Champion Hurdle 2014

Old Guard beating TNO will mean nout. Unless he wins a furlong.

so an 157 beating(or coming close) to an 162-167 horse at level weights may mean nothing to you but for handicappers will mean OG continued his improvement.

Last edited:
so an 157 beating(or coming close) to an 162-167 horse at level weights may mean nothing to you but for handicappers will mean OG continued his improvement.

You can't say "handicappers" any more.

You have to say "challenged".

point was on the other thread, TNO is still the best 2 miler in England rated 167 at his best and I said if when they'll meet in February, Old Guard beats or gets close to him its a sign of OG improvement. People then said TNO couldn't win a CH, I made a point here that he was unlucky to not win the one in 2014 so we'll def. learn something about OG when he'll meet TNO.

Fair enough. I took a similar view on TNO last March and was disappointed. I still see one big run in him, where he'll exceed expectations, but probably not in the Champion Hurdle.

The last I saw he had a training setback. This is either code for 'he's a 3 miler and now we know it'...or 'we are pretending he's past it in anticipation he'll surprise a few in the Christmas Hurdle.'

I.E trainer talk. :)

Last edited:
sounds like long term losing... how can you seriously think that when an improving horse beats a higher rated one at level weights that will mean nothing...every piece of puzzle tells something.

Last edited:
sounds like long term losing... how can you seriously think that when an improving horse beats a higher rated one at level weights that will mean nothing...every piece of puzzle tells something.

I guess the fundamental difference between our approaches is that I discard information I consider to be erroneous, misleading or irrelevant, when I make up my mind.

Each to their own though.

Back