Cheltenham Watering

Well, the predictions of serious storms were spot on - they woke me up c. 0330 and I only dozed thereon in, until my mobile rang at five to six! We're not getting our horses out today and I'd say there'd be plenty of other yards who might struggle as well. It's still raging now.

Sounds about right - the wind is strong though.

Everything died down for around an hour or so here but the wind is picking up again - apparently there are supposed to be more storms throughout the day.

Looking at the way it died down for a while I'd have thought that yards would probably be ok to get out - I can see why our lot abandoned early doors though! In all fairness our gallops are very open and the wind doesn't half catch you on certain bends, even when it's not too strong. At least it's given me an opportunity to get a few things done before the pilgramage mind!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Latest radar images. If you click on the play button you'll get an animation showing whats gone through in the last 8 hours. It seems to have rained heavily in the Cheltenham area at about 3.00 last night and steadily up to about 7 this morning. There appear to be a heavy concentration heading their way currently which is on the 'head of the valleys' and about 50 miles west but seemingly going in a direct line and due to hit within the next couple of hours.

To me it sounds as thought Cheltenham going wont be too bad. Certainly not as testing as it could have been. If any of the rain misses and the forecast wind keeps blowing the ground will dry out again.

CHELTENHAM AVOID STORMS
Cheltenham racecourse has survived the forecast storms so far, with clerk of the course Simon Claisse expecting only a little more rain before the start of the Festival.
Strong wind and heavy rain were forecast over the weekend but Prestbury Park has avoided the worst of the weather and it's all systems go for the four-day racing bonanza.
"It hasn't been so bad here," said Claisse. "We had wins up to 50mph last night and they could have been 60 or 70mph so I think we got away quite lightly.
"We've had 10mm of rain, most of it came in the early hours of this morning. I've just changed the going on the Old Course which will be used on Tuesday and Wednesday to Good-Good to Soft in places, the Cross Country course remains Good and the New Course for Thursday and Friday is Good to Soft-Good in places.
"We expect to get a little more rain later today and a little more tomorrow morning."

I was in Ladbrokes before putting some Cheltenham/Guineas doubles on and the guy reporting from the course on their own channel i presume said it was raining there at that moment (about 1PM ish) and it was looking good for Denman.

We had more storms around 12-1ish here with more rain before it brightened up again. The wind has picked back up here now and started raining again! I'm around an hour away though.

Is it looking like being on the soft side of good now or are we likely to have genuine good ground?

Not saying I'm right, Gal, but that was my first thought and, considering the rain we have had, I am struggling to believe it hasn't rained for about 20 hours.

Latest report on RP website says most on the spot agree it shades just on the Good side of Good to Soft for today, but they will prob call G/S.

I don't think it will suit genuine Good ground horses like Harchi

Heavy rain for around half an hour....eased now but I bet the word soft is in greater use after the first race.

Anyone seen a Supreme Novices time yet? RUK handtimed it at over 4mins, which would only be the fifth time since 1988.

Back