Champion Stakes

Guest_

At the Start
New Approach confirmed a certain runner, even though the ground will probably ride pretty fast come Saturday.

Any word yet on Phoenix Tower? O'Brien mentioned Hebridean as their likely runner, but it would be hard to see him figure. Twice Over and Traffic Guard...anything else likely to be of interest or will the Dewhurst be the highlight of the day yet again?

I thought they said it wasn't too serious when they announced it ... i thought he was being retired on merit as he was missing the Champion Stakes.

It's beginning to cut up now.

Twice Over
New Approach
Hebridean
Famous Name
Full Of Gold
Russian Cross
Pipedreamer
Upton Grey
Linngari
Traffic Guard
City Leader
Staying On.

New Approach if anywhere near his best will surely land this. The Arc and Breeders Cup are really hurting this event.

Interesting to see Upton Grey in there. Bolger gone back to the opinion after Newmarket and Leopardstown that he wants a pacemaker?

Russian Cross had the same last 2 race prep for the Champion Stakes as last years winner Literato.

Powerscourt, where did you find the entries for the Champion Stakes from please ?

I just listed the names from this report in Sporting life this morning.

Vodafone Derby hero New Approach and Dermot Weld's Famous Name head the Irish challenge for Saturday's Emirates Airline Champion Stakes at Newmarket.
The pair figure among the 12 entries at the five-day stage for the Group One showpiece over 10 furlongs.
With Aidan O'Brien planning towards the Breeders' Cup with middle-distance stars such as Duke Of Marmalade, Hebridean is the sole entry for the Ballydoyle maestro.
Though Henry Cecil will not be represented by the retired Phoenix Tower, he could run Prix Eugene Adam winner Twice Over.
Full Of Gold and Russian Cross could make the trip from France.
John Gosden has two entries in Pipedreamer and Upton Grey, while the field is completed by Linngari, Traffic Guard, City Leader and Staying On.

I thought they said it wasn't too serious when they announced it ... i thought he was being retired on merit as he was missing the Champion Stakes.

It's beginning to cut up now.

PT has had alot of problems in his career and done enough to be a stallion. Why risk bringing him back and killing him !!

Twice Over I would say will be partnered by Dettori, given he on Saturday and is in to work him tomorrow.

Chris,

As I said after that post, I was under the impression from earlier reports the injury was a minor one - one that would cause him to only miss the Champion Stakes.

As much as he is a good horse, I'm unconvinced he should be a stallion.

Russian Cross has been all the rage today....with New Approach very easy. The ground is likely to be very fast come Saturday.

Pretty disappointed I only got a few buttons on at 12/1 at the weekend, should have backed my opinion up with substantially more cash. I think he'll go off about 100/30-7/2 by Saturday once the "French have won the last 2 runnings" stats have been bounded about. Wouldn't be surprised if Segal tips him either.

While I would respect Fabre, his defeat last time out had not excuses and while this does not look the strongest of contests he has plenty to prove at the prices now.

No excuses for his defeat last time? You have to be kidding me. They went a very strong pace by French standards and to the eye, I'd be convinced it was too quick. Russian Cross was always up with it whilst the first and third were held up a good 12+ lengths off it. Given the form the third showed in the Prix Dollar, it could be that the last run has been rather underrated. I could see him finishing in the 3 if only reproducing what he showed there, never mind the extra I think he was value for. He was a knocking bet at 6 or 7/1 and is still the only thing I'd even consider backing at 5's.

Agree with David, the form has worked out well, the time was impressive and Fabre won't have supplemented him for a day out at Newmarket.

I wonder whether a hard season will start to show on New Approach too. I think he beat a bunch of trees in the Irish Champion and he was put in his place in the Juddmonte. This combined with the fact that recent Derby winners have an poor post Derby record make Russian Cross a decent bet. The other runners are all bridesmaids and I can't see that trend changing.

Back