Champion Stakes

No excuses for his defeat last time? You have to be kidding me. They went a very strong pace by French standards and to the eye, I'd be convinced it was too quick. Russian Cross was always up with it whilst the first and third were held up a good 12+ lengths off it. Given the form the third showed in the Prix Dollar, it could be that the last run has been rather underrated. I could see him finishing in the 3 if only reproducing what he showed there, never mind the extra I think he was value for. He was a knocking bet at 6 or 7/1 and is still the only thing I'd even consider backing at 5's.

We will see, it was a strong pace but a poor race imo and his previous defeat of City Leader by around 2 lengths would not have me rushing to back him.

I think New Approach is a deserving favourite and we are in danger of completely ruling him out. If I was to have a bet though I would be looking at Linngari or Traffic Guard.

No-one is suggesting that New Approach isn't a deserving favourite. It's just that even money pokes that don't settle on ground faster than ideal at the end of a hard season aren't my idea of sound bets.

Couldnt go near NA at the prices. Even Pipedreamer is 3lbs better off for a length and a half...and is 8/1

Maybe its a silly prejudice but the more nervy a horse the less inclined i am to believe that he/she will hold his/her form over a long period and there are definately signs that NA is going slightly backwards. Bolger is apparently bullish...but what does that mean?

Hes been a great horse to wtach this year and there is part of me taht hopes he doesnt flop badly on Saturday...but we know all about this race

LTO Russian Cross had to give 4lbs to the winner Never On Sunday, also i think he was taken to the lead to far from home.
When he beat City Leader , he was held up for a late run and showed a good turn of foot.
Yes i am hoping Russian Cross wins the Champion Stakes.

I rate Russian Cross for his last well clear of New Approach in any race this season with the exception to the Derby.

Traffic Guard ew

I've done that as well; I do think he is still improving.

Re the ground we had quite a lot of rain earlier in the week but none for the last two days. There are very heavy dews around lately up here though, so I don't think there will be any sting in the ground

Off there in a mo with camera - it's a lovely sunny day :)

New Approach to win and put up a much improved showing from Leopardstown. I think Linngari will run a big race.

Given Gosden's form recently I think Pipedreamer has as good a shot as anything off his little rest.

I'm not New Approach's biggest fan and this is the type of race where I'd like to a back the French horse. However I just expect the Bolger horse to get the job done.

I had one of my biggest each-way bets ever on Russian Cross but credit to New Approach. I doubted him after the Derby and Irish Champion and questioned how good he was but like Euro says, a true pace over 1m2f-1m4f and he's top top class.

Deffo. Can`t help wondering what would have happened if he`d run in the Arc. I don`t think he`d have won but it would have been a very close call.

Last edited:
Back