Cheltenham

Not been yet - mainly because in my experience Cheltenham couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

Good luck to those who do go - it's the TV and Pringles for me :)

This is my second year in going, went to the gold cup last year which was fantastic. Stayed in a place called chipping camden.

This is my second year in going, went to the gold cup last year which was fantastic. Stayed in a place called chipping camden.

I have never been:o Plan to go in 2010..Would the crowds-traffic make it a really uncomfortable experience?? I guess I can only really use Galway as my yardstick, unbelieveably overcrowded and a little too much hassle for my liking. Still the quality of the racing has to make it worthwhile??

I have never been:o Plan to go in 2010..Would the crowds-traffic make it a really uncomfortable experience?? I guess I can only really use Galway as my yardstick, unbelieveably overcrowded and a little too much hassle for my liking. Still the quality of the racing has to make it worthwhile??

Was absolutely fine last year and there was plenty of room to move about if you had a club enclosure ticket. It can take a while to get a drink but then I was wrecked on Gold Cup day from the night before and did not start drinking until about 4:00! The pubs were pretty ok too and the craic is great!

No comparison with Galway which is a complete an utter nightmare these days and I will not be heading back until the festival junkies clear off.

Considered going but the crowds put me off.

Would much rather Glorious Goodwood, Sussex Stakes etc for a day at the races.

Would much rather Glorious Goodwood, Sussex Stakes etc for a day at the races.

Was there the day Soviet Song won her Sussex Stakes (Shamardal hacked up in the Vintage that day as well). Thoroughly enjoyed it - great atmosphere.

Love Galway week as well though - I would actually love to do a Goodwood/Galway trip (Goodwood Tuesday/Wednesday then on to Ballybrit) sometime!

Glorious Goodwood when the sun shines is heaven on earth. Stay in Arundel or Chichester and you'll never be happier.

No greater place, spectacle, craic, people, atmosphere.

Oh and the dancing girls draughted in from all over the country they aint bad either.

Do you think the Euro/Pound rate will reduce the amount of Irish which come over? Hope not as they seriously contribute to making it what it is.

No greater place, spectacle, craic, people, atmosphere.

Oh and the dancing girls draughted in from all over the country they aint bad either.

Do you think the Euro/Pound rate will reduce the amount of Irish which come over? Hope not as they seriously contribute to making it what it is.

Why would it?

It makes things far cheaper for the Irish now.

I know what you mean - due to working in the wrong industries, Cheltenham week was pretty much the one week no-one was allowed to take as holiday. I've been to the last two and same as Grey, can't really imagine missing it now.

I first went in 1989. The day Beech Road won the Champion Hurdle, Waterloo Boy won The Arkle, Sondrio won The Supreme Novices and Rustle won The Stayers Hurdle.

The weather was desperate. Probably still in the top ten worse days on that score, but still a great day. I have been every year since.

Was absolutely fine last year and there was plenty of room to move about if you had a club enclosure ticket. It can take a while to get a drink but then I was wrecked on Gold Cup day from the night before and did not start drinking until about 4:00! The pubs were pretty ok too and the craic is great!

No comparison with Galway which is a complete an utter nightmare these days and I will not be heading back until the festival junkies clear off.

That's sound DistantView..You have convinced me to give Cheltenham a whirl. Galway is farcical these times, traffic is mayhem..Can't get near a bookie nor a bar!! I suppose I imagined Cheltenham to be 2 or 3 bigger so therefore much worse than Galway.

There is a lot more space at Cheltenham than at some other tracks, although some areas can get a bit crushing during the Festival.

After a few years of driving / taxi-ing there and getting fed up with the traffic, we decided to take advantage of the bus service that runs from the Railway Station or Town Centre and returns at the end of racing. Cheaper than taxis, who always overcharge, and much more relaxed. They stop outside WH Smiths who always have a massive supply of the Post in.

Worth getting up a bit earlier, strolling through town, catching the bus and having a drink when we arrive before all the fun kicks off.

The bars are always very busy and on a wet day very crowded. Best advice is to get there early and get to know a member of the bar staff. Always more likely to respond quickly to a face they know.

The crowd is usually a great mixed bunch of people and, as hospitality bookings are down this year, much more likely to be proper racing fans again!

Hope you give us a go, Pricewise, it is a terrific experience. I used to be able to hear the crowd from my classroom down the road - until I started bunking off to join them!

In the evenings there are plenty of places to eat, lots of pubs and quite a few, like Taylors, have live music of all sorts. I'm told by a colleague of mine that the Cheltenham clubs are a bit "greasy" but who'd notice with good company and good booze?!

You'd want to book places to stay well in advance in Cheltenham itself - and if you want to eat, you want to pre-book also, you'll be lucky to get a table if you don't.

1st time im going into club this year always go in tatts whats the space like in there and is it easier to get a bet on?

Club is much easier to move through alright.

Cannot really tell you about how easy it is to have a bet as I have not had a bet at the track over the past two years.

Back