Cheltenham Watering

I am surprised there are not more comments about the ground for the first day.

gs is the official ground but seeing the times and how horses were finishing the races it is more soft (heavy in places) for me.

I agree, but is that favouring NH bred horses over flat breds as one would expect?
I don't think it is... But it does seem to be favouring the lighter French-breds over the heaver built Irish etc... that's just a gut impression btw, I haven't counted heads

4 Irish breds won yesterday, 1 French, 1 British. Probably close to what you'd expect purely based on weight of numbers?

Anyway, to put the ground into perspective:

Sublimity's Champion Hurdle will forever be down in the form book as being Soft.

Katchit's Champion Hurdle will forever be down in the form book as being Good To Soft.

Ridiculous.

Ch 4 showed the clods coming up, in slow motion.
But the telling thing was how far stretched out the fields were at the finish of each race

Does anyone know how the weather is behaving at Cheltenham today, apart from the winds obviously. Has there been any more rain, and was there any overnight? And what about forecasts for tomorrow?

The strong winds will obviously help to dry the ground out should there be no more wet weather, are we likely to get good ground afterall now tomorrow? Already changed my mind on the Champion Chase twice because of the forecast going, heh.

by Tony Smurthwaite

THE high winds at Cheltenham had a further impact on Wednesday afternooon when the official going was changed in advance of Thursday's ten-race card.

Drying conditions and some sunshine led clerk of the course Simon Claisse to change the ground from good to soft, to good to soft (good in places) on both New and Old courses.

The Old course is in use for Thursday's racing and the Old course will be used for Friday's nine-race card.

Back