Cheltenham Day 3

Soft lead ; he did similar in January , full credit to Harry , showing his worth as a jockey yet again.
This is the new course; they usually come back so the lads underestimated his form.
Great to see Sparky May get a Festival winner and hats off to runner up.
Balance is good too.

Johnny having a good time at the punters expense is why a detest betting in these big handicaps.....you could bet 10 horses and still not have one in the first 3.

Tony Martin had a torrid few years when his water supply was contaminated after building new stables.
He lost a shed load of good owners .
Credit to these boys for sticking with him.
As Ted said " Tony would do anything for you but he would do you as quick !"

Don’t understand the tactics on Mighty Potter.
**** was he dropped in for? Let him bowl out in front.
Im fuming

Not the greatest day for Davy Russell or Paul Townend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember Rory Delargy saying something re horses stepping up in trip I totally agree with.
"If you think a horse will get the trip the worst thing you can do is hold him up out the back"

Appreciate it has run his best races doing it the Denman way....always up there and using him big powerful frame to run others into the ground.

So for some reason best known to themsleves they decide to ride him like he's Dancing Brave and ended up witha Dancing Brace Derby results only worse.

Paul Townend did nothing wrong producing the horse at the right time if he was that type of horse but they just stupidly got the tactics very wrong IMO He's better than that

Last edited:
I remember Rory Delargy saying something re horses stepping up in trip I totally agree with.
"If you think a horse will get the trip the worst thing you can do is hold him up out the back"

Appreciate it has run his best races doing it the Denman way....always up there and using him big powerful frame to run others into the ground.

So for some reason best known to themsleves they decide to ride him like he's Dancing Brave and ended up witha Dancing Brace Derby results only worse.

Paul Townend did nothing wrong producing the horse at the right time if he was that type of horse but they just stupidly got the tactics very wrong IMO He's better than that

For all the quality of the winners so far, and all deserved, I think the quality of rides on the ones who didn't win is asking some questions.

And I mean that comparing it to other Cheltenhams. The jockeys, in general, have not been at their best.

Last edited:
And to add to that previous statement Shishkin was obviously hampered from the start from being pulled back so much. If that was a longer odds horse you'd recognise what you had planned isn't working with the horse on the day and change it up. But because Shiskin is evens Nico stubbornly sticks to the plan.

I know Shishkin wasn’t travelling as well as the winner but he still ran a blinder to finish second considering that mistake which would have stopped most horses.

Nice run by Hitman (annoyingly for me as kept French Dynamite out of the places)

I am sick of backing Envoi Allen and he goes and wins and fooks up my accie.:D

I am convinced Shishkin didn't really want to know today.
The minute they jumped off Nico had to bustle him up to get going and his lack of conscentraion was terrible.

He never seemed to a get a fence right all the way round and kept getting
in too close them causing him to produce slow jumps compared to him at his best.

Then when Nico gets really stuck in and he looks like he still might win he almost catapults Nico out the saddle.

Not a great day for Shishkin

Last edited:
I kept the faith with Envoi and stuck him in an 20p ew patent with Good Time Jonny...mind you I was in such poor humour after a completely blank day yesterday, at least I am smiling again and I needn’t kick the dog anymore...:lol:

I am sick of backing Envoi Allen and he goes and wins and fooks up my accie.:D

I am convinced Shishkin didn't really want to know today.
The minute they jumped off Nico had to bustle him up to get going and his lack of conscentraion was terrible.

He never seemed to a get a fence right all the way round and kept getting
in too close them causing him to produce slow jumps compared to him at his best.

Then when Nico gets really stuck in and he looks like he still might win he almost catapults Nico out the saddle.

Not a great day for Shishkin
Agree;it looked like he was feeling Ascot,to me.

Congratulations to Sire du Berlais and connections but slightly disappointed that the younger horses couldn’t get in a blow. Interrupted preparation told for Blazing Khhal who looked to be coming there strongly but just couldn’t go through with it

Back