Cheltenham Ante Post Competition 2012-13

Grey

Senior Jockey
This year's competition will start on Monday week, 29 October. Roddy and Grassy are putting up the prizes and New Approach will do the scoring once more.

The main prize of £150 will be for the person whose ante post bets on the Festival make the most profit. The second prize of £50 will for the portfolio of bets with the highest notional value at the end of February, in other words the portfolio of bets which have shortened the most in price since being placed.

We'll set up a separate thread for the November selections closer to the launch date.

Competition Rules

1. The competition will open for entries on Monday 29 October and close on Thu 28 Feb. New entrants will be accepted at any time between these dates.

2. Two prizes will be awarded, one of £150 to the person whose bets generate the most winnings, and one of £50 to the person whose portfolio has the highest notional value on 28 Feb.

3. Participants will have a separate bank for each month of the competition as follows:

November (29/10 to 30/11) - £1000
December - £1000
January - £1000
February (1/2 to 25/2) - £2000

4. The bank for each month can only be used during the month to which it refers.

5. Bets can be placed on the ante post market for any race at the Cheltenham Festival with any bookmaker displayed on oddschecker.com

6. Only single or each way bets will be accepted; multiple and other types of bet are excluded.

7. The minimum bet size is 10% of the monthly bank, i.e. £100/£50ew in November, December and January and £200/£100ew in February.

8. The maximum amount allowed on any one horse in any one race is £1,500.

9. There is no limit on the number of horses that can be backed, but only ten will count for scoring purposes.

10. Participants can indicate on or before the cut-off date of 28 Feb which horses they want to include in their final portfolio, otherwise the ten most recently selected will be chosen by default.

11. If a horse is backed for more than one race, each will count as a separate "horse" for the purposes of rules 9, 10 and 13.

12. The winner of the main prize will be the person whose final portfolio of bets generates the highest winnings. Bets will be settled according to normal ante post rules, but only the winnings will be counted.

13. The secondary prize will go to the portfolio which on 26 Feb which has the highest 'notional value'. This is the total sum one would need to wager, taking the best available odds on 26 Feb, to achieve the same potential winnings of each of the bets in the portfolio. (In simpler terms, bets on horses whose odds shorten gain value, while bets on drifters lose value).

14. The organisers will have the right to clarify, modify or add to the rules as they deem appropriate.

Yesterday's meeting at Kempton used, in the eyes of many, to mark the moment when the Jumps season took over from the Flat. It's lower key these days and doesn't serve that purpose anymore, but you can take your bearings instead from the starting date of this competition, which is now open for business.

Post your selections here.

You state in the rules that the competition does not open until 29th October. This constant tinkering with the rules is nothing short of a shambles....we will not not stand for being treated with such utter contempt at the whimsy of Brussells....GREY OUT!!!:p:p

You're quite right, we don't start till next Monday.

And you are quite right about another thing, my contempt for you is indeed utter.

My humblest apologies to the rest of you.

This comp starts tomorrow so could someone maybe make this thread a sticky please.

jft2005, I've put your entry on the spreadsheet just now - I doubt if Peddlers Cross will shorten up overnight.

Simonsig - Arkle - 400 win 7/2 Corals

Grandouet - Champion Hurdle - 300 win 12/1 general

Sanctuaire - Queen Mother - 300 win 8/1 general

November

World Hurdle Big Bucks £600 Win at 6/4 (Stan James)

Supreme Novice Sizing Rio £50 EW at 25/1 (Stan James)

Gold Cup The Giant Bolster £150 EW at 25/1 (Ladbrokes)

I'll post a mid month update and a fuller table etc at the end of the month.

Good luck everyone

500 e/w Alderwood Arkle Challenge Trophy 20/1 generally available

Last edited:
500 Win Minsk - Supreme Novices Hurdle 20/1
500 Win Last Instalment - Gold Cup 25/1

Both freely available -

Last edited:
Back