Cambridgeshire

steve13

At the Start
Hi all

Would I be right in thinking that, to get into the Cambridgeshire, a horse would have to be rated about 90?

Bit higher about 94-95 bare minimum.

Lots of group horses run in cambridgeshire now and proportionate off 100+ horses is greater than it used to be.

You can't really get in as a high class 0-85/0-90 horse anymore.

Thanks guys, appreciate that.
Is there a website that you can view race conditions for future races?

No horse has landed back-to-back victories in the first leg of the autumn double since Prince De Galles in 1969-70, and Bronze Angel would have to do it on his first run of the season, should he line up at Newmarket on September 28.

He has had his training problems since finishing fifth behind Cambridgeshire runner-up Mull Of Killough in a Group Three at Newmarket last October, but is "back on track", according to trainer Marcus Tregoning.

"At the moment he's on course for the Cambridgeshire. He's going well so we just have to hope he gets there on time," said Tregoning.

"He's had a soundness issue which has been resolved. It's took a big chunk of the season out, but he's back on track now and hopefully that's where we're going.

"He runs well fresh and has been going well up to now. Let's hope he remains so and he's in good form."

Ante-post favourite Top Notch Tonto is also on course to run in the Cambridgeshire.

The three-year-old has won two of his three starts since joining Brian Ellison's North Yorkshire yard in July.

Last time out he gave Ellison his first Group victory in the Superior Mile at Haydock.

"The plan is to run in the Cambridgeshire," said Ellison. "He is a lot better on soft ground, a stone better, and I would be tempted not to run him if it came up fast, although the final decision would be left to his owner.

"The Cambridgeshire is a race that I would love to win. You need a proper horse to win it and I think that this fellow is up to the job.

"I have gone quite close a couple of times in the past, especially with Teslin (third to Pipedreamer in 2007) who might even have won if he had been drawn on the right side, and Top Notch Tonto compares favourably with him."

For the first time I am going to this meeting - dont normally do big meetings as they are being taken over by the "stag/hen" brigades but couldnt resist the chance.

Any betting tips gratefully received!

slightly surprised with Hugo Palmer talking about the ground for Ascription,
I think he will be better suited by good than softer ground.

Good edition of this great race

I'm biased after last year but Bronze Angel has a fair chance of defending his crown. He won it last year in the style of a horse still well handicapped even after a 6lb rise - and of course the race has worked out tremendously from a form perspective. I've had 36 and 31 matched on the machine and will be going in each way when the decs come out.

Hugo palmer comments about the ground are bizard

On pedigree the horse would prefer good ground and I dont see how they will bypass this opportunity, maybe they are preparing think bets.

best horse at the weights is bronze angel, quite clearly thrown in, trainer's lazy quotes in the rp are just pressure reducing, i think they are confident.

"Is there a website that you can view race conditions for future races?"

The Racing Post cards have an option to highlight the race conditions, it should be the default setting. Not sure about looking at anything more than 5 days ahead though.

Looks like Ascription will come out too, which I won't mind. I'm on quite heavily at 16/1 ew but I'd rather get the money back by not running than taking the chance he'll be okay on it. Like sunybay, though, I'm surprised they think he is ground dependent.

trainer's lazy quotes in the rp are just pressure reducing, i think they are confident.

The guy has had eight winners all year so this is huge for him. With that in mind he'd have trained the horse to the minute for this. It can't be stated enough how impressive a fete it was in both the Britannia and this race last year to finish where he did given his draw in both events. 20/1+ is a gift from above. Mukhadram and Mull of Killough were in behind in 2012 and this year the race doesn't seem to have any contenders of that type to worry about. Queensberry Rules actually finished in the same position in the Britannia and although he didn't have to cross most of the width of the track to get involved like Bronze Angel did the year before he did have to bob and weave a bit through the field. His runs subsequent (when he seemed to be well backed both times) aren't that relevant as the International at Ascot is over 7f and the race at York lto was run at a crawl. He's worth a cover.

Your bullishness about Bronze Angel has had me re-reading last year's race a few times, euro! I have the race rated a pound or so higher than RPRs and I've a '+?' circled about the entire race to remind me that the form might be stronger still. However, I think it's dangerous to take the subsequent form of the likes Of Mull Of Killough and Mukhadram as an indication that all of the form is seriously under-rated.

I mentioned to people last night that the 14/1 the field was the biggest price in a generation for any race including the likes of the Grand National and you can get 16s the field this morning. It's like the good old days. The 20/1 Bronze Angel is about right given the strength in depth of the field. I see you think it's a weak renewal but I have to disagree. This is a tremendous renewal with no fewer than thirteen – more than a third – of the field on ORs of 100 or more and that’s not counting Top Notch Tonto [nr], Arsaadi and Chapter Seven, whose future ORs have been raised to at least that, and a couple of others already over 100 whose mark has been raised further. It's as hot a handicap as you'll get in European flat racing, probably the hottest I've ever rated.

Last edited:
I think this is a good edition
I fancy very much AScritption, the price is massive, if not running money back

the main dangers are:
Bronze Angel
King George River
Forgive
Seek Again

I fancy very much AScritption, the price is massive, if not running money back

He is interesting. I had a horse on my tracker earlier in the summer whose form was all on fast ground so I ignored him when he won on good/soft a month or so ago and he was by Sakhee who loved the mud.

Back