Christmas Racing Quiz

rorydelargy

At the Start
Hugh Taylor has put together an excellent Christmas Quiz on ATR, and I hope he doesn't mind if I re-post the questions here. Here's the direct link: http://bit.ly/dh2AWu , and here are the questions:

1. A Newbury maiden in the last 30 years saw a future Derby winner and a future Champion Hurdle winner both finish outside the first ten. Name the two horses.

2. At which English racecourse did Galileo make his last public appearance on this side of the Atlantic before retiring?

3. Which current TV pundit rode his first winner under Rules in August 1977 on Wanlockhead?

4. Which jockey’s two rides in Britain in 1983 saw him pick up a ban in the Derby and then get disqualified from second place in the Champion Stakes?

5. What significant event took place at 11am on 30th October 1989?

6. In 1969 Bill O’Gorman rode the first career winner for which Aberdeen-born trainer?

7. In the late 1980s a sprinter owned by Hamdan Al Maktoum won nine races at Lingfield. Name the horse and his trainer.

8. Which Northern trainer won a Classic, three major sprints and also had a Cheltenham Festival winner within the space of 18 months in the 1970s?

9. Which owner won the 1000 Guineas in the 1940s, the Derby in the 1960s and the Grand National in the 1980s?

10. Which Middleham trainer who died in 1984 has a race named in his memory at Thirsk?

11. What do trainers Tom Dascombe, Rod Millman and former trainer Len Lungo have in common (the answer should include a now-retired trainer’s name)?

12. Former William Hill PR David Hood rode the second-ever runner saddled by which well-known trainer in a Huntingdon novice hurdle in 1987?

13. Who is the only trainer to have achieved the feat of 1000 winners both on the Flat and over jumps?

14. Who turned down the offer to ride as Sheikh Mohammed’s first jockey in 1993?

15. Which horse won 14 races at Plumpton in the late 1980s/early 19990s, including one selling handicap hurdle five times, but never won anywhere else?

16. Which now-veteran trainer saddled a horse that won 12 times at Beverley and a Welsh National winner?

17. Full Circle Thoroughbreds bought a horse to run in the Grand National for a reported six-figure fee, but he won only an amateur riders’ race at Thirsk — name the horse.

18. The six people short-listed for the position of BBC TV racing correspondent in November 1965, all of whom were asked to commentate on a race at Newbury as part of their interview, included two future trainers. One was Gavin Pritchard-Gordon, name the other.

19 Which horse in the last 30 years ran in the Grand National having refused at Plumpton, unseated rider at Plumpton, fallen at Folkestone and unseated rider at Lingfield that same season?

20. What do former jockeys Nicky Adams, Sashi Righton and Sam Stronge have in common?

Think I know the answers for 2,5,8,11,15,16 and 20 without cheating (pretty pathetic really).

Last edited:
I know the answers to none of these without cheating (though I'd hazard a guess at Easterby for #8)

I know a couple and could have a good guess at a couple of others, though I wasn't born when half of these occurred. Some seriously hard questions though, Rory, however old you are.

Rory has modestly neglected to add that he managed to come up with the correct answer to all 20 within a couple of hours. I set the quiz up to be non-google friendly but I reckon if you can get 10+ right you are doing pretty well. We'll put the answers up later this week.

Rory has waaaay too much time on his little puddies! I can't think of one answer off the top of my head - well, maybe two, but that's pushing it. Shocking.

I reckon I could answer ten and have a good stab at another 2 or 3.Rory if you got 20 I am sending you my anorack.

It depends on which of the four registered GALILEOs we're talking about, Luke - if it's the Irish one, the answer begins with 'A'!

Last edited:
I know the answer to number 20 and that's about it without thinking about it and the brain has been hibernating for some time now.

I reckon I know about 5. Anyone getting 15 or above is a proper racing anorak. Intrigued to see what the answer to Q.5 will be.

Back