Cheltenham 2020 / 2021

Re Cross Country, quote by Ben Hastie, Head Groundsman

"We also had some schoolers last week and Ben Pauling brought in Le Brueil, who won the four-miler a couple of seasons ago. The lads were blown away by how he jumped."

Heard it described as electric in other quarters as well.

Re Cross Country, quote by Ben Hastie, Head Groundsman

"We also had some schoolers last week and Ben Pauling brought in Le Brueil, who won the four-miler a couple of seasons ago. The lads were blown away by how he jumped."

Heard it described as electric in other quarters as well.

Great. Fcuk all use to my Grand National bets though :lol:

I will be pleased though if he does at some point show his current form to be all wrong but, as I say, too late for the National as he'll never make the cut now.

(Is there any way I could nobble all modes of transport out of Ireland in the lead up to Aintree.? That way he might get in.)

Blue Lord all blue on oddschecker for the county hurdle on Friday.

I've backed him for the supreme, for which the final dec's are tomorrow, but I'm not that confident Willie Mullins will declare him now.

Surely he'd be a worthy fav if he did show in the county?

Last edited:
Final decs aren’t out yet, but by my guess the Supreme field could be only 7, the Arkle just the 4/5.

So those thinking you’ll get 6 places in the Supreme are crazy :lol:

Last edited:
Blue Lord all blue on oddschecker for the county hurdle on Friday.

I've backed him for the supreme, for which the final dec's are tomorrow, but I'm not that confident Willie Mullins will declare him now.

Surely he'd be a worthy fav if he did show in the county?

sounds like he's going Supreme

Bob Olinger now as short as 5/1 for the Supreme, yet he's never won a race at less than 2m2f. Be interesting to see if he's declared in a few minutes. It will sink an armada of Ballymore bets if he is.

Last edited:
It's been plenty dry with a strong wind in the main. So it's drying out very fast. The rain has been intermittent and was only ever going to be quantities that the track could more than handle.

Without that bit of watering, I suspect they feared it would get too firm as next week goes on. I don't believe we'll see too much, if any, yellow on that map next week. Will be good to soft edging towards good in places as the week progresses.

All the 'Yellow' gone already from New and Old Course - just a small bit of soft left on parts of the CC.
Looking like 4mm rain this evening - but then very little thereafter.
Warm, Sunny and windy forecast next few days.

Still confident that Claisse's biggest challenge will be keeping it from getting to firm/quick.

Really surprised Jonjo is running his Betfair winner in the Supreme.......I am laying him to be unplaced (2 places at 2/1) He won the Betfair off 133 which entitles him to finish nearer last than first...but Mr Hickey is the boss its his horse but if it were up to Jonjo he'd regard this as a waste of time and money IMO

Last edited:
Can't believe they had 10mm overnight. That's way more than was in any forecast!
Today looks completely dry on all forecasts with decent temperatures, wind and a bit of sunshine.
Be interesting to see what it can get back to, Good - Soft wise, before the first race tomorrow.

Last nights rain a huge positive for both Supreme and CH favs

At least, they won't be watering and, with a day and a half to the off, ground has a chance of drying to borderline g/s.
If it all runs to form, they'll water the New Course tomorrow night.

The going at Cheltenham is now soft, good to soft in places following 10mm of overnight rain.

A mainly dry week is now forecast with both the Old Course, used on the first two days, and the New Course which comes into use on Thursday and Friday, are described the same following the rain.

Clerk of the course Simon Claisse said at 8.30am on Monday: “It was unexpected, yes. No forecast I’d seen suggested more than one or two millimetres last night, and we ended up with just over 10.

“We’ve now gone soft, good to soft in places on all the courses.

“We’re not forecast particularly warm weather – although having said that, the forecast temperatures have gone up a little during the week to what they were earlier.

“We’ll just have to see how things pan out (whether any watering will take place later in the week). It’s too early to speculate.”

Back