Champion Hurdle 2013

Utter dreamers, the pair of you. Of all the principals, Grandouet had most question-marks against his stamina. He would have been lucky to get up the hill.

HUrricane Fly wasn't the same horse in 2012 as he was in 2011 and 2013. Get over it and move on.

NH doesn't seem to have any questions about G's stamina. He's talking about the 2.5m race at Aintree for him.

agree with grasshopper. always going to be a question of what if but comments like "I'm now convinced Grandouet would have won" & "Would have won." are delusional.

you'd think he fell at the last three lengths clear & still on the snaff.

Also agree with Grassy. At the point at which Grandouet fell, Hurricane Fly looked as if he was booked for fifth behind ROR, Zarkandar, Countrywide Flame and Grandouet (who'd been up with the hot pace throughout). I'm inclined to think that Grandouet may well have gone the way of the other three ....

Grandouet had travelled like a winner 4 times before at Cheltenham, on 3 of them he didn't last home.
I'd suspect the reason Nicky's favouring the Aintree hurdle for him is the same as Sprinter Sacre - there aren't any top-end 2m races for him at the meeting.

Grandouet was weak as pi$$ as a 4 year old and that was the only reason he was beaten at Cheltenham in his first two attempts. On his return in Decemeber Overturn set a strong pace and in a true run race Grandouet won in a time 6 seconds faster than Baby mix had clocked on the same day. He flew up the hill winning by 4 lengths.

In this seasons International after along lay off and not fully fit he blew up turning for home. When Zarkandar and Rock on Ruby quickened a long way before the last Grandouet went from hacking all over them to struggling to go with them and had clearly blown up. Despite his lack of fitness he ran on strongly up the hill and actually reduced the margin between himself and Zarkandar. They were absolutely thrilled with that run and never gave the hill a second thought as it simply was not a concern.

To even hint the hill is a problem to Grandouet these days is complete nonsense..

I won't be drawn into a discussion on whether he'd have beaten Hurricane Fly or not as it's impossible to tell but you would have to think he would have beaten Zarkandar on 4 lbs better terms and 7lbs fitter then he was last December.

However I am surprised Nicky Henderson is thinking about Aintree for Grandouet. It's a very fast course and they go one helluva gallop round there which makes it more of a test of stamina. Sportinglife say he's going for the Liverpool Hurdle........The cleaner must have written that article.:lol:

The 2 1/2 miles of the Aintree Hurdle will be more Binocular's cup of tea than Grandouet's imo. As NH said yesterday he gets up the hill ok but you'd have to question his stamina over 2m4f.

Binocular has been crying out for a longer trip for quite some time they have absolutely no qualms about him staying he'll love every yard of it.

Such a shame Oscar Whisky will not be going but with Thousand Stars Zarkandar and the New One all likely to take part it should be some race.

Can't for the life of me understand why Nicky wants to run Grandouet if he wants to know if he can beat Hurricane Fly or not?

Winning the Aintree Hurdle wont tell him that and hard race could take the edge of him if he went to Ireland where he should be going.

If he ran him close in his beloved Ireland where he is near unbeatable I'm damn sure he'd have a great chance of beating him at Cheltenham next year but if he beat Thousand Stars that would only tell him he's as good as Oscar Whisky at 2m4f. What the heck has that got to do with winning a Champion Hurdle I have no idea.

Last edited:
It would nearly be quicker to get to Leopardstown than Doncaster for Nicholls, Fry, NH et al. Why the fuq won't they come over for the Christmas or Champion hurdles so we can have a broader panorama to judge these crucial questions?

It would nearly be quicker to get to Leopardstown than Doncaster for Nicholls, Fry, NH et al. Why the fuq won't they come over for the Christmas or Champion hurdles so we can have a broader panorama to judge these crucial questions?

Agreed. Lots of talk on this side of the water about "soft Grade 1s in Ireland", but if they're that soft then why do so few British trainers seem willing to contest them?

Beats the hell out of me why they don't want to send horses over for not just hurdle races but some of the great chases up for grabs.

Even moreso onthe flat. The thought of AOB sending out some one paced mule and picking up grade 1's by the handful and telling the world this horse can walk on water while the English trainers shrivel in fear and watch it happen is just nuts. AOB must love em for it.

The 2 1/2 miles of the Aintree Hurdle will be more Binocular's cup of tea than Grandouet's imo. As NH said yesterday he gets up the hill ok but you'd have to question his stamina over 2m4f.

Binocular has been crying out for a longer trip for quite some time they have absolutely no qualms about him staying he'll love every yard of it.
he ran in this race 2 years ago after missing the champion hurdle and disappointed.

Binocular was a patent non-stayer when he ran in the Aintree Hurdle two seasons ago, and whilst he may now get the trip with another couple of seasons under his belt, I can't see it myself.

He looks all over a two-miler to me; but one who has lost his speed due to age, and who was probably never quite as good in the first place, as many believed.

Binocular was a non-stayer as far back as the Supreme, and won his Champion Hurdle by virtue of outspeeding 3 horses who all needed further (sound familiar?).
If he wins an Aintree Hurdle, I'll walk it to Thailand.

Such a shame Oscar Whisky will not be going but with Thousand Stars Zarkandar and the New One all likely to take part it should be some race.
dai walters has said oscar whisky is fine now and going for his 3rd aintree hurdle.

Back