Cheltenham Flop of the Week

what about Sam Winner?
Final Approach also saved him of embarrasment.
Big bucks losing the whip?

Last edited:
what about Sam Winner?
Final Approach also saved him of embarrasment.
Big bucks losing the whip?

1. Sam Winner was just outpaced - not jockey error

2. Final Approach - made a terrible mistake at the first - Ruby did very well to get him up

3. Jockeys drop the whip from time to time . Great tactical ride otherwise .

I think the whole thing about an Irish talking horse is fuelled as much from UK as it is from Ireland. There's a desire from England to figure out who the Irish 'talking horse' for this year is...as if there would be one. The So Young discussion only really cranked up a notch on Monday/Tuesday with Willie Mullins saying so publicly he was his best chance of the week, even after the Hurricane delivered . Dunguib was going on for 6 months. No comparison between the two, whatsoever.

Yes, there is a tendency for Irish novice hurdlers to arrive with incredible reputations. But there is also a tendency for English novice chasers who have racked up sequences in poorly contested events to arrive with similarly inflated reputations.

Remember...Seebald went off favourite against Moscow Flyer in the Arkle!!!

Cue card form would have put you off Menorah?

My biggest flop...Twiston Davies horses and most of Paul Nicholls and Henderson runners. Glad I never backed them yet still I went bust:lol:

Last edited:
So it is not all Irish. There was a Henderson mare who was ridiculously short for the Supreme a few years back.

If you're talking about Amaretto Rose, Bar, she was about right price if the ground had actually been the Soft given by the Clerk of the Course, rather than the actual Good ground the times indicated two races in.

The going report for the start of the Tuesday that year was one of two things; unadulterated lies, or gross negligence on the part of the cretin Claisse. In an industry not short on clueless, chinless wankers, he still sets the standard imo.

I agree with an earlier post Aiteen Thirtythree must be the worst handicapped horse in training. But For Non Stop remains one to keep on the right side of.

the price of So Young was absurd
Oscar Wells should have been clear favorite

So Young is the horse to take out of the festival for me.... knuckled on landing at the last.. He was hyped an it didn't happen on the day but i think he was unlucky.

Won't be the last u see of him, I think if u watch it again he's the winner coming to the last.....either that or it would have been 2nd to oscars

Both Rock on Ruby and First Lieutenant are flattered by the result, and i tink the other 2 are the ones with the better future ahead of them.

Woah there...First Lieutenant is in the right hands. Big future ahead over fences, this race was only part of the plan.

Woah there...First Lieutenant is in the right hands. Big future ahead over fences, this race was only part of the plan.

It's easy to make false generalisations about a trainer like that to support your point of view..... as opposed to relying on facts to support your argument.

On this basis; we ignore the form of First Lieutenant's run, the fact that he was on the nod with Rock on Ruby, a horse Walsh passed over in favour of So Young.

As for the future prospects, alot is made of how "shrewed" Mouse is at getting them to Cheltenham in good order..... but we mustn't forget who was champion trainer there last week.

It's equally easy to erroneously write-off a horse's future prospects based solely on it being passed over by a jockey in a given race.

The "facts" are that Oscars Well was being reeled-in with every stride between the last two, had been joined at the final flight, and that both Rock On Ruby and First Lieutenant both ran on strongly all the way to the line. Even with the error at the last, there's zero evidence to suggest So Young was in any better a winning position than the first two home.

To suggest either was "flattered" by the result is completely wrong, based on my viewing of the race.

Last edited:
"both ran on strongly all the way to the line"....

How's that judged?

Also to suggest the front two were going to finish ahead of Oscars is a total mis read as far as I can see, and I think you'll find the exchanges bore that fact out as they approached the last.....

I think it was as much a case of one gutsy horse reeling in a tired one in the last 200 yards, with in my view 2 better horses in behind...

Cos people never get it wrong on the exchanges! Your argument lost credibility there.

This debate can go nowhere. Mouse knows a good one when he sees it...and anything FL did over hurdles was always going to be a bonus. So Young could well end up hurdling at 2 miles next year, and be a huge success at it. But I'd be happy enough to take the winner home out of any of them..

Oscar Wells was indeed travelling very well but who knows what he would have found up the hill . The real problem with rating the race is the very sedate pace at which it was run which frankly strikes me as possibly suiting First Lieutenant the least of the four principals .

Back