Champions Day

He seems to be using the 2lb to one length scale which for 10f run in a bog seems exaggerated .

Frankel

i go at the moment between 130-132
very impressive last saturday

the field was not very strong and some didnt act in the conditions but it Was very impressive how he finished the last furlong.

He was 'impressive' in the last furlong because he quickened off a none too generous pace, and got first run on both 2nd & 3rd {with little of any consequence behind them}. Small wonder that both were actually gaining ground in the closing stages.
This "fastest final furlong of the day" won't wash either, as every other race (bar Hydrangea's) was run at almost a flat out gallop from the getgo.
Though it was the only 10f race of the day, the relative time compares none too favourably with the handicap afterwards, either - considering the supposed class gulf.
Yes, he's very good horse, and he might improve further - but he'll need to, to even live up to his questionable new rating.

different pace, different course
and not a normal hcp, very likely to be full of group horses

Hope so. I did Greenside who came ninth (Pricewise fancied him too). I reckon he does actually need firmer ground.

Hopefully find him in The Lincoln early next season.

Last edited:
Gabriel is being geared up for another crack at the lincoln...4th this year..He's already been dropped 3lb to 105 but probably needs to come down another 2lbs

Last edited:
Where do you get these ideas from Suny......it's like you just make up things to back up a weak argument

12 of those that ran will be aged between 6 and 9 next season and had their day in the sun.

6 will be 5 year 3 of those already tried there hands in Group race 2 failed miserably and one was geded afterwards

The Hannon horse ran well behind Lightning Spear without troubling the may well improve next season but that is 1 from 19 the winner being the exception

Last edited:
Saturday's handiap was a good race run at a solid pace. Cracksman's wasn't - fastest final furlongs are rarely achieved off a strong pace throughout, nor would he have been able to quicken clear turning in, in such a scenario.
The OH has rated their respective performances as 107 and 130 - one of them is wrong, and it's quite clear to my eyes which.

Gabriel is being geared up for another crack at the lincoln...4th this year..He's already been dropped 3lb to 105 but probably needs to come down another 2lbs

Greenside's record first time out is 7112, which isn't bad. If Henry Candy would just have the audacity to send Greenside up North to Donny, not only would I travel down to The Lincoln but Greenside would run well. Point taken about Gabriel anyways, Tan.

Last edited:
Saturday's handiap was a good race run at a solid pace. Cracksman's wasn't - fastest final furlongs are rarely achieved off a strong pace throughout, nor would he have been able to quicken clear turning in, in such a scenario.
The OH has rated their respective performances as 107 and 130 - one of them is wrong, and it's quite clear to my eyes which.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Not seeing that, at all, Luke.
In their respective blogs, both the OH and Timeform (SR) have used Cracksman's finishing speed to elevate his rating, yet neither appears to have considered why it was so. Comparing times of races of similar distance against Standard is also a valid way of evaluating different class races, which both have used frequently in the past, but seem to have conveniently brushed aside, in this instance.

Different distance,different course -personally I thought it was amazing how the winner of the handicap killed the race but it isn't necessarily a reason to denigrate Cracksman.

Back