Cheltenham Festival: Friday Races

Grasshopper

Senior Jockey
Sir Gino is a legit favourite for the Triumph, but he is short enough and the yard form is a bit inconclusive at the moment - through granted it may be a different story in ten days time. Regardless, he isn't a backable price, and I've gone with the Spring Juvenile form and backed Bunting each-way at 14's. I thought he travelled great at Leopardstown before getting just a touch out-paced turning in, and staying on strongly in the straight; not losing any more ground to Kargese. The stronger stamina test of the Triumph will hopefully be right up his street, and the only negative I can think of is that Ruby Walsh tipped him each-way on the Paddy Power preview tonight!

JP's runners always have to be respected in Festival handicaps, and whilst he has a couple shorter in the betting for the County, I've backed Risk Belle at 16's, with a smaller bet on the exchange at 26. I think she would probably have won the Boodles last season if she'd hit the front a littler later than she did, and her two runs this season likely weren't under ideal conditions, and have the sniffs of mark-maintenance to me. As it is, she'll runs from a mark only 1lbs higher than her Irish rating. She's also been quite battled hardened since last year's Festival - hopefully to ready her for a top-end handicap - and the end-to-end gallop should play to her strengths.

I was on High Class Hero reasonably early for the Bartlett (double-figure price, though nothing too fancy), but I've been going a bit cool on his chances of late, and wanted another one running for me. To that end, I've backed Ben Pauling's The Jukebox Man (34 on machine), who I thought ran a smashing trial for this when chasing home Captain Teague in the Challow, where all he did was stay on. He isn't an absolute guaranteed stayer at 3m, though given he hacked-up twice on Heavy ground over 2m4f earlier in the season (Ffos Las both times), and beat Cleatus Poolaw (amongst the favourites for the Pertemps) in a 3m Point, I'd be reasonably confident he will get the trip. The fact that the yard is on fire right now is an added bonus.

I've ended-up backing Corach Rambler each-way at 20's, based largely on his course form, and the fact there will be a stack of horses looking to put the pace on. On Official Ratings, he has something of a class gap to bridge, but then again, I think he is a hard horse for the handicapper to get a grip of. He is a guaranteed stayer, his price relative to Fastorslow is a bit wild based on their Ultima runs last season, and for me, he can definitely worry some of the sexier horses. I should also add that my heart will also compel me to have a few quid on Shishkin come the day, though my head tells me this might just be a trip too far for him.

I'll get my round in during the Foxhunter - though I can't see why Premier Magic can't go in again - and I'll help fetch someone else's round while Dinoblue trots round in the Mares Chase.

I'll try to figure out the Conditionals race when the decs have been made for the Coral Cup.

Last edited:
First Street. In the county. Entered in the champion hurdle,county,coral cup and m.pipe.but although Hendo says he thinks it needs further I think the county is the race he should run in.
2nd in the race behind state man giving weight away and now only a lb higher.
It has run against CH and Lossiemouth the last twice.went up 4lb for finishing 3rd to Lossiemouth but Hendo must have complained as it was dropped 2lb.
25s NRNB. And I've took 60 (£3) and 55 (£2) now 50s.

It might be Absurd to back against W.Mullins though.

Hewick is 16/1, that will at least halve by Friday

Barely any rain forecast, he is a massive player

As I type this Sir Gino is 3.2 on the machine for the Triumph so could be another Hendo body blow.

No interest in the County, Captain Teague might be interesting in the AB at double figures.

It's a mighty Gold Cup and at the moment presents a fascinating market. GDC is 5/4 against which is probably about right. I cannot cannot cannot have either Fastorslow or Shishkin. The former was beaten in a handicap here last year and the latter jumped terrible in the Ryanair. I'm on Gerri Colombe for stacks via a rollover and will likely add Bravemansgame on the day if he's still in the 20/1 range. The way last year's renewal panned out pace wise favoured GDC over Pumpkin's horse and he's overs. It's not an each way race with a few others like Corach, Hewick if the ground is decent and l'Homme Presse in with a shout.

Only other interest is Limerick Lace in the Mares. Not convinced Dinoblue will stay esp if the ground is testing.

The Triumph market appears to have stablised - he’s back in to 2.7 (still a half-point bigger than this afternoon).

The Triumph market appears to have stablised - he’s back in to 2.7 (still a half-point bigger than this afternoon).

He's gone out to 3.15 which considering the way Hendo's are running is far from generous.

However I regarded him as a real banker and he might still be.

There's a lot of space at Seven Barrows and the chances are he hasn't mixed with any of the older horse. but frankly I am guessing.

If the week goes to plan I will risk backing him because he could be different gravy to the others

RTV showed some old races this morning. One of them the RSA won by TOTG from Santini and as they went to jump off the commentator mentioned all the reported troubles the horse had been through. Yet another case of Hendo trying to manage expectations.

Thinking of Hewick and maybe Corach Rambler; if you had Grand National in mind would you run on this ground, Gold Cup or no ?

Depends if the trainer thinks it needs a run.if it's still soft then Hewick should miss it but Aintree could be soft as well.

I am taking a gamble that Sir Gino turns up 100% One of my bankers I thought before the 7barrows drama he was nailed on to win and that 1/2 was generous. I have gone all in at 7/1 in double with Gallopin.

Jinnyj, remember to keep us posted with the vibes re the Hunters tomorrow, please :)

Honestly heard anything. Thought Billaway looked in great shape this morning when he gave Patrick Mullins a bloody nose when head butting him.
Premier Magic been in good from too. A few on my forum fancy Sine Nomine too.

I am taking a gamble that Sir Gino turns up 100% One of my bankers I thought before the 7barrows drama he was nailed on to win and that 1/2 was generous. I have gone all in at 7/1 in double with Gallopin.

Now I am totally confused. Just logged on and saw Sir Gino had been withdrawn. I had a 3 figure double on with Gallopin and as there was no mention of NRNB when I placed the bet I assumed I had lost my money,

Went on to the bookies still got my bet running but with a rule 4 reduction. So I accepted the loss and cashed out.

Damned if I can work that one out......not complaining

Can anyone throw some light on it?

Back