Cheltenham Festival:Thursday Races

Well done anyone who backed Monmiral. I kept wondering about whether this was the aim but came to the conclusion the horse just wasn't as good as he used to be. I'm pretty sure the brother will have backed it but I have to admit I was urging Kyntara home just because I didn't want to see Monmiral!

Is anyone interrogating Nicholls the way they are Skelton?

I don't think so...

I thought Monmiral ran well in his qualifier as I said at the time.it was heavy going and he gave 14,16 and 19 lb to the 3 in front of him .

One of my first thoughts was Dessie will have backed that ..Didn't you have him top rated for a race a while back?

Yes. I was still prepared to allow him his old rating at that point and watched him seemingly toil so thought he didn't have it any more. That's why I often back outsiders on their old form. Here I just thought Nicholls wouldn't do a Skelton on us.

Lesson learned...

I thought Monmiral ran well in his qualifier as I said at the time.it was heavy going and he gave 14,16 and 19 lb to the 3 in front of him .

Yes I remember. He qualified from that race, if memory serves, but he didn't look in love with the game. Comment says he hung and I often read that as the jockey making sure it doesn't go through with its effort but at the end of the day I just thought one of the younger first- or second-season novices would improve past even his old form.

Maybe if he'd been 50/1...

:lol:

Stayers' Hurdle - This race could fall apart I can't have the likes of Paisley Park. Teahupoo could well win by default but it can do so at short odds.

I've got SDB to four places and FP to five places.

Flooring Porter didn’t set a fast enough pace IMO. Bring back Danny Mullins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stayers' Hurdle - This race could fall apart I can't have the likes of Paisley Park. Teahupoo could well win by default but it can do so at short odds.

I've got SDB to four places and FP to five places.

A minor loss on the race. Should have done it the other way round. The TV angles didn't really show it but SDB must have finished really strongly to get fifth. That will set him up perfectly for Aintree.

Well done anyone who backed Monmiral. I kept wondering about whether this was the aim but came to the conclusion the horse just wasn't as good as he used to be. I'm pretty sure the brother will have backed it but I have to admit I was urging Kyntara home just because I didn't want to see Monmiral!

Is anyone interrogating Nicholls the way they are Skelton?

I don't think so...

Bloody bookie has suspended my bet for some reason.

Good to see Ben Jones having his first Festival winner...great guy and he’s been riding out of his skin this season.

I need to have another look at that race Harry won at the New Year. I seem to have pegged the form back for some reason.

Interesting how many horses appear to be stopping quite quickly up the hill.

Sick as a parrot Jack Kennedy looked suptemely confident 2 out and even took a pull then some 15/1 shot on the machine does me.

Backed the next 1 favs at Hexam and Chelters i an attept to gather some funds for tomorrow..first one has won so that's a good start.

Back to the drawing board Gotta have a decent bet in Gold Cup to recoup losses

Seems I could fall into a bucket of Shyte and come out clean :lol: And what about my little friend Denmat? Backed at 100 and 80 and hit 11 in running

Typical Kim Muir - amateurs getting a total rush of blood and going a mad pace in the going.

I recall being very critical of a ride O'Connor gave one I'd backed a few years back (a certainty beat by a bad ride) but he was superb there. Sure, he had the horse but he eased it well back off the early pace and just allowed the others gradually come to a halt before asking it to go clear. Looked like a professional against idiots.

Denmat should have run in the Plate and frero banbou should have run in the GA.

Don't think he's quite there yet to win at the festival but his day will come. Worst decision of re week was the owner insisting Geovinco run in the Browns and not the Ultima a race he looked a blot on the h'cap

Cost of the thrill £19,699.16 against £70,000

Don't think he's quite there yet to win at the festival but his day will come. Worst decision of re week was the owner insisting Geovinco run in the Browns and not the Ultima a race he looked a blot on the h'cap

Cost of the thrill £19,699.16 against £70,000

This is a very good point.

I fancied a horse think it was called Time For Rupert a few years ago for the Ultima. He ran a close up fifth in the Gold Cup. Well maybe not that close up having just checked it, but he was only beaten 9 lengths. He would have gone very close in that years Ultima anyway.

From a punters point of view, the Ultima was the right race and his best chance of winning a race.

The horse that won this years Ultima from Kim Baileys yard had been recently running in novice chases just like Giovinco.

British trainers need to be more open about running good novices in the big handicaps, rather than finishing just outside the places in the graded races.

Last edited:
The big handicaps can be hard on young horses and it needs to be the right type, and at the likes of Cheltenham everything is that much harder.

That said, one of my main MOs is following novices when they move into handicaps.

Ultima - Chianti - 1st season novice; Twig - ditto
G Annual - Unex Party - 2nd season novice; Lib H - 1st season novice; Path D - ditto; Sa Fureur - ditto
Plate - Crebilly - 1st SN
Kim Muir - INTWYT - 1st SN

Back