Champions Day

Thanks guys. He's a bit Yampy but he's got the job done today. Big run from Donnacha as well from a bad draw. Master of the world in fairness to him has also run a solid race after I completely berated the beast.

Best of luck for the rest of the day ;)

Very diplomatic Danny ha. :) Good luck with yours.
BTW, I'd urge you's to look left-field in the fillies and mares with Beautiful Romance, I can see her running a big race. She's so lightly raced and obviously has ability.

I feel the main contenders have all been on the go too long, literally all season (apart from Tapestry who I don't fancy anyway), and a fresh pair of legs could land the spoils, hence why I like Beautiful Romance (put a line through her last run at Longchamp).
She can put a big effort in tomorrow.

Fair shout that was Marble 3rd at 20's and I'd assume you'd have got a bigger price early so that's a cracking effort.

oh yes..they went fast..they also went fast in simple verse's race..that suits the stayer..ie simple verse..and Jack Hobbs was suited in his race being up there

i can't really have it that in a 10f strongly run race..it doesn't suit a 12f hoss up with it..its bloody ideal

there are no excuses pace wise for JH..they played into his hands..he just met a better 10f hoss on the day

imo

remember when New approach won this?..12f hoss on sharp end of a suicidal 10 pace..peed in

that was always on the cards in the fillies race though and it was a real bet of the day. Pleased too because the slagging of the leger is very very tiresome

New Approach had nothing to beat and was more of a 10f animal who stayed 12f than Jack Hobbs. He'd have won an average Guineas for example. And the pace would have suited JH today if he'd been held up, he was just a bit too close up.

Hold my hands up re Simple Verse, I do have an aversion to the Leger and concede she's a good class filly.

Ironically as someone who has disparaged all flat racing not in the 7f-12f bracket the highlight was the sprint.

Last edited:
Enjoyable day at Ascot.
Nice to see the old boy Cesare showing.
Top Notch has a fan club it's safe to say.

Muhaarar stole the show for me. Different league.
Fascinating Champion. Good horse no doubt. Found run another cracking race.
No hiding place with Arabian Queen in the race.
Solow likely winner won easily. Gleneagles disappointing though no surprise he was beaten.

Last edited:
Not sure I would agree with that tiggers. In hindsight he would maybe wish he was a length or two handier but the pace was strong. Off a slow pace then yes a case to answer. He probably thought he had Jack Hobbs to beat which he did. Fascinating Rock is pretty smart and fancied him to run well myself. Found wasn't beaten by a mug. Granted Moore may feel if a length or two handier he could have gone close. But still debatable whether she would have won. The winner was strong at the finish.

New Approach had nothing to beat and was more of a 10f animal who stayed 12f than Jack Hobbs. He'd have won an average Guineas for example. And the pace would have suited JH today if he'd been held up, he was just a bit too close up.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. They know he's a 12f horse, so couldn't afford to hang about at the back.

"Jack Hobbs ran a great race today. You are forced to commit from that draw and we have had to use him quite a lot early, which would not be the normal plan. You will pay the price at the other end and that is what happened". John Gosden.

Last edited:
Virtual non trier in my opinion-no reason not to go to America after that.

Gleneagles was given such a hard race, you'd have to think he sorely needed the outing and wouldn't have won on any ground. Different proposition entirely for the BC.

Twilight son is a good horse EC, lets hope they both stay in training.

I'd still take Strath Burn to turn him over next season. Near pulled up at the furlong marker, and unsurprisingly reported lame afterwards.

Last edited:
Surprised they ran Gleneagles on the ground especially with there being only a fortnight to the Breeders Cup. Wouldn't fancy any horse there who ran at Ascot.
Then again, why they didn't run in the Sussex remains a mystery.

Back