6. Glencove Marina D Casey
7. Harchibald P Carberry
8. Jazz Messenger N Madden
9. Macs Joy B Geraghty
10. Salford City R Power
11. Sizing Europe D Russell
12. Sublimity P A Carberry

Non Runner: Hardy Eustace [goes for Stayers]
All other horses deemed insufficently talented [or injured in case of Brave Inca and Iktitaf] to enter

Betting: 3/1 Harchibald 7/2 Sublimity 7/1 Macs Joy 9/1 Ebaziyan 10/1 Jazz Messenger 14/1 Sizing Europe, Aimatov 16/1 Al Eile, Glencove Marina 25/1 Catch Me, Clopf 33/1 Salford City

Gold Cup Field 2008
1. Denman S Thomas
2. Exotic Dancer A McCoy
3. Kauto Star R Walsh
4. Darkness S Leader

Wow. Harcibald travelled like a dream but Carberry was so good on him. Got to the front only after the last.

It could be an interesting race given that Harchibald's presumed main opposition (Sublimity and Mac's Joy) tend to be ridden in a similar style to him. I'd definitely want to be on Sublimity at this distance out as I'm not convinced that Cheltenham particularly suits the other 2.
I also agree that connections of Hardy Eustace must be tempted to switch back to 2 miles and would have thought that Katchit finishing 12 lengths in front of Clopf gives him more right to be in the field than that one. Presumably Clopf's nomination is to keep one of the moderators sweet.

I thought the two Mullins horses Ebaziyan and Glencove Marina showed plenty of promise today for the future. GM is a chaser though...I dont know why they are messing around over hurdles.

All other horses deemed insufficently talented

Suppose i shouldnt take the bait but is this is a sneer at Katchit?Who happend to finish in front way in front of Clopf.....

lol Not sensetive but was slightly baffled...now seem the theme of course

Yes very good...

I noticed yesterday afternoon that both Katchit and Harchibald were available at 9.8 on Betfair. Ok, I suppose Harchibald may be a little bit more delicate and that bit less likely to get to post. He might well throw a winning chance in the last three strides, but surely he'll be about 100yards clear of Katchit while he's doing so. Was the fighting fifth not a rather big clue that Harchibald has a better chance than Katchit to the point that Katchit has none and Harchibald has a very good one.

Wow. Harcibald travelled like a dream but Carberry was so good on him. Got to the front only after the last.

I reckon he got there too soon. Had he not jumped the last so well he would never have come off the bridle. The fact that he put in such a big springy jump at the last would lead me to believe he was nowhere even remotely near emptying out and could easily have been another 15l up the course with an appropriate target to chase.

I wonder if Carberry hadn't touched him would he have continued to saunter clear. i.e. did he stop because he hit the front or did he stop because he objected to Carberry asking him to go quicker.

Originally posted by Melendez@Dec 3 2007, 10:50 AM
I wonder if Carberry hadn't touched him would he have continued to saunter clear. i.e. did he stop because he hit the front or did he stop because he objected to Carberry asking him to go quicker.
Not sure he necessarily "stopped" Mel.. he's never going to find much for pressure from the last over two miles..

He would have won even if Carberry hadn't gone for him I reckon..

Pretty much impossible to stop him getting to the front when he did, as his hurdling was absolutely flawless the whole way round..

My "just in case" bet on Accordion Etoile at 750 on Betdaq might not be as mad as it first appeared.... :)

Back