Cape Blanco

I know that you know more about this than me Miesque, but I'm surprised at this figure. That would place him about level pricewise with High Chaparral with just the big three above him on their Irish roster.

Last edited:
Surely they'd want to send him to Ashford? $25-30k a fair price out there and he'll be viewed as a triple Grade 1 winner and in all probability will be Champion Turf Male come January.

I know that you know more about this than me Miesque, but I'm surprised at this figure. That would place him about level pricewise with High Chaparral with just the big three above him on their Irish roster.

That seems high to me too. He wasn't treated like a 25-30k proposition and to be honest I think the planning of his career was poor.
His dams pedigree might n't appeal to everyone either.

Anyone know where 'At first sight' ended up ?

He's in Australia Sheikh - currently trained by Robert Hickmott and last ran at Caulfield in a Group 3 Handicap over 10f on 17th September.

He was beaten half a length by Melbourne Cup favourite December Draw.

He's previously run over a mile and also over six furlongs but was beaten on both occasions.

That seems high to me too. He wasn't treated like a 25-30k proposition and to be honest I think the planning of his career was poor.
His dams pedigree might n't appeal to everyone either.

Anyone know where 'At first sight' ended up ?

The dam line is popular in the US. At First Sight and Midas Touch went to Oz together.

Rip - 3 G1 wins, 750k-ish winnings, more consistent, arguably more fragile.
CB - 5 G1 wins, 2.2million winnings, consistent but for the blip Oct10-Ascot, tougher horse.

On paper RVW is the one to breed to but personally I'd use CB first. All a matter of opinion though and I wouldn't be surprised to see CB standing for 15k at all.

Cape Blanco would have been nowhere near Sea the Stars in that Eclipse.

I wouldn't breed from Rip though but that's a different matter.

What does listing Group 1s mean though? CBs were won in much poorer races than Rip's. Campanologist has 3 Group 1s.

Last edited:
Cape Blanco good horse, Rip Van Wikle better one
half a stone more or less when both at their best

Cape Blanco would have been nowhere near Sea the Stars in that Eclipse.

I wouldn't breed from Rip though but that's a different matter.

What does listing Group 1s mean though? CBs were won in much poorer races than Rip's. Campanologist has 3 Group 1s.

True - but I genuinely think CB will be the better stallion (Watch RVW turn into Sadler's mark II now)

I thought it was me clipping the back of your head...

Career's was originally career's achievements...

Slightly, yes. But that's not Rip's best form.

Who were second and third, within a length, in Cape Blanco's Irish Derby? (I can't remember their names but know they were pretty hopeless)

Last edited:
Timeform have Cape Blanco at around 123/124 at his best, with a spike to 130 in the Irish Champion, which could probably be explained by an extraordinarily good front-running ride that allowed him to burn off the others including, of course, Rip Van Winkle. Rip was the better horse though, despite his terrible feet.

Back