Cheltenham Festival Handicaps 2018

Not pleased at all to see Long House Hall left in the Coral Cup he's my good thing for the Plate will be gutted if he doesn't line up.

Also Hoping Ben Dundee defects to the boys race as I have far too long of a shortlist for the Coral Cup will need some help at the final Dec stage to narrow it down.

In the Mares Hurdle Midnight Tour is 40/1 in the w/o Apples Jade market. She's also the second highest rated in the race. Having finished sixth last year in a deeper race with absolutely no luck in running she is easily the best value bet out there right now. Yes there's plenty of credible opposition, but when you're effectively getting 5 places ew on a 40/1 shot that can genuinely win in the market it's a no brainer.

That's good to know as I've just had a sort out of my ante post bets [of which there are many] and have realised I've backed her twice [albeit not without the favourite]. I really don't understand why she's 66/1. Have also backed Jers Girl in the race.

A type they've done well with in this race in the past no doubt
I'll be interested to hear any snippets from the stable as they were publicly bullish about the chances of Salut Flo when he won.

" One of our better chances" is the best Pipe Quote I can find.

The likelihood of Movewiththetimes being switched into the Plate from the novice-handicap, is helping prop-up King's Socks price, with 9/1 generally available and spots of 10/1.

King's Socks sits at #31 after today's scratchings, and will almost certainly get a run from there. I have him getting in around 18 or 19, and once he is confirmed, I'd expect the price to start going south.

Unless there's a lemming like gamble on something on the day, which is a possibility given the strong chance of soft or worse ground, I'd say he's Certain to go off Fav.

The likelihood of Movewiththetimes being switched into the Plate from the novice-handicap, is helping prop-up King's Socks price, with 9/1 generally available and spots of 10/1.

King's Socks sits at #31 after today's scratchings, and will almost certainly get a run from there. I have him getting in around 18 or 19, and once he is confirmed, I'd expect the price to start going south.

Agreed. I was pleased to see Shantou Flyer taken out of the Plate today too.

Wakanda looks overpriced for the Ultima at 33/1 with BoyleSports. 3lb rise for winning at Doncaster looks fair and he’ll go on the ground which is less likely with some of the better fancied ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on their current marks (plus an educated guess at the Irish ones), horse number 27 this year will land around Drumcliff, and allowing for another five runners latitude, would take us down to Got Away. All other things being equal, I figure the following horses currently trading in places at 16/1 or less in places, are at risk of not making the cut:

Ballyhill
Mister Whitaker
Mount Mews
Geordie Des Champs
Goose Man
Livelovelaugh
Patrick's Park

It's perhaps not such a drama if you're betting with a firm who are NRNB on all races, but if you're not, then it's perhaps worth bearing this in mind.

Usual caveats about me potentially talking shi*te apply. :cool:

Ballyhill - runner
Mister Whitaker - runner
Mount Mews - non-runner (but would have got in)
Geordie Des Champs - non-runner
Goose Man - non-runner
Livelovelaugh - runner
Patrick's Park - non-runner

Mister Whitaker is the last of the 20 to be guaranteed a run. He was #53 when entries came out - maybe useful to document this for next year.

Fu*ck knows what's gone wring with formatting.

King's Socks odds-on to get into the race, I'd say.

Testify declaring for the Close Bros moves him up to 30, and I have him landing at 21 when it all shakes-out (with 2-3 other horses going for us too). He can't fail to make at least the reserves, imo.

Last edited:
Wakanda looks overpriced for the Ultima at 33/1 with BoyleSports. 3lb rise for winning at Doncaster looks fair and he’ll go on the ground which is less likely with some of the better fancied ones

Took 25/1 with William Hill. Only 16/1 with Boyles and Betway despite Oddschecker showing 33s and 40s respectively. Disgraceful scenes

True, but Sean Quinlan brought in unexpectedly for possibly his best run to-date.

I like Wakanda. Definite place chances, imo.

Just read this from Lydia Hislop on The Sporting Life website.

"In the Ultima Handicap Chase, Shantou Flyer finally gets to step back up to three miles after shaping as if in absolute need of it for most of this season. Heavy ground suits him just fine and a switch of headgear – something that produced a spike of form in January – is a further positive, not to mention James Bowen’s 3lb claim."

Good stuff, Lydia! :)

Back