Cecil and jockeys

I hate to see horses abused and rules broken but as a backer of Twice Over, I think his actions probably secured him a place. That doesn't make it right at all and he probably got caught up in the moment of looking like winning the BC Classic on his first ever ride, he needn't be dragged over the coals over this.

I think the rules could be changed though so in future, jockeys who do this are placed behind other runners.

GS, how could a jockey be placed behind other runners? That would mean that the horse was demoted to last place! It wouldn't mean anything to a jockey who'd sliced his horse into 6th place - he'd get a riding fee and it wouldn't matter at all to him if the nag was demoted to 12th! Lose the riding fee, lose any % of prize money, by all means. Honest Tom (where he?) had the most draconian response: disqualify the horse for jockey misdemeanours. It wouldn't take but one or two such disquals before irate owners and inflamed trainers never used them again, which would send out, one might think, the appropriate 'message' to the others. If Squeally had lost third place for whacking TWICE OVER into next week, I imagine that would be his first and last ride in the BC, and he'd be confined to Sellers at Wolverhampton for the rest of his no doubt truncated career.

Last edited:
If Squeally had lost third place for whacking TWICE OVER into next week, I imagine that would be his first and last ride in the BC, and he'd be confined to Sellers at Wolverhampton for the rest of his no doubt truncated career.
His second and last ride perhaps, given he'd won on his debut ride with an excellent effort aboard Midday in the Filly & Mare Turf.

I thought Queally gave Twice Over an excellent ride in accordance with the rules.It would have been a career highlight for both the trainer and owner and I doubt they have any complaints.

GS, how could a jockey be placed behind other runners? That would mean that the horse was demoted to last place! It wouldn't mean anything to a jockey who'd sliced his horse into 6th place - he'd get a riding fee and it wouldn't matter at all to him if the nag was demoted to 12th! Lose the riding fee, lose any % of prize money, by all means. Honest Tom (where he?) had the most draconian response: disqualify the horse for jockey misdemeanours. It wouldn't take but one or two such disquals before irate owners and inflamed trainers never used them again, which would send out, one might think, the appropriate 'message' to the others. If Squeally had lost third place for whacking TWICE OVER into next week, I imagine that would be his first and last ride in the BC, and he'd be confined to Sellers at Wolverhampton for the rest of his no doubt truncated career.

In this instance, Queally has only hit the horse due to over excitement and letting the occasion get the better of him. He's not barbaric.

There's no reason why the horse couldn't be demoted out of the prize money if a jockey has misused the whip to give an unfair advantage.

In this instance, Queally has only hit the horse due to over excitement and letting the occasion get the better of him. He's not barbaric.

There's no reason why the horse couldn't be demoted out of the prize money if a jockey has misused the whip to give an unfair advantage.

I agree re Queally - generally this is not his practise.

I don't agree that an owner or trainer should be deprived of prize money through the actions of a jockey. Punish the jockey by all means as their actions are usually solely their responsibility, not the horse's, trainer or owner(s).

I also don't think Queally is usually the sort for using the whip with excessive frequency, but I think the authorities need to put in place guidelines for this kind of thing, especially as I said earlier, for Cheltenham.

It's only fair to point out that the Jockey Club has no jurisdiction over California and that different rules apply over there.

as much as I agree on all thats said here, he might only have been placed because of queally etc. and different rules etc., but in 30 years going to the races I have honestly not seen anything like the hitting queally dished out to twice over, both in number and force. that was sheer brutal. no jockey should even THINK of hitting his horse like this.

He does seem like a nice fella but was totally out of line - I think he may admit to it himself given a bit of time.

Cecil clearly doesn't have an issue with it though as he put Ahern up on plenty of his horses this season, and what he did to that horse at Lingfield roughly a year ago was much worse.

I don't even think he knew he was doing it crazy, I genuinely believe he got carried away in the moment of looking like winning the Classic on his first ever ride.

It's only fair to point out that the Jockey Club has no jurisdiction over California and that different rules apply over there.

The Jockey Club fortunately no longer have any jurisdiction at all !

More seriously, I think it would be a step too far for them to be able to hand out bans and fines for what happens abroad but I should hope that someone at least has had a word with him

Last edited:
Back