Champion Hurdle how will it be run?

Melon is soft, and Verdana Blue succeeded where Melon did not.

Buveur is not worthy to join the ranks of triple champion hurdle winners, he wouldn't be close to them. The fact he's even a double winner overstates his level.

It's a view I've heard many times Art. Not one I share. It's a game of opinions and we all differ.

I hope those that haven't rated his Champion Hurdles will give him due credit if he wins his third though. I'm sure we can all agree that this is a good renewal and he deserves the accolades if he wins it.

Buveur D’Air has literally been operating at 80% fitness all season. Henderson peaks them for March. The man knows better than anyone how to train Champion Hurdlers. He’s already trained a 3 time winner of the race.

After Newcastle they only schooled him once before Kempton. He’s already had three schools since Sandown. Apples Jade jumps out right and changed leads 10+ times for no apparent reason at Leopardstown. That’ll cost her. Laurina jumps too big. That’ll cost her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He didn't peak him in March last year.....

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

I genuinely think a fast run race, which it's sure to be, will see her set it up for Buveur D'air to collar her up the hill.

AJ will not want for stamina, that's for sure. If the track doesn't inconvenience her she might just be too far in front of BDA at the last for his final flourish to overcome.

BDA is a good hurdler but one of the all-time greats?

Not on my figures.

He's so far the best around but he's the Celtic of Scottish football in the context of European football.

AJ will not want for stamina, that's for sure. If the track doesn't inconvenience her she might just be too far in front of BDA at the last for his final flourish to overcome.

BDA is a good hurdler but one of the all-time greats?

Not on my figures.

He's so far the best around but he's the Celtic of Scottish football in the context of European football.

He's not one that's going to win by a long way Maurice. He's a closer and a finisher so you'd need an exceptionally fast race to get a fast time for him. Apples Jade will give him that, and she's always more likely to put a better time in the book because of her running style. Which is also a style that has a habit of taking a lot out of horses and they can't do it too often in a season. She does clearly thrive on her racing though. I'd also add that Buveur D'air won't lack for stamina either.

I though Annie Power was an outstanding mare and better than Apple's Jade will ever be,

She was getting the mare's allowance when she beat MTOY 4.5 lengths and was hailed a superstar

Even if you think Apple's Jade is a bit better she's still got to go some to beat Buvi who without any allowance beat MTOY exactly the same distance as Annie.

You can bag him for last year but the horse was 100% and was so sick after the race he missed Aintree.

We know he acts on the course there is no proof Apples will in fact it's the opposite if anything.

I gotta stick with Buvi he's been there and done it and Nicky swears he's in better form this time round

He didn't peak him in March last year.....

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

He did but the horse was sick and didn’t give his true running. You’d swear he lost or something. Sign of a true champion Littlelad, win despite not being himself, he defend his title despite being sick. I think it’s well documented his next door neighbor We Have A Dream was very sick the day before the festival & Buv couldn’t go to Aintree to defend his hurdle crown there because he was so floored after the Champion win.

It's a view I've heard many times Art. Not one I share. It's a game of opinions and we all differ.

I hope those that haven't rated his Champion Hurdles will give him due credit if he wins his third though. I'm sure we can all agree that this is a good renewal and he deserves the accolades if he wins it.

Sure, I'll give you that if he wins again this year. And if he doesn't, I'll hope you concede he's not the top class hurdler some people are claiming. Doubles or quits in other words :). Let's hope we get that rare enough thing in racing, a decisive outcome and no excuses!

Sure, I'll give you that if he wins again this year. And if he doesn't, I'll hope you concede he's not the top class hurdler some people are claiming.

Shur he has only the Seven Grade 1 wins over hurdles to his name. That’s no where near top class.

I'm loving the blind bias Kauto it's mildly amusing! I do like how you make all the excuses for BVD last year but completely ignore the fact the AJ was in season last year which is a far more valid reason for underperforming.

Dismissing fishwives crabbing your Champion Hurdle horse is some of the best sport you can have. I like Kauto's gold-plated faith in Boov - completely admirable, imo. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm loving the blind bias Kauto it's mildly amusing! I do like how you make all the excuses for BVD last year but completely ignore the fact the AJ was in season last year which is a far more valid reason for underperforming.

Ah shur I’m doing this for 3 years here now BOS. Well used to it. Will probably be doing it next year too when he’s going for 4.

I did predict here he’d win a few more after his first & got laughed at.

Ah shur I’m doing this for 3 years here now BOS. Well used to it. Will probably be doing it next year too when he’s going for 4.

I did predict here he’d win a few more after his first & got laughed at.

I was beating the same drum 're the Fly so I know exactly where you are coming from [emoji1787]

I wouldn’t know Grass. He’s never lost it. ;)

:lol:

Fair play.

Shame injury robbed The Fly of two on the bounce, when the mutt Binocular (despatched with gusto several weeks later at Punchestown) fluked his Champion Hurdle.

And just as much a shame that injury robbed The Fly the year before that, when the mutt Go Native (despatched with gusto several weeks prior at Leopardstown) fluked his Supreme Novices.

Your bar is still set too low. ;) :D

Back in the parish for 2 minutes and I'm still going on about The Fly.

I am the Keeper of the Flame, and all impostors will be routed.

My last words on the Truly Great One.

Circumstances have conspired against me, simmo.............will not even make Cheltenham this year (I could puke, natch).............but the candle still flickers, and has long been the plan to get involved again in the run-up to the Festival.

I have obviously been able to make plenty of time for shagging sheep, during my enforced hiatus.

Last edited:
Circumstances have conspired against me, simmo.............will not even make Cheltenham this year (I could puke, natch).............but the candle still flickers, and has long been the plan to get involved again in the run-up to the Festival.

I have obviously been able to make plenty of time for shagging sheep, during my enforced hiatus.

Good to see you back mate.

Back