Champion Hurdle how will it be run?

I thought you'd been so consumed by Brexit that you'd lost interest in the game.

No question I have a touch of the ennui about this season, Euro. Have found it very difficult to get interested this year, regardless of everything else that might have been getting in the way (Brexit included, the stupid fu*cking cu*nts)

It's nowhere near 22 Grade 1's........so depends what you call top-class. ;)

Flyingbolt only won 2 races at 3 miles yet he was rated the just 2 lbs inferior to Arkle because he beat the same horse in Height O'Fashion

That said Buvi needs to be winning this Champion Hurdle to be considered as good as the Fly.

The good thing is Nicky has really looked after him and this horse could end up doing what no other horse has and that's win a 4th CH if he can win this one.

Food for thought

Last edited:
I've done my first trawl of the field for this race.

I have to say, despite KA's mate's reservations, I have to suggest that Apple's Jade will need to be seriously below form for Buveur D'Air to beat her. In any other race I'd have her well odds-on.

I think what people are missing is Apples Jade only needs to be back to the form she was in when she won The Mares Hurdle then trounce the Royal Bond winner Airlie Beach by 14 lengths to do what she has been doing.

She's been beating horses who for the best part have been unfit, very moderate or have a different target than the races they have been taking her on in,

If you think Mares Hurdle form even comes close to Champion Hurdle for by all means back her.

Personally I think she's another Grand Crus ..looked great beating very little but when it comes to the big day the gloss comes off...so sad for those who fell for it

Last edited:
I think what people are missing is Apples Jade only needs to be back to the form she was in when she won The Mares Hurdle then trounce the Royal Bond winner Airlie Beach by 14 lengths to do what she has been doing.

She's been beating horses who for the best part have been unfit, very moderate or have a different target than the races they have been taking her on in,

As opposed to Buv?

Much the same although his form did get a bit of a boost from VDF taking the National Spirit

But the obvious answer been there done it not once but twice which is worth 10lbs in my book

That he has to give away 7lb of that to two or three genuine prospects is the potential problem; hats off to Buveur, I have underrated him before more than once but he keeps delivering. Tuesday will be his defining day .

This is a proper Champion Hurdle. I'd fall down on the side of Buveur D'air though.

She can only beat what's in front of her, but I'm not sure Apples Jade stuffing Supersundae over 2 miles having it her own way is all that. Buveur D'air is in a different league to Supersundae over two miles. She also has it to prove at Cheltenham as well. I know there were excuses for her last year, but there were for Buveur D'air too. The difference was he was still able to win a Champion Hurdle whereas Apples Jade was turned over in the Mares. I accept she's a better horse this year, but I expect Buveur D'air to be too, and he's the one that's been here and done it twice before. I genuinely think a fast run race, which it's sure to be, will see her set it up for Buveur D'air to collar her up the hill.

I genuinely don't know what to make of Laurina. This rain will help her, but I just can't get any kind of handle on how good she is. I can't fully discount her winning, but there are two reasons I can't back her. She doesn't to my eye jump well enough to win a Champion Hurdle, and I'm fairly sure it's Jared Sullivan that wants her here instead of the Mares and not Willie.
Not seeing that, at all; in fact, I've just backed BDA on the premise it isn't much of a race.
Unless she suddenly sprouts wings, AJ isn't a proper 2miler, Laurina might be, but is unproven at anything like this level, and Sharjah & Verdana Blue won't appreciate the likely soft ground.
BDA ought to win, and win cosily, but the jury will still be out on how good he really is, imo.

Last edited:
decs

Brain Power, Buveur d'Air, Espoir d'Allen, Global Citizen, Melon, Sharjah, Silver Streak, Apple's Jade, Laurina, Verdana Blue

I can't help thinking Apple's Jade will win by at least five lengths and maybe as much as ten if she's at her best.

The only question mark I have is down to KA's mate's analysis of her stride and the constant leg-changing. I'm hoping it was the faster ground that was behind that as every other aspect of her form this season stands out a mile.

I see Simon Rowlands agrees with me.

On the down side, he also agreed with me about Benny's Bridge yesterday :lol:

Last edited:
Back