Cheltenham Festival:Thursday Races

Grasshopper

Senior Jockey
The Turners will cut-up massively, I reckon, and we could be looking at a single-figure field. That being the case, it's probably an idea to get something pricey onside. The one that sticks out to me is Le Patron (sole Festival entry is here), who is now a massive price (66/1) after flopping badly in the Henry VIII at Sandown. Not sure if he goes or not - and he might be better going right-handed - but not often you can back a G1 winner at the trip at such a price. He'll do for me.

I haven't had a long look at the Pertemps - and my record in the race can be described as shite-to-appalling - but given soft-ground and a coldish ride, I'm hopeful that Alpesh Amin (42.91) can go well.

Unless the ground quickens up appreciably, I'd have to think they'd pull Banbridge and save him for the Melling Chase, in which case Envoi Allen appeals strongly at 7/2. Stage Star surely won't get it all his own way out front again, and even if he does, EA can sit in his slipstream and go past him up the hill. I can't have Conflated, and of the remainder, I can see Fugitif outrunning odds of 20/1.

Stayers is a shitbox race and I pretty-much hate them all. Botox Has a token gesture of interest at 75 on the machine.

Will wait for decs before playing in the Plate.....or at least I'll wait for Grand Annual decs.

Will probably row in with the Elliott horse and back-up the bet with a reverse forecast with Jade De Grugy. What else can possibly get into the finish? Dysart Enos? No thanks.

Everyone in the village seems to think Inothewayurthinkin is the JP smash-up job, and I confess bone-idleness compelled me to go in at 5/1 last night.

Last edited:
My Thursday has just blown up in light of Elliott confirming on RTV that Irish Point is now going for the Champion Hurdle. Tw*t. I had lots at 16s and a few fivers at 32

Well blow me...my past is catching up with me As it turns out Anthony Charlton better known as Young Tony is an old friend of mines who actually led in a winner I owned that he looked after when with the late PA "Tony. "Charlton hence we called him Young Tony. later on he Sold a horse for me out of Jonjo's yard then we lost touch...Anyway enough tittle tattle he has 3 entered at the Festival but tbh I never asked but none of them will win if he runs them ...it's a small world..great to see he's doing well as we got on like a house on fire back in the day

Irish point nrnb is another I backed in a couple of multiples if this keeps up I could end up with 8 even money doubles....never again will I back more than a single nrnb waste of time

The Turners does look weak and I took some 5/1 NRNB about Facile Vega a week or so ago.

Aside from Gerri Colombe Banbridge is my biggest position of the week. I have 16s and 10s the latter NRNB and 14s in an ew double with Slade Steel from the previous day, which is also NRNB - so I don't mind too much if SS defers to the Supreme. With such a big price and the worry about the ground being wrong for the horse I have to protect the bet so I have Stage Star in a couple of doubles including Thunder Rock from this past Saturday. Do I add Envoi Allen? I really don't want to as he's getting on a bit and last year's renewal was utter dogshit. Hitman nearly won it ffs. Fugitif will be a bet in the place market if he goes.

I had to get involved in the Stayers as I like neither of the Robcour pair. I have Teahupoo down as a soft ground 2 1/2 miler. If it comes up deep he won't stay, if it's good he won't enjoy it. Irish Point I question the stamina, they absolutely crawled at Leapardstown in December. So as a Crambo backer from the Long Walk I've rowed in with him as nothing else appeals in the slightest.

I've backed Theatre Man in the Plate at 12s but the has price gone now a bit. If In Excelsis Deo turned up here I'd also back him but with the owner have Crebily that might be doubtful.

I backed Brighterdaysahead almost as she crossed the line in her last race I was so impressed.

No interest in the Kim Muir or Pertemps.

The lads on unibet were saying Banbridge won't goo of he doesn't get some juice in the ground..,.I have backed him nrnb nit hope he runs and wins..lost enough good horses this week already

I think they were saying Banbridge doesn’t go if there is juice in the ground, Tanlic. He’s well known to want top of the ground.

I'm sticking to Stage Star.
Noble yeats in the stayers.

I was going to do Perceval longallois in the Kim muir but he's been taken out of the betting.

I'm backing **** all more till they are at the post.I doubt if there's any benefit to be had backing this rubbish NRNB and prices for most will be better on the day

waiting around to find out where Ballyburn will run and Willie telling us SFA

I took evens about him for the Supreme nrnb 12th march in several bets...............total waste of time and money as if he dows run i could get evens if he doesn't it fuxks up about half a dozen bets

Last edited:
Re Lossiemouth 2nd in CH is worth 25k more than the Mares but Rich said it's not about the money he wants winners.........I suppose she has a chance in the CH but if he is true to his word I expect she will stay Mares or **** up another few thousand nrnb's trebles etc

What annoys me so much is all the plans have gone to ****.

For example you put on your bets in the hope a good few days and you could take 5k out of the ring

Along comes the we are switching and NR brigade and you be lucky if they all win to take a monkey out.

A double I had would have taken 1240 out now I get my stake back IF Ballyburn goes on WED that is when they get round to it. So I have 200 quid tied up till God knows when. Too bad if I didn't have the money and wanted a price on something else

Tanlic, it’s ante-post betting and the dangers are clear to everyone. There’s nae point greetin’ like a wee lassie who has skint her knee! :lol:

not used to this crap......normally I have 1 or 2 large bets on my strongest fancies and not on NRNB

I was backing Constitution Hill 11 months in advance at 3/1 by memory and backed him at crazy generous prices with Flatline last year....
Hammered Gallopin months before

Ok I was lucky they all ran and won but I'd rather lose than play these silly nrnb games where the price are absolute crap and horses drop out and **** up your bets

To each his own.

Gimme 5/2 Constitution Hill for next years Champion Hurdle I'll sell the cat the dog and the mother in law to back him:lol:

Take Tuesday everyone and there uncle knows Ballyburn doesn't go.........But Mullins leaves him in and ties up peoples money with the bookies for absolutely no reason

We might be ok but there's a lot out there that need the nrnb money back now to back their best bet of the day today

Last edited:
Seems a bit far out to be going that negative on him, though I’ve not checked TurfTrax or forecast, to be honest.

Botox Has not confirmed for Stayers.

Perceval Legallois and Good Time Johnny not confirmed for Kim Muir

Don't know if Demnat will run in one of the two h'cap chases. Ran a stinker the other day but he a horse I like and will back for small money if he gets in/runs

The Turners is turning me on as a betting race this year.

Iroko back from the sidelines. Very interesting. Djelo looks a fair price as well, he's still improving.

At a mammoth price I'm curious will Gary Moore let Le Patron take his chance, now that he will be getting cut in the ground.

The last day needs putting a line through. I might just have to back him each way if he's in the final declarations tomorrow.

Others have more compelling form claims but I'd be going on a hunch. Sometimes a hunch can pay off.

Last edited:
Back