Cheltenham Ante Post Competition

Ok, here's an attempt at detailed rules. Perhaps a mod would start a sticky thread, Cheltenham Ante Post Competition - October Entries, and put them at the top with a suitable introduction?

1. The competition will open for entries on Monday 10 October and close on Sat 25 Feb. New entrants will be accepted at any time between these dates.

2. Two prizes will be awarded, one of £150 to the person whose bets generate the most winnings, and one of £50 to the person whose portfolio has the highest notional value on 26 Feb.

3. Participants will have a separate bank for each month of the competition as follows:

October (7/10 to to 31/10) - £500
November - £500
December - £1000
January - £1000
February (1/2 to 25/2) - £2000

4. The bank for each month can only be used during the month to which it refers.

5. Bets can be placed on the ante post market for any race at the Cheltenham Festival displayed on oddschecker.com

6. Only single or each way bets will be accepted; multiple and other types of bet are excluded.

7. The minimum bet size is 10% of the monthly bank, i.e. £50/£25ew in October and November, £100/£50ew in December and January and £200/£100ew in February.

8. The maximum amount allowed on any one horse in any one race is £1,500.

9. There is no limit on the number of horses that can be backed, but only ten will count for scoring purposes.

10. Participants can indicate on or before the cut-off date of 25 Feb which horses they want to include in their final portfolio, otherwise the ten most recently selected will be chosen by default.

11. If a horse is backed for more than one race, each will count as a separate "horse" for the purposes of rules 9, 10 and 13.

12. The winner of the main prize will be the person whose final portfolio of bets generates the highest winnings. Bets will be settled according to normal ante post rules, but only the winnings will be counted.

13. The secondary prize will go to the portfolio which on 26 Feb which has the highest 'notional value'. This is the total sum one would need to wager, taking the best available odds on 26 Feb, to achieve the same potential winnings of each of the bets in the portfolio. (In simpler terms, bets on horses whose odds shorten gain value, while bets on drifters lose value).

14. The organisers will have the right to clarify, modify or add to the rules as they deem appropriate.

Last edited:
I think one rules needs amending because I've got a horne for some 16/1 Cue Card for the Arkle. Can I have £312.50 @ 16/1? I'll help with the scoring. I reckon I could adjust my legendary spreadsheet to make it a piece of piss.

Hey, no charging the tapes there! Take a few more turns and wait till Monday for your bet.

Thanks for the offer of help with the scoring. New Approach has also volunteered, we should exchange e-mail addresses by PM. One thing we could usefully discuss is the best way for entries to be submitted.

Right. Sent an example of a file I think you could use. Let me know if you want me to finish it or if you're going your own way.

I don't use one. I now you use a system where you put any returns into the Mark Cavendish SPOTY jam jar.

Back