Cheltenham Festival 2012: DAY 1

I rarely bet at odds on but Quevega at 4/7 is almost value. She has 20+ pounds on everything. Not bad as 4/7 shots go...

Every year with hindsight I say she was the bet of the meeting. I had a cowardly bet on her to have a couple of free bets on the last. Great mare.

Bookies couldn't have come off better than punters today, surely?

o.k the hurricane got beat but with two strong favs going in and other well backed horses doing the business they must have lost a few quid.

If I was one of them and broke even today I'd settle for that result.

Last edited:
Staying at Turf Legends just got back. Shame about AlFerof but Sprinter is some horse. My suggestion for an outsider very nearly delivered a 20/1 win. But the honours go to Hunt Ball and Balthazar King. How good is Hunt Ball. Very impressive..

o.k the hurricane got beat but with two strong favs going in and other well backed horses doing the business they must have lost a few quid.

Books ahead on the day I would imagine and maybe even well ahead....the Hurricane result was monstrous for them...

Would broadly agree with this, and with the fastest ground festival we've had for a while, could well prove a bloodbath for the layers.
Wouldn't help the Irish, either, as today's results seem to indicate.

Imo I reckon with 19 runners in the supreme, (no clear cut jolly), and a similiar story in the other big handicaps, (this meaning there would have been a wide spread of cash on lots of different horses in those races), that this is where they have have made a bob or two (apart from HF getting beaten).

That said, Alfie Sherrin and Hunt Ball must have been bad results (in precisely those races), Balthazar King couldn't have been much better, so even in the races they took plenty of money on, these horses still clobbered them?

Not rocket science but it must have been close to 50/50 today or at worst 60/40 in their favour.

Last edited:
I was sitting here like the king in his counting horse thinking what a great day when Marble PM's me and suggested I back Balitizar King. I hadn't even looked at the race and thought why the hell not as he has pointed a few good winners recently' So I stuck *** on him at 13.5 on the machine...Thanks millions Marble you are the man:)

Back