Champion Hurdle 2014

Interesting discussion above, but is oblivion to what happened in the 2008 period in the financial world and how it affected horse racing, Rich Ricci once explained in an interview with Lydia Hislop from RUK how he was with Mullins since 2006 but that everything fall apart in 2008 and most owners lost financial power thus the level of competition lacked for most part of 4-5 years. RR said only in the last couple of years it started to be pretty hard on the market and had to invest more and more as the owners recovered from the crisis. The lack of competition and financial power was seen in how a horse/s dominated their particular division(Big Bucks in stayers, Fly in Ire, etc.). This happened after WW2 and also after the great crisis 1929-1933 but back then the owners were mostly lords and wealthy enough people while the horse population wasn't that vast.

To continue The New One discussion from another thread here's the evidence to support how unlucky he was not winning that year's CH:

CH_1.png

CH_2.png

CH_3.png

CH_4.png

CH_5.png

He was badly hampered at halfway through the race, all jockeys talking about this event, including Ruby Walsh said you can't do that during a championship pace and expect to win. He came only 2 lengths and 3 quarters from winning after a damaging mid race collision which lost him the inside position, the momentum and at least 5 lengths. The race pace was so hard set by McManus frontrunner(and Our Conor in the first half of the race) that the overall time was a record one, 4 seconds faster than the previous record.

1. the gap ain't 5 lengths..even the parallax view doesn't tell you that..watch the video and compare with outside horse who is level with TNO at hurdle
2. it wasn't a very strong pace early..it was slightly less than even....i've got loads of past races over this trip and know all the pace calls
3. it was a fast overall time due to the ground being faster than norm..and being run to suit a fast overall time..ie..not too fast early..an even pace
4. Hurdle 3 isn't half way through the race.

apart from that..i agree entirely:D

would you agree though..if they went another 2 furlongs..TNO would have won?

he needs further Aughex..no matter how long we discuss this incident

What this tells me is that TNO had every chance at the top of the hill, couldn't quicken with them down the hill, and that his stamina kicked-in when they hit the rising ground. It's that simple.

Conspiracy-theorists/Guessers are not required to explain how they finished.

They should have stopped the race after two-out, if you ask me.

Our Conor? I remember him. Grand little horse. Exemplary juvenile. Tragically lost before anyone could say how good he could have been. Liked a good view of the Hurricane's rear-end.

would you agree though..if they went another 2 furlongs..TNO would have won?

Think even 1 furlong would've been enough( I don't think he's a thorough stayer though, I wouldn't put him in the WH, he even struggled to beat Diakali over 2m4f at Aintree, his best trip is around 2m like most Neptune horses). But again I would rather take the view of all jockeys that wnt through the analysis of this race, you can't do that at a championship pace, it doesn't matter lost 3-4-5 lngths or more, he lost his inside position and momentum, had to use extra energy mid race, had to go 3 wide on the back straight turn, and at the end only 3 lengths off the winner, he got to be considered unlucky if you're impartial..

Last edited:
What have you done Aughex :lol:

Ghost of Champion Hurdle Past

Just out of interest, who did you back in the race, Aughex?

MTOY, I thought he stayed really well past TNO in the Xmas Hurdle, I didn't thought TNO was unlucky at the last because MTOY stayed on like a train.. I didn't even thought Jezki was in contention as I backed him at the previous festival and he made a mistake at the last and I thought he wouldn't get away with that in the CH..

You do a grand job of mis-reading bad races.

MTOY is a hound who doesn't want go through with it, and won the Xmas Hurdle by default through poor jumping by TNO. MTOY simply ran out of room to lose that race.

As for the Champion Hurdle, you'll find the critical problem for TNO wasn't jumping the third, but when he was jumping three-out. He was only two lengths off Jezki by that stage, but he jumped-out to the right and quickly came off the bridle......at the same point everything with toe was quickening. Jumping frailties and a lack of a turn-of-foot is what got TNO beaten - not the interference with Our Conor, because he was right back in the race half-way down the hill.

not the interference with Our Conor, because he was right back in the race half-way down the hill.
but at what cost was he right back into contention? he lost the inside position, lost the rhythm and energy to recover those lengths.

MTOY is a hound who doesn't want go through with it won the Xmas Hurdle by default through poor jumping by TNO.
MTOY may not want to go through with it, but that day he stayed on past TNO who didn't lost anything at that last flight IMO.

Is the actual point of this argument that The New One is a really good horse and could out muscle Faugheen in the Christmas Hurdle?

Point please?

Last edited:
TNO had a clear run this year and still finished behind a (slightly below par) Jezki and the Fly. Sure he must have lost a length or so last year but not enough to count as an unlucky loser. Maybe in the same box as Oscar Whisky and, potentially, Arctic Fire in being unlucky that there's no 2m4f championship hurdle.

Take TNO out of this and let's say Jezki had the interference, do you think he still would have won?

good point. God knows how many times this has been gone over but the claims on here that interference has no effect on a horses running and momentum is about as weird a claim as I've seen in this forum made even worse by the pack of nodding dogs falling into line

he may or may not have won but has no one here ever watched a race where by a runner is heavioy hampered with the binoculars going down followed by a audible "fck"?

i mean ... Really????. No???

Last edited:
point was on the other thread, TNO is still the best 2 miler in England rated 167 at his best and I said if when they'll meet in February, Old Guard beats or gets close to him its a sign of OG improvement. People then said TNO couldn't win a CH, I made a point here that he was unlucky to not win the one in 2014 so we'll def. learn something about OG when he'll meet TNO.

There is no point really. You can blame Aughex for this :lol:

No point comparing different years archie unless you think he was the same horse. Different pace also.

Look it's clear he lacks gears. The fact remains he was hampered. That massively compromised his race, that there is no doubt.
But this is news gone.

Next.

good point. God knows how many times this has been gone over but the claims on here that interference has no effect on a horses running and momentum is about as weird a claim as I've seen in this forum made even worse by the pack of nodding dogs falling into line

he may or may not have won but has no one here ever watched a race where by a runner is heavioy hampered with the binoculars going down followed by a audible "fck"?

i mean ... Really????. No???

Tis staggering yep.

point was on the other thread, TNO is still the best 2 miler in England rated 167 at his best and I said if when they'll meet in February, Old Guard beats or gets close to him its a sign of OG improvement. People then said TNO couldn't win a CH, I made a point here that he was unlucky to not win the one in 2014 so we'll def. learn something about OG when he'll meet TNO.

Old Guard beating TNO will mean nout. Unless he wins a furlong.

Think even 1 furlong would've been enough( I don't think he's a thorough stayer though, I wouldn't put him in the WH, he even struggled to beat Diakali over 2m4f at Aintree, his best trip is around 2m like most Neptune horses). But again I would rather take the view of all jockeys that wnt through the analysis of this race, you can't do that at a championship pace, it doesn't matter lost 3-4-5 lngths or more, he lost his inside position and momentum, had to use extra energy mid race, had to go 3 wide on the back straight turn, and at the end only 3 lengths off the winner, he got to be considered unlucky if you're impartial..

Don't expect impartiality here . Expect a herd of muppets

Back