CASPIAN CAVIAR GOLD CUP 13 December

I've taken your comments on board Grass..you are right..i'd like to apologise to Euro + Granger for my comments..got to stop taking it personally..its a flaw i will work on.

Weird race. Brilliant ride by Coleman. I really thought Frankie was an Ascot horse and maybe one of the fallers would have chinned him, who knows. I was never happy with Barrakilla in the last mile (jumped brilliantly on the first circuit) and he might be a 3-miler.
Entered in the big handicap chase on the Tuesday DO, what do you reckon? :)

Last edited:
I haven't looked closely at the race yet, marble. I did notice he was entered but wanted to get this weekend out of the way first. I might look this evening or tomorrow and get back to you.

Barakilla on my short-list (of about 16).

There's 58 left in this. I'm waiting until final decs before I have another look - it's impossible to know what will be running at this stage.

I've done the figures down to number 41 in the list. I'll be surprised if anything below that gets in.

What's the story with Pendra? Has there been some monster tip for it? Is it beating some superstar or other on the gallops? Is it just that AP might ride?

For the life of me I cannot see why it is as short as 7/1. I'll have another look at last year's form but right now I wouldn't take three times the odds. In fact, I reckon quite a lot of the more prominent ones in the market are pretty short relative to where they stand on my figures, which makes me wonder about my own figures!

Barrakilla is the type that I can see my having sickness insurance on (having backed him last time) but 16/1 isn't generous given how many others appear to have better chances.

The ones that make most appeal right now, but I'm not settling on anything just yet, are Theatre Guide, Make A Track, Gevrey Chambertin, The Package and Vintage Star, and I might bin some of them and add more before Tuesday.

Cool. Well, Barrakilla appealed to me as his form with Sound Investment worked out well, (that horse now rated 155).
Dolutulu in 2nd also franked the form, and Barrakilla looks like an improved type this season, imo.

And Charlie Longsdon reminds me of the new Tim Vaughan with his runners around Cheltenham.

I couldn't have Pendra with someone else's money.

Three of those five on your list look pretty exposed or too long in the tooth to me DO?

Barrakilla appealed to me as his form with Sound Investment worked out well, (that horse now rated 155).
Dolatulu in 2nd also franked the form.
No Buts in 4th won next time out and the 5th horse Filbert has won over fences since, so as far as strong form goes that's pretty good.
The handicapper would have preferred a few pound on top of what Barakilla is currently scheduled to carry on Tuesday, imho.

Last edited:
Three of those five on your list look pretty exposed or too long in the tooth to me DO?

Yes, hence the prospect of binning some and adding others.

I looked a bit more into some of the past runnings to see how my ratings and/or bets in the past went. It strikes me as one of those races where they either run their race or blow out completely. Last year was a good example. I backed a few in the race (as per) including Hadrian's Approach and The Package. The former just didn't go a yard and bombed, only to come out later and win the Whitbread, ultimately justifying my high rating for him. The Package ran his race but found two ridiculously well-handicapped (as it turned out) unexposed types running away from him (Holywell and Ma Filleule). My goal this year is to try and root out the Holywell or Ma Filleule in the race.

No Buts in 4th won next time out and the 5th horse Filbert has won over fences since, so as far as strong form goes that's pretty good.
The handicapper would have preferred a few pound on top of what Barakilla is currently scheduled to carry on Tuesday, imho.

I think I've factored that in, marble, but will double-check before Tuesday.

Yes, hence the prospect of binning some and adding others.

I looked a bit more into some of the past runnings to see how my ratings and/or bets in the past went. It strikes me as one of those races where they either run their race or blow out completely. Last year was a good example. I backed a few in the race (as per) including Hadrian's Approach and The Package. The former just didn't go a yard and bombed, only to come out later and win the Whitbread, ultimately justifying my high rating for him. The Package ran his race but found two ridiculously well-handicapped (as it turned out) unexposed types running away from him (Holywell and Ma Filleule). My goal this year is to try and root out the Holywell or Ma Filleule in the race.
What do you think of Clondaw Knight, DO ?
Looked like he had a ton in hand at wetherby but was given the inevitable thumping by the handicapper?

Mendip Express is still relatively exposed over fences and although they went a good clip in the Becher and he was passing beaten horse up the run in, he still posted a startling effort given how wayward he was early doors. He'll carry a big weight as well.

Barakilla on my short-list (of about 16).

There's 58 left in this. I'm waiting until final decs before I have another look - it's impossible to know what will be running at this stage.
Sound advice, only just spotted that Barakilla is entered up in the Plate over 2M5F on Thursday..

Last edited:
He's one I like for this as well Euro. I'm concerned about the Harry fry withdrawals over the weekend though. It wasn't just Rock On Ruby he withdrew.

Anyone else have any thoughts about Harry Fry having a few scope dirty. I expected him to have a pretty decent Festival but now I'm concerned about backing any of his.

It is a little worrying but then he only updated his own site yesterday giving a run down of each horses chance with lots of positive info as you would expect, watch the Supreme then make your mind up?

That's pretty much what I'd decided to do Eamonn. If Jollyallan runs a stinker I'll be avoiding them. If he's anywhere near the places I'll still be a backer of Mendip Express. I like his two in the Albert Bartlett particularly Thomas Brown so there's plenty of time to take a view.

Back