Cheltenham Flop of the Week

Ardross

Senior Jockey
Must be Woolcombe Folly - I could never understand all the hoopla about that handicap win .

Closely followed by Cue Card and all the others who went for the disastrous no runs after the December Cheltenham meeting route . That may be a blessing in disguise if all trainers finally realise that not all horses are Best Mate , Kauto or Denman and probably would benefit from a run after Jan 1 .

I'm not sure So Young flopped, it was comfortably his best performance. He had no form to justify being the price he was, and I love how every year bar none there is a horse from Ireland with his profile backed into some crazy price.

I never did :).

I would have thought flop suggested a poor performance compared with prior form? I disagree with a lot of the short priced horses (Cue Card) so didn't consider them to have underperformed.

The amount of people in the paddock, far too many; the length of time it took to make the presentations which prevented horses walking round the whole length of the paddock; no immediate repeat of the close finish involving Final Approach and just a picture of 'Photo Finish' spinning for ages on the screen.
No Jack The Giant.

Zaynar ran predictably poorly. But people clearly fancied him as he started off at 12 to 1.

Robinson Collonges ran very poorly.

Mikael flopped, whatever way you look at it.

Aiteen Thirtythree flopped.

Aegean Dawn and Call the Police were very disappointing.

Knight Pass was a huge disappointment. Did anything come to light for him or Raise the Beat?

I thought Time for Rupert looked a bit slow in his previous race.I don't think he is anything special.I also believe there were no excuses for Master Minded.

Last edited:
Zaynar ran predictably poorly. But people clearly fancied him as he started off at 12 to 1.

Robinson Collonges ran very poorly.

Mikael flopped, whatever way you look at it.

Aiteen Thirtythree flopped.

Aegean Dawn and Call the Police were very disappointing.

Knight Pass was a huge disappointment. Did anything come to light for him or Raise the Beat?

Robinson Collonges was very disappointing indeed.

Aiteenthirtythree is the worst handicapped horse in training now.

As for the 2 bumper horses, I was massively against both (backed several and still didn't get a place) - one won off a slow pace (unreliable) and a 2m5 bumper winner should be 50/1 to win a Champion Bumper.

Aegean Dawn's run may be possible to write off with his poor prep.

Would Mikael not have being in contention with a few to jump?

A sad thread imo. There are no flops. It was a great week some horses underperformed and what is the point of this thread. The biggest 'shock' which no one in the press will dare mention as no JP winner, Get Me Out Of Here getting nailed from 14's 7s and getting done a nose must have hurt the great gambler. Why keep O Neil, either the biggest mistake in the history of racing or loyalty beyond reproach. Can't be much in between, surely.

Last edited:
If Kempes had won the Gold Cup it was time to find another sport.
:) My thoughts exactly.

Didn't someone (maybe Bar?) say sometime in the last week that every Gold Cup has an outrageously priced horse that 6 months later you wonder what were people thinking?

The thing with Kempes is you could see this before the off.

A sad thread imo. There are no flops. It was a great week some horses underperformed and what is the point of this thread. The biggest 'shock' which no one in the press will dare mention as no JP winner, Get Me Out Of Here getting nailed from 14's 7s and getting done a nose must have hurt the great gambler.

To repeat what I said on another thread, the horse apologises for not being able to breathe properly.

Horse has no need to apologise to me I didn't back it, as a punter I promised myself a long time ago never to back a Jonjo horse again until they start looking like racehorses not show pony's. Just stating the obvious in a sense. I couldn't care less but anyway, 'greatist flop of the week Cue Card in the first (nap).

Last edited:
Closely followed by Cue Card and all the others who went for the disastrous no runs after the December Cheltenham meeting route . That may be a blessing in disguise if all trainers finally realise that not all horses are Best Mate , Kauto or Denman and probably would benefit from a run after Jan 1 .

this is most relevant point from the whole week

and its only late in career that Denman and kauto have had these breaks. Frankly this "put away now until Gold cup 2015" crap has more than a whiff of fashion about it than good sense

Captain Chris ran twice in Feb

Especially with novices. Cue card was the one that baffled me. Its almost as if trainers are trying to be (or appear) cleverer than they are

Back