Cheltenham Friday

Lump on Theroadtocroker E/W and then pocket the place money if he chases home Garde Champetre and pocket the lot if he wins :)

Martin

Friday is one of those cards you attack with relish because it's so long since you've seen a card like it, but in truth good bets very thin on the ground. In the belief that Sound Stage needed the run at Aintree (certainly looked to be carrying condition) I'm hoping he can build on some of his very solid form under similar conditions in the 1.10.

Crack Away Jack a real poser with it easy to make a case for 4/1 being far too big or far too skinny. I really liked the way Tanks For That went through the race when second on the other course behind Woolcombe Folly and think fresh might be a good time to catch him. Henderson's been unstoppable over last week or so too.

The novice chase at 4.05 is a real cracker and don't have a strong view on it. Grands Crus will be as good around two and a half miles as 3m, possibly better, and as promising as Cue Card was over hurdles, he wasn't a 170 performer, despite having his chance to be having been pitched in against the best. The 5 lb Grand Crus and the fact that he won't be fav means I'll side with him.

Agree with DJ that it looks a tricky card but there are a few in here that look seriously overpriced to me:

I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea but I personally love the XC races and would like to see more of them. I think Theroadtocroker is a big price at 20/1 in this, he has little rules form to go on but did hit short odds IR on both ventures to the Punchestown Banks course at last seasons Punchestown Festival, they were far worse races than this but he's one of the few in the field with decent form in XC/Banks races having also finished runner-up at Dieppe in June and shown decent form at the Lingstown banks course. The worry is the trip of 3m 7f since he went out like a light in a listed race LTO after an awkward jump mid-race but at 20/1 I don't mind taking a chance (particularly E/W if the 8 runners remain).

The second horse I think is overpriced is Kayef for Michael Scudamore who's available at 33/1 with Boylesports. He debuted at this track behind Sam Winner last year and though disappointing he subsequently won at Sandown before running a solid race in the Fred Winter. He was midfield on that occasion and though not dropped for that run it's one of the most competitive races of teh year and he's since shown useful form on the flat behind the likes of Activate and earlier in the season Zigato and crucially a liking for decent ground. John Kington has a decent record for the yard this season (2 from 7) including riding a big priced winner (Bounds And Leaps) for them at Chepstow last month and I think he can go well at a big price.

arrived at the course,there's quite a word for Tigre d'aron,although I haven' backed it in my multiple which I did in the town.nice atmosphere here today without the hussle and bussle of the festival. I've backed barel of laughs,tanks for that,Garde champetre,steps to freedom,shuil royale and cue card-a smallish Heinz and A lumpy bet on Cue card which will pay for my weekend!!
rightyo off for a Guinness.

I'll take a chance on Ericht in the novice hurdle. Always looked a burly type in Bumpers to me, and jumping/a trip will be the making of him, I reckon. Hoping he can take advantage of the main players being penalised.

Friday is one of those cards you attack with relish because it's so long since you've seen a card like it, but in truth good bets very thin on the ground. In the belief that Sound Stage needed the run at Aintree (certainly looked to be carrying condition) I'm hoping he can build on some of his very solid form under similar conditions in the 1.10.

Crack Away Jack a real poser with it easy to make a case for 4/1 being far too big or far too skinny. I really liked the way Tanks For That went through the race when second on the other course behind Woolcombe Folly and think fresh might be a good time to catch him. Henderson's been unstoppable over last week or so too.

The novice chase at 4.05 is a real cracker and don't have a strong view on it. Grands Crus will be as good around two and a half miles as 3m, possibly better, and as promising as Cue Card was over hurdles, he wasn't a 170 performer, despite having his chance to be having been pitched in against the best. The 5 lb Grand Crus and the fact that he won't be fav means I'll side with him.

Great stuff DJ. I loved the horse last year, but had given up on him so saver after CAJ bet was quite nice.

I'll take a chance on Ericht in the novice hurdle. Always looked a burly type in Bumpers to me, and jumping/a trip will be the making of him, I reckon. Hoping he can take advantage of the main players being penalised.

Agree completely.

I've done a small ew double with Martin's yoke in the Cross Country and Ericht, to see can I get a position going into his race. I have big hopes for this horse.

Thank God the winter season is back so we can see the hero's of the jumps week in week out...

In other news Steps To Freedom is to be put away for until the festival.

Back