city can reflect itself and its identity through non-chain versions of the above (I don't use the word 'independent' as it is used to allude to a minority, alternative version of something here in London, which should not be the case). London doesn't have that (nor does England) meaning a street is often the same , give or take 1/2 shops, in many different parts of London. But no-one cares and continues to support the chains so the problem will get worse, not better.

Last edited:
What total bollocks. Central line is 35 trains an hour and is very rarely stopped. You can get on a carriage on not see one piece of litter

I use the tube all week long and cant remeber last proper delay on any line.

Must jump on central 50 -100 times a year and I cannot even recall wIting more than 2 minutes

Last edited:
Grass went through brick lane qhere out of over 100 shops and cafes there is not one single "chain"

pirtobello hassimilar number of outlets and I would suggest no more than 5 chains

amsterdam hamburg and stockholm are most certainly dominated by big chains

Last edited:
I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised by the service on the Tube. I haven't used it extensively in the last 4-5 years (usually get local hotel/apartment if down there working), but it was significantly better than I recall. The stations seem generally to be in a much better state than they used to be (assume many were tarted-up for Olympics?).

That said, I still think the Metropolitain is probably a smidgen better in terms of look/feel, but that's just personal preference.

Metline has new trains. Its the one I use least probably.

I rely on tube for work and have a serious aversion to being even five minutes late for clients. The tfl website gives tube service updates and do I ever check it?

Never.

Last edited:
Grass went through brick lane qhere out of over 100 shops and cafes there is not one single "chain"

pirtobello hassimilar number of outlets and I would suggest no more than 5 chains

Think you maybe meant to address Hamm re chain-outlets, Clive. We stayed on Princes Gardens which was a 30-second hoof heading north from Westbourne Grove, which was dominated by boutique shops.

Mind you, 30 seconds east onto Queensway and it was a different story - there were two Bella Italias within 200 yards of each other.

I think it's safe to say you haven't even been to Amsterdam by that comment.

You have to name the 2 more alternative areas - thanks for proving my point!

Arguing with you is like doing the same with a 5 year old!

Queensway is a bit like that grass. Today im cyling vauxhall camberwell dulwich herne hill peckham

all dominated by independent cafes and shops. Peckham has chains at top end but the southern end is like one huge african bazaar

but of course I could be making it up

Great food stalls on a sat though

But the hidden gem is golbourne road market, branching off towards trellick tower. As portoblello would have been 40 years ago maybe and really unique street

Enjoy it while you can - council are hiking up the prices of the stalls to stop the tat end coming back in.

Used to go every Saturday for a walk with the previous dog to get the fresh croissants down by Elgin Crescent but stopped that when the prices went sky high and there were less and less good stalls and more stalls just selling the same stuff.

Lived around the area for about 26 years now - difference is amazing (not all good) but the house prices are appalling. This house is 5mins walk from me - I could probably afford the toilet! http://bective.co.uk/property-for-sale/st-quintin-avenue-north-kensington-w10/3870005_1899211

Off the top of head areas with few chains and dominated by boutique shops cafes etc

clerkenwelll
shoreditch
mayfair
soho (prime and huge example)
Marylebone high st
edgeware road
hampstead
camden town
peckham rye
fulham
Kings road
bloomsbury
borougj
fitzrovia

plus the above

Oh dear. 1/2 independent shops does not mean not dominated by chains. I was in Fulham yesterday, there is hardly a shop BUT a chain. I think you're going soft in the head.

Fulham north end road is "chains"? Wtf?

So you think the above areas have just a couple of independent outlets each ?

Nutjob

more for list

stjames
pimlico
brixton
Hendon
southall
alperton
south ken

and so on

Easily checked if like hamm you only know these areas from some drivel published somewhere.Google streetview. Job done

and then see if mayfair is dominated by argos lidl and carpetright lol

Last edited:
Waterloo cut and lower marsh
bermondsey high street
hackney esp broadway market
clapham
turnham green
charing cross road (books)
Tottenham court road (electronics)
Bethnal green

Glad I was able to contribute to such a bonding thread. :D

The rain started specking against the train-windows about 400 yards outside Waverley station, I sh*it you not. It is now sunny, but fu*cking freezing.

Welcome to Scotland. If the Yes twats could guarantee me better weather, I'd vote for the arseholes.

PS. London is just a great city, and it would miss the point (imo) to get lost in a debate about whether or not there is a Tesco Metro on the Old Kent Road. The big chain shops are mere stitches on a much more colourful and vibrant tapestry.

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed it

My cycle route today took in a south London panorama. There was a mass gathering and worship of some sort outside an eritrean churchin camberwell. fascinating and a real community feel. Hundreds there and a real serene atmosphere. . the camberwell streets are a hidden treasure too. then The view from brockwell park is fantastic. The dulwich picture gallery had a fine Hockney exhibition. Dulwich park was beautiful. Wonderful. The Sunday street food market and shops at herne hill were great for an hour. Peckham rye had an Aussie rules game on. I kid you not. Most underrated green space in London. Peckham was buzzing as ever.

None of those places would be on any typical tourist agenda

Didnt quite have time to stop by Tate modern for third visit to the Richard Hamilton exhibition and passed by the fascinating Iwm.

Yes. Some city . I'm lucky

Last edited:
Definitely NOT a local :) House prices around here have rocketed in the last couple of years and even if we could offer to buy our flat from the Housing Assoc we couldnt afford it.

Sometimes think I should explore London more but there are so many more places outside of the town I want to go to that they get put down the list.

I lived for 7 years in London, and they were amazingly fun years. The city is an absolutely brilliant life form.

Sure some places might have a few too many chains than one would like, but I have never hung out in any part of London where it is not possible to find an interesting, independently owned pub, coffee shop, restaurant, grocers or butchers within a stone's throw.

If you can't see past the chains (and it's only bad in places like Croydon, Hammersmith and Lewisham from what I have seen), you really are missing out on a lot of fun and experiences.

Having said all that, I am glad to be back in Dublin. Sure, it is a lot less vibrant, and culturally almost a vacuum in comparison. But there are a few great spots here. And it is where all the people I love live.

I have had conversations about the highs and lows of London a few times with people who ask me about these things.

I'm in contact with a few people down there, born-and-bred so to speak, about 50 percent of my old friends have a desire to leave the city, Cornwall,, places like this tickle their fancy.

The others seem to be settled, have a kid or two, but are far from tickle-pink with their lives.

The one who loves it most is my old football manager, but he is just a don, a well connected man, so he's fine :)

I'd like to go back after having had a few years anyway in the countryside,/coast, although I'm 28, ask someone who worked and lived in London for 30 years in my mother, she'll say packed tubes, the hustle and bustle is something she does not need now.

She has chronic lung disease, has had a stroke, and is currently having the time of her life visiting Bamburgh Castle, and the Farn Islands

Each to their own.

Last edited:
Back